Vocal Technique - Help please ;)

Originally posted by kamikaze
King is a bad ass singer with quite the range, I wouldnt be surprised if that guy did some opera.

Agreed :cool:

oh btw I just read eeramajarvi's post and she's right, when you use falsetto you'll crack a hell lot of times, you have to master the technique incredibly to not crack your voice (example of this is King Diamond he's damn good) using head voice will give you a lot more versatility/control and also if you have the physical ability you can get the range of falsetto using head voice without the cracks :D

eh sorry for posting again:eek:
Dikinson doesn't use falsetto, most of the high pitched vocals that you hear from those vocalists is head voice. With falsetto you don't have much control of your voice and you'll end up cracking as I said before:D your teacher should teach you how to use head voice and be able to sing that way (but in the end it all depends on your ability) and btw you seem to like wide range singers have you ever heard of symphony x?Russell Allen is one of the best examples i've ever heard of a singer not using falsetto (and what a range and emotion:eek: ) if you hear some of his work it can help you learn how to get the high notes as well as the low notes.

How low are you trying to sing? when you sing high does your throat hurts? if you're trying to reach real low notes (and I mean low :lol: ) try to sing from your guts (this may seem awkward :lol: ) I mean don't try to scream the hell out of you, I explained to another guy how to do growls if you're trying to reach real low notes it pretty much works that way.

Here's the thread (even if you aren't going to work with growls I recommend you to take a look at it :D)

Ps.If you really have vocal chord damage it can't be reversed :s

Growl

If your throat hurts, it doesn't necessarily mean you chords are damaged, but that you're either forcing your voice into singing a bigger range than you have or that you're using the wrong technique. (or both)
And also, don't practise more than one hour at once. It might be too much for your voice at first.
You've got mail, Feanor! :)

Hey people, I would like to hear you all! Feanor, Ultimate_symphony... care to post your work?

Talking about range (btw, thanks for your e-mail Eramaajarvi :)), what would be a good range for a male singer? No head voice, no nothing, just pure normal, natural chest voice. I mean, as I said, I've just started my lessons and I'm still trying to work on my chest voice. I believe we'll move to the head voice later on, am I right?

Anyway, what would a good range be for now?

thanks in advance ;)

I'm sending it tomorrow! What level are you on as a singer?

Feanor: well, I guess it'd be just as any other normal non-singer's voice, around 1 octave to 1,5. But that's speech mainly. In the very beginning it's not THAT hard to get a bigger range. An opera singer's voice (male or female) can be around 3 octaves. (and I have 3 *bragout* ;))

The chest voice range is pretty much 1 1/2 to 2 octaves but there's no real rule on how much range you need if you're a male singer (it all depends what type of vocal folds you have) check this out:

Tenor (I think this is the style you want to sing in, Bruce Dikinson is a dramatic tenor)
Vocal Range-B an octave below middle C up to High C or D

Baritone
Vocal Range-G or F an octave below middle C to F or G above middle C

Bass
Vocal Range-E (could be lower)an octave below middle C to E or F above middle C

all of this is general and all depends on your physical ability.

oh and btw eraamajarvi I sure wish I could post some of my vocals (clean and death style also) but I still don't have any recording stuff (not even a mic :mad: ) on my comp, the closest thing that I have is some lyrics that I write from time to time (I still have them due :s) i'm gonna post them in the musician's section in the syx board. hang in there :)

ah eramajaarvi you posted first:lol: btw pretty good range you have there but don't get too cocky ;) :p

oh btw let me post a description of each voice style (maybe it'll help ya)

Tenor-Light, Colorful

Baritone-Thick,Rich

Bass-Heavy,Voluminous

It's not neccessarily like that.

Let me give you a closer one. :) (i'll write both for female and male voices which U_S forgot, starting from the highest)

Female voices:
Coloratura soprano - going higher than the normal soprano, usually sounding a lot lighter and happier
Soprano - the most common one (which i'm happy I don't sing :p).
Dramatic soprano - soprano, usually going lower than the usual soprano (still not mezzo tho) and sounding a bit darker too.
Mezzosoprano - the middle voice, often not even heard in female choirs, the voice with usually biggest range
Alto (also known as female tenor) - deepest one, with a big range, often mistaken for a male voice
Contra-alto - deeper than male tenor, almost as baritone, sounding very dark

Male voices:
Contra-tenor - going high as the mezzosoprano, often in falsetto. Very rare vocal.

my clasification was very general :lol: and only for males 'cause he's a male singer so no offense to the lady singers hehe:D

oh btw eraamajarvi you know any good mics or recording stuff I could buy?

Feanor another thing I would like to add besides the lessons of your teacher you should try to learn also from the internet (I think I posted some websites on the growl thread) and if you got any questions feel free to drop by and post them maybe eraamajarvi and this bastard here could help you :D

Haha, I'll check out the sites, asap. BTW, I don't know what exactly is my range, but my teacher says it's very good (not that she stood mesmerized, just that it is better than ok, I guess ;)).

Suposing, from what you said, that it must be around a bit more than 1,5 octave, how much is it logical to finaly become, through exercise etc?

And something else: please explain to me some things about that chest/head/falsetto ways of singing. What exactly do I get in every of them? I mean, say I've got that 1,5 octave and 'widen' it as much as I will logically do. After that point, how do I reach even higher notes? Head? And, if yes, what range should I expect to reach there? And then I can go even a bit higher with falsetto? Or... are there any other widespread techniques? So, how much should I expect my TOTAL range to become, including chest, head and everything?

BTW, I am not a fan of Bruce Dickinson. I don't like his vocals so much. They're just ok, to me. I just use him as an example of what I mean by 'high notes'. So, I will repeat myself again, getting on everybody's nerves: will I, normally, learn how to reach that kind of stuff in my classes? (I can reach them quite easily by myself, but I believe that it's safer not to try too hard, as I will only hurt my throat.)

Once again, millions of thanks for your so generous help, and sorry if I sound a bit like an ungrateful asshole, repeating the same questions again and again. That's really not me, but I'm so anxious to learn what I should expect from my voice... :) I mean, honestly, I love singing and I always thought my voice is good. Not as my guitarplaying which is... ughm ughm... let's say average :) :) :) Now that I'm starting with real lessons I'm afraid that it'll turn out that I was only yelling my guts out and that's not really singing. And I'm just so impatient to learn if my voice can actually reach what I thought it could.......

Anyway, thanks again! :)

hehe don't worry about that it's all cool :D
How much range you'll have in the end denpends on how much practice you do and and your physical ability but with head voice you should get about 1 octave more than chest(and even more)

Chest Voice-Usually untrained singers sing this way (examples of this are many thrash singers wich I refer to them as ''shouters''James Hetfield, Dave Mustain etc)with this type of singing you'll usually sing low,intermediate notes with full control.

Head Voice-Changing from chest to head voice smoothly is troublesome for singers (practice makes perfect)with this type of singing you'll be able to reach the high notes with much more control and strenght than falsetto.

Falsetto-If you aren't a trained singer and try to sing higher notes too hard you may break into a falsetto, you can hit the higher notes with falsetto but won't have the control and strenght that you'll have with head voice.

Hope that helped a little :headbang:

What he said! :)

Feanor, you're not any kind of bother to me, really :) I'm actually happy I can help and pretty overwhelmed to see a guy so much into singing and in general a person eager to learn. Keep it up!
I wish i had so much desire to practise my contrabass as you do with singing :)

No problem it's great to help a fellow singer here :D oh btw nop I don't have ICQ but I have MSN messenger and two e-mails if that's any good :D

Hi guys, again

another question, here: how much should I 'trust' my teacher? I mean, as I've repeatedly highlighted, I'm into high-pitched vocals, I just love this way of singing. "Head voice", as you said. Well, I'm just suspicious, whether my teacher will actually get me to this or let me shout out every possible note I can. Is it a part of vocal lessons this 'head voice', or am I walking the wrong way, with these classes? I have, of course, told her that my fav singer is Freddie Mercury, so I guess she knows quite what I want. :)

But, should I worry? I mean, I assume that if I try to maximize my chest voice I will ruin my throat. Is there any danger in that?

BTW, do you believe that it's better taking lessons from a metal fan so that I can be sure that I'll give more attention to the style I want?

And, for the end :))) please give me a rough time schedule, how it generally works. I now work only with my chest voice. About when should I move on to the head voice? I mean, my teacher told me that I first need to become 'perfect' at low notes and then go on to techniques for the higher notes. I assume she meant head voice. About when will that happen?

Thanksssssss............ :):D:):D:)