Vocal Technique - Help please ;)

Chris! Long time no see :)

I'll send it :)

I unleashede my vocalchords yesterday on the Sinergy gig, me and 2 other fans got on satage to sing, but I was really the only one who caught the mic ;)

Btw, feanor, try with classical singing classes. Those are muchmore useful for you as a rock singer that "rock" singing classes. Those usually turn you into Ricky Martin ;)

Irrelevant question: I got a cold and it seems like my voice is completely shit. What should I do to help it recover and get through the whole thing easier. Hmmm, as for the classical lessons, that's not a bad idea, definitely. I'll try to look around for it..... :)

Thx! :)

cool, the scarf is already a beloved companion of my clothes when I'm out. I hate getting a cold, and I hate being unable to speak/sing, so I had adopted the scarf-technique ;)

BTW, I had an interview with Timo Kotipelto earlier today ;) How do you like him, people?

Just curious :)

Yeah...I'm also a big fan of high-pitched vocals...unfortunately, I seem to be cursed with a moderately low vocal range (Although it's not TOO bad, I can't hit the high notes I want to [Examples of vocalists that I WANT a style similar to: Michael Kiske, Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson, Matt Barlow, Tim "Ripper" Owens, Harry Conklin {Jag Panzer}]). To give a good example of what I've found my vocal range to be, I can hit every note that Falconer's vocalist can (Or at least does on their self-titled album).

The question is...would it be possible for me to develop a "head voice" to sing high-pitched, like the aforementioned vocalists? Or would I have to resort to falsetto? (And then, chances are I'd end up sounding like King Diamond...I really dig his vocals, but that's not the sound I'm going for.)

Originally posted by Feanor IV
Hi guys, again

another question, here: how much should I 'trust' my teacher? I mean, as I've repeatedly highlighted, I'm into high-pitched vocals, I just love this way of singing. "Head voice", as you said. Well, I'm just suspicious, whether my teacher will actually get me to this or let me shout out every possible note I can. Is it a part of vocal lessons this 'head voice', or am I walking the wrong way, with these classes? I have, of course, told her that my fav singer is Freddie Mercury, so I guess she knows quite what I want. :)

But, should I worry? I mean, I assume that if I try to maximize my chest voice I will ruin my throat. Is there any danger in that?

BTW, do you believe that it's better taking lessons from a metal fan so that I can be sure that I'll give more attention to the style I want?

And, for the end :))) please give me a rough time schedule, how it generally works. I now work only with my chest voice. About when should I move on to the head voice? I mean, my teacher told me that I first need to become 'perfect' at low notes and then go on to techniques for the higher notes. I assume she meant head voice. About when will that happen?

Thanksssssss............ :):D:):D:)

Bah I got plenty of work to do and I have to help you guys out huh?:mad: hehe just kidding i'll get to that later :p

Well my recommendation is to tell her that you want her to teach you how to use head voice and how to change from chest voice to head voice smoothly and widen your range. And you won't be able to maximize your chest voice too much without noticing (if you try to hit high notes in chest voice you'll push yourself too much and run out of air :p )

And I can't really give you a time schedule because I don't really know how teachers work (I never took lessons from a teacher, all from the internet and on my own) but I agree with her that you should do the low notes perfect at first and then move into the higher notes (though I think you won't requier much time on that) what will take you some time to master is the change from chest voice to head voice and widen your range.

As for emperor's question

If you can't hit high notes it's because you're singing on chest voice and you don't need falsetto (the only useful thing of falsetto is that with it you can add a little more variety to your vocals but it has a backlash) with head voice you'll be able to hit more high notes but I don't guarantee that you'll be able to sing like Tate or Dikinson (it depends on what type of vocal folds you have)

hope that helps :D

Oh Timo Kotipelko that's stratovarius singer right? I enjoy his singing but I don't find his style of singing varied enough and for the cold drink tea or other types of hot drinks :D

Well, yes, I can't say I like him as a vocalist so much. I mean, just what you said, he seems to lack any expression in his singing. BTW, cold is getting better ;)

Anyway, I don't actually know Falconer's vocalist :(.... Any titles I can download? Well, as for my range, or what I *think* I can get is... hmmm... I can sing Andre Matos's songs, I think... I can get that Mercury's "Exercises In Free Love" thing... Or sth like "The Show Must Go On" and stuff like that... But my voice is not really loud, I can't shout a high note. I guess this is professionally said like "I don't have a wide chest voice, but I can go high with my head voice". If that's right, then you are good teachers :):):) Whatever............ ;)

The loudness comes with the technique. In the end you'll realise that you don't really think about singing loud, but you sing with a strong tone and it sounds like you're loud.

What I have understood so far is that it must be really wrong to try to push yourself to sound loud. I did it once or twice and my throat got really bad. A guy told me yesterday that he used to sing some years ago but he pushed himself so much, once, that he spitted blood, because something in his throat had been seriously injured (the doctor told him). Needless to say, he can't sing so much anymore. :(

A guy told me yesterday that he used to sing some years ago but he pushed himself so much, once, that he spitted blood, because something in his throat had been seriously injured (the doctor told him). Needless to say, he can't sing so much anymore.

shit that sounded bad :eek: and yep don't push yourself too much practice will get you where you want to be just don't rush it :p

Originally posted by Feanor IV
What I have understood so far is that it must be really wrong to try to push yourself to sound loud. I did it once or twice and my throat got really bad. A guy told me yesterday that he used to sing some years ago but he pushed himself so much, once, that he spitted blood, because something in his throat had been seriously injured (the doctor told him). Needless to say, he can't sing so much anymore. :(

Heh, the same thing happened to a friend of mine in the band "Leap of Faith"... He's actually the drummer of the band, but when they recorded they didn't have a vocalist, so he had to do vocals too... And ended up coughing blood after a record session. So now it seems I will take his place for the upcoming recordings. Not that I am very experienced either, but at least I've avoided the bloodspitting so far...

Otherwise, I've really enjoyed all the tips in this thread! As I said, I'm not very experienced as a vocalist, but I really want to work on my clean vocals, since I'm trying to steer my band (Fall from Grace) into a more varied genre. Our drummer is a very talented piano player (and with very talented I mean friggin' awesome!), and it would be cool to do some pianobreaks with clean vox in the midst of a heavy ass death metal song! :D

Oops, sorry for the shameless self-promotion...
Thanks again guys!

Cheers,
Nefilim

Our drummer is a very talented piano player (and with very talented I mean friggin' awesome!), and it would be cool to do some pianobreaks with clean vox in the midst of a heavy ass death metal song!

That sounds kickass :headbang:

Thanks man, it probably will be ;)
If you want to hear some shit we recorded in our rehearsal shack, check out:
http://hem.passagen.se/slaanesh/ivan/ffg.zip

and (piano stuff):
http://hem.passagen.se/slaanesh/ivan/thefallen.zip

But keep in mind that we had no bass player and only one guitarist on the top recording... plus the fact that the song was recorded by hanging a mic in the ceiling. This means it's not so good quality, but let me know what you think of my vocals, all tips and critiques are more than welcome!

EDIT: just wanted to add that half the song is improvised during the recording session, so if it's sorta untight and strange at times, you know why ;)

Damn, those links won't work, stupid web host. Click the first link, and then delete the "/ffg.zip" in the adress-field and replace it with "/thefallen.zip" and it works. Really weird. Do the same thing the other way round, and you'll get both songs.