Vocal Technique - Help please ;)

Sorry, but I can't help you with these questions since i'm not a classic rock fan. Maybe there's someone else around here that could help you.

keep singing :headbang:

Hi there Eramaajarvi! ;) Long time ;) Well, I was wandering if all these things I mentioned above are facts or only my opinion (I mean, do these things really happen in Mercury's voice? Does he switch to a different 'position', or is it only my opinion whereas in fact he only goes even higher full voice, at the same position?). Would you like me to upload an MP3 of Shaman's song at metal-realm.com for you to download? Or anybody else who'd like to help, just let me know - thanks :) Oh last thing: Eramaajarvi, if you could do what I did with shaman's song for any Angra song, instead, it'll be as much helpful. I have them all, so if you'd like to pick any and do this kind of vocal analysis, where he uses head voice, where he uses chest voice, what's the note where he switches etc - well, that'd be cool ;)

Best wishes and thanks for all - I won't forget your help! :D

You could upload that shaman song - i don't know where my angels cry cd went and i wouldn't be of mcuh help with angra songs.

And yes - i think you're right about the queen thing :)

Cool, looking forward to your reply ;) Meanwhile, another question: I still cannot understand head voice in MY voice. I feel like I'm starting a falsetto just after G (the 3rd fret on the first guitar string) or something. Things used to go smoothly there, but where's my head voice? The lowest note I can hit is A. Could it be that my combined chest/head voice is up to G, or probably this is all chest voice and:

1. I name "falsetto" what you all call "head voice"
2. I don't know how to use my head voice, and actually use falsetto from lower than I should.

Opinions...?

It's real hard to say through the internet, but how do you know you're singing in falsetto? (what do you feel?) when you use head voice you should notice that you're singing in a higher gear, the voice is usually thinner in head voice (specially in beginners)

Yeah, that's what I feel, exactly. My teacher calls this "false voice" or "fake voice", that's how it's called in Greek. But I suspect that this is not falsetto, but head voice. For example, when I told her that it's said that women do not have falsetto, she said that, this "fake voice" she refers to, both men and women have it. And it's what she used in choir when she was young - does this give any clue, by the way?

But how will I know that it's not falsetto but head voice or vice versa? BTW, I took her an Angra cd, and she told me that what Matos is doing is what I'm also doing up there, and it's what she calls "fake voice". I asked her if we'll work on it and on the switch, and she told me that I will have to work on my "real" voice (as she calls it) which currently goes up to a steady G, make it solid, powerful and precise and then move on to this aspects.

But I also found out something else: when singing a song, I can push my 'normal' voice almost up to an A#, without switching, by just pushing my voice upwards. This is NOT a different positioning in my throat, DEFINITELY. It's the same position I use for the lower notes. So, I am confused! :) Could this be 'head voice' and the other thing a falsetto? But again, my teacher says that women also have this 'fake voice'... So................. I don't know ;) Maybe someone could do an MP3 with chest voice/head voice/falsetto and upload it somewhere? Or if you know any song where all these different positions are clear, you could tell me which one it is and I'll download it. Then, hopefully, you can tell me where is what, and I believe I will understand then - and even if I don't, I'll take it to my teacher, and she will! :)

Shit, why is the word 'falsetto' used differently in every country/language and by every person??? :)

Yeah, that's what I feel, exactly. My teacher calls this "false voice" or "fake voice", that's how it's called in Greek. But I suspect that this is not falsetto, but head voice. For example, when I told her that it's said that women do not have falsetto, she said that, this "fake voice" she refers to, both men and women have it. And it's what she used in choir when she was young - does this give any clue, by the way?

Well, women can experience falsetto, but it's not common. It's much more common on men. I think that she's a little confused and mixing both terms up (it could be a language problem)

But I also found out something else: when singing a song, I can push my 'normal' voice almost up to an A#, without switching, by just pushing my voice upwards. This is NOT a different positioning in my throat, DEFINITELY. It's the same position I use for the lower notes. So, I am confused! Could this be 'head voice' and the other thing a falsetto? But again, my teacher says that women also have this 'fake voice'... So................. I don't know Maybe someone could do an MP3 with chest voice/head voice/falsetto and upload it somewhere? Or if you know any song where all these different positions are clear, you could tell me which one it is and I'll download it. Then, hopefully, you can tell me where is what, and I believe I will understand then - and even if I don't, I'll take it to my teacher, and she will!

Check out the MP3 I gave you some months ago hehe :p If you feel you aren't going into a ''higher gear'' you're probably using chest voice only, if the sound that you produce when you reach that note is thick and you have full control of it, it should be chest voice. The best idea is to take some songs to your teacher and see what she thinks.

If you want an example of falsetto, check out any of King Diamond's work (Mercyful Fate and King Diamond)

You can find plenty of head voice examples, Russell Allen of SyX or Henning Basse of Metalium are ones that come to my mind.

Cheers!

Feanor IV said:
Ultimate_Symphony, please recommend some song titles where I can clearly hear what a head voice is. If a song which has both head voice & falsetto exists, that would be the best to give me an idea ;) Thanks anyway :)

Sure, for falsetto check out Leslie's (Sevenstring) recommendation ''Candlelight Fantasia'' also check out some of his work, plenty of head voice work there. King Diamond uses a lot of falsetto but I can't pin point you where since I haven't listened to him in a long time. For head voice check out: Smoke And Mirrors, The Edge Of Forever, The Relic, Awakenings (all Symphony X songs) and check the recording that's the best example I could give you, hehe :D

Wow, people here sure know their shit!

hehe :D

NP: Aeternus - ...And So The Night Became

Hi there! I donloaded the songs and I'd like some help with them now. Could you please "analyze" Awekenings for me? I mean, choose a verse and try to figure out what's head and what's chest, then post it :) That'll be really helpful. :):):)

BTW, my teacher said that she'll try to find me a good teacher specializing in rock/metal singing. That'll explain it all, I hope! :)

The song starts in chest, the part where Russell sings ''my thoughts get lost up in the sky....'' is in head. Also the part where he sings ''I see an old man in the mirror, cold and bitter staring back at meee'' is in head. When the song ends Russell also uses head voice, hope that helps :) oh and also keep in mind that it is hard to say wich parts are in head and what parts are in chest, it all depends on the singer's range.

(also check out the chorus section of Inferno, plenty of head voice there)

Yes, I can understand that you can't make it out easily. In the end nobody wants us to be able to tell when he's switching to head voice :) Anyway. So, I think I got it clear now. I assume most of the song's heavy part is in head voice (the high notes) not just that line. Somewhat like all notes above G (or A), or around there. Agree?

BTW, this song I will take to my teacher and explain her what I mean by head voice.

So the last part of that line "lost in the skyyyyyy" is head voice? I thought it was a typical falsetto..... :)

Sorry for responding so damn late. Yeah I agree, Although if I remember well there are some harsh parts in the song, wich aren't sung in head voice (the part where he sings on and on... I think it was) let me know what your teacher says \m/