black/death vocal techniques...huh?

thank god i,m a natural then,growlings piss easy,its high pitched screams that are hard

The lead guitarist from my band told me that my black metal screams sound a lot like Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir, so thats pretty cool I guess. I think I've recently gotten my growls deeper, I can feel them vibrating down in my chest/lower throat now, so I'm happy with that.

I put a couple little vids of myself doing some growling and stuff over on the How to Properly Growl thread in the Bloodbath forums if anyone wants to check it out.

I am a growler and it sounds pretty good actually. My singing sounds alot similar to Bleeding Through. When i growl, I don't try to push so hard with my throat and run out of breath in one second. I kind of hold back and it can last for about 12 seconds! Actually it doesn't hurt my throat at all. Either it's just me, or the way that i project my vocals. As soon as i tried death metal i was going!

P.S I'm only twelve. (It's a bit crazy isn't it):OMG:

I am a growler and it sounds pretty good actually. My singing sounds alot similar to Bleeding Through. When i growl, I don't try to push so hard with my throat and run out of breath in one second. I kind of hold back and it can last for about 12 seconds! Actually it doesn't hurt my throat at all. Either it's just me, or the way that i project my vocals. As soon as i tried death metal i was going!

P.S I'm only twelve. (It's a bit crazy isn't it):OMG:

exactly.

i'm more of a dethklok or deicide growler though.

and screaming like CoB and dimmu borgir.

thats the usual, but i can sound like anything upon hearing it.

I can do black metal vocals perfectly well, but lately I've been actually writing bm songs and in one of them I want to put a really high-pitched shriek, but as soon as I raise the tone to the pitch I want, my vocals become clean, and its annoying as hell, so, can anyone tell me how to do it without losing the vocal distortion?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I can do black metal vocals perfectly well, but lately I've been actually writing bm songs and in one of them I want to put a really high-pitched shriek, but as soon as I raise the tone to the pitch I want, my vocals become clean, and its annoying as hell, so, can anyone tell me how to do it without losing the vocal distortion?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

you mean like a squeak (COF style maybe)?

just push hard and remember your mother may eventually here it and be completely horrified...best part :headbang:

No, I meant more in the range of Burzum, I can't reach as high as CoF even doing it clean. Anyways, thanks for the advice, I'll try it as soon as I have the time.

I can do a few different kinds of growls as well as a couple black metal vocalsafter teahcing myself for nearly a year, growls came easy, screams and rasps. High growls, low growls, deeper type lows, BM type all throat screaming and BM rasp. Who do I sound like in my lows and highs? Here they are.
www.myspace.com/bluewizard1988

why would you want to sound like someone???
We already heard the person you sound like if your trying to sound like them, now why would we want to listen to you since we already heard them???
I think I sound just like...the lead vocalist of THRAMA.
Go check the vids out from last night the first show Thrama has done so far, theres many more to come now. And keep in mind we have only been together like 5 days shy of 2 months, and the second vid that song we finished the day of the show.

This song is called
To The Death-
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=13069340
(little side note on this one if you watch closly you'll see when I unplugged my guitarists input jack and it ended up in the middle of the stage and he went and got it and plugged back in thats funny)

And this one is
Lie in Wake-
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=13098529

Check em out tell me what you think.
Go to www.myspace.com/thrama and add us to your friends
Also we have our tunes on Pure Volume www.purevolume.com/thrama

why would you want to sound like someone???
We already heard the person you sound like if your trying to sound like them, now why would we want to listen to you since we already heard them???
I think I sound just like...the lead vocalist of THRAMA.
Go check the vids out from last night the first show Thrama has done so far, theres many more to come now. And keep in mind we have only been together like 5 days shy of 2 months, and the second vid that song we finished the day of the show.

This song is called
To The Death-
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=13069340
(little side note on this one if you watch closly you'll see when I unplugged my guitarists input jack and it ended up in the middle of the stage and he went and got it and plugged back in thats funny)

And this one is
Lie in Wake-
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=13098529

Check em out tell me what you think.
Go to www.myspace.com/thrama and add us to your friends
Also we have our tunes on Pure Volume www.purevolume.com/thrama
I'm not trying to sound like anyone, I'm just trying to growl and I'm wondering who I sound similar to.
And I'm sorry I can't answer your message on msn flesh, it won't let me reply correctly to you, I can't get on Yahoo for some reason, sorry.

And I'm sorry I can't answer your message on msn flesh, it won't let me reply correctly to you, I can't get on Yahoo for some reason, sorry
Thats fine dude lol, the internet is always gaying up for somebody.

^The growls were very good, you do sound like Shagrath, Mikael's screams are more like George Fisher's, but you really do resemble him. Great job! :)

Hi peeps,

just wanted to say thank you to all those people offering advice on here. I joined a band about 7 weeks ago, and I came here looking for some advice on growling/screaming because previously I'd only ever sung clean, and the advice I've found here has really helped me!

Following some of the tips on here has let me really find my scream so to speak!

I was so nervous about trying out for the band because of my lack of experience with these kind of vocals, but after practicing some of the techniques found here, I managed to find a voice I never knew I had!

If anyone's interested to hear how the advice from here has aided my vocals, check out my band Wretched Soul at www.wretchedsoul.co.uk or www.myspace.com.wretchedsouluk

Once again thanks to all the people on here. :)

Unholy