black/death vocal techniques...huh?

Well, a lot of good stuff here, I'll just add, before you do any serious vocals, you need to warm up...

A good hot shower, lots of moisture, go through your scales, do re mi, etc, ascending descending, start singing stuff you know the words too...

Start off nice and relaxed and soft, and then work the brutality/growl in....

Never bring your growl close to normal speaking volume until you know what you're doing, and don't use your vocal cords...

If you're feeling pain or hurting your throat, STOP, cause you're doing more harm than good.

A good growl isn't usually EVER louder than one would normally speak, and try to get the growl from your gut.

A lot of good advice from JesterRace and Soultorn...

Listen to them and keep at it!

Originally posted by Froz
Thanx man I think I might need some more practice

Just How often do you practice ?

Hm... I've never been asked that before.....
Well... I don't actually sit down and make an effor t to "Practice". I'll listen to some heavy shit and scream/sing along on my free time.
It's not a matter of "Trying". Just happens. Just connect with all that inner rage and hatred, then do your thing. If you can actually FEEL that energy in you, you'll be suprised at what you can do, without damage to yourself.

Originally posted by Magicawe
ROTFLMAO INWARD SINGING.

rock singers are only rocking you half the time, but not with my new invention, Inward Singing.

yeah, and I go like that...

all..

fuckin night.

Ooooooooh and then I start some lyrics and you can't beleive im singing and i'm never fuckin stoping and im always fucking singing, and now you know that I will never stop the singing I'm like a fucking one man band i'm like a fucking one man band!

And I can do that all, fucking, night.

People will tell you to "sing from your gut" which is true to a degree. Just remember, no matter where your energy is pushed from, your vocal chords make the sound, so keep the throat in good shape.

When we record, I do ALL my growls in one day. I do them first, then I record all my clean spoken vocals right after, because at this time, your throat is so loose, you voice really drops low, and gives you that deep soothing sound, GREAT for spoken word stuff. Then i take several days off, and return to actually "sing". Another point was made to use a buffer for your vocal chords... The last CD, I went through two 2 liters of Coke, making sure to drink after every verse to keep it well moist. And, you get a really cool "wet" sound to your voice.

Well, that how I do it, and with that growl, I try to pronounce every word as clear as I possible can. Check out the mp3s if you get a chance.

Sometimes I like to growl after inhaling loads of hot sauce...Painful but it sounds so damn good!

this is good stuff, i;m gonna stick around on this board

im starting to sing myself, and i play guitar

right now i just sing in the shower, its works pretty good, i can make my voice sound different in a lot of ways and i never hurt it yet so thats good

yeah well i'm workign on it, but it'll be awhile before im in a band, first things first i need my guitar that i ordered to get here, then im getting lessons to help move me even faster for guitar.

all the while practising singing

i figure i'll sing along while i play a song on guitar. 2 at once

Originally posted by Hyp0Critical
yeah well i'm workign on it, but it'll be awhile before im in a band, first things first i need my guitar that i ordered to get here, then im getting lessons to help move me even faster for guitar.

all the while practising singing

i figure i'll sing along while i play a song on guitar. 2 at once

Thats what I'm gonna do. But I'm thinking of taking singing lessons. I wanna be able to switch between growling and singing like Bruce Dickinson or Matt Barlow