black/death vocal techniques...huh?

I can only tell u to use ur belly...when I learned growling the teacher told us to use out belly and that the throat will be demeged the first times...before u really find how to do it...and before the voice gets used to it...and so I do...I'm still not professional but it sounds better evry day :p

Hey everyone! Jimi here, great advice from Soultorn especially! I'm a metal vocalist, clean vocals mostly. I've been singing off & on since 1989! I've only been w/ my band for about 2.5 years btw. But my question is the total polar opposite of what y'all have been talking about! I wanna know exactly how do I as a clean vocalist do Black/Death Metal vocals as good as my clean vocals? More along the Akerfeldt/Shagrath vein & maybe Chuck Sculdiner-Death, or Dave Vincent-Morbid Angel or Jeff Becerra-Possessed?:headbang: Any good advice from the lot of you would be greatly appreciated!

Hey man, good to see another Georgian on the boards! EbS are great.

As for doing the screaming as well as the singing, what you need to do is not consider screaming a completely different style of vocals, but rather just a different timbre. If you know about voiced vs voicelessness ( ie the difference between "k" and "g", "b" and "p", etc. ), what I have found is that you have to keep going, from voiceless, to voiced, to SUPER voiced, and it will cause a gravelly sound. This is what will become your screaming.

You too matt! I'm jimi btw. I don't see a lot of us georgians on here myself! And Oh Hell Yeah! EBS & Halcyon Way RULE!!! :kickass:
I'm not that knowledgeable about key notes, because I don't read music unfortunately! D'OHHH!!!:erk: But I do know about pitches. So, matt or anyone on here could explain about "Timbre" & "Voiced vs Voiceless" or "Voiceless to SUPER voiced" in layman's terms that I can understand, I'd appreciate it very much y'all.