Astrology!

nomana-nuniyan

Heyoka watching Trona
Sep 18, 2003
directly under Ben
Visit site
Do you have any astronomy/mythology stories that have a lot of meaning for you, and for others as well, possibly? That may even have sentimental value as well? or hold a nightmare quality for you?

Here's one about Cassiopia.

According to myth, Cassiopia and her husband, Cepheus, were rulers of the ancient kingdom of AEthiopia (not to be confused with modern Ethiopia); their daughter's name was Andromeda. Cassiopia was extremely boastful, a failing not much tolerated by the gods. She once claimed to be more beautiful than the Nereids, the sea nymphs. The nymphs complained of this hubris to their father, Poseidon, who sent the sea monster Cetus to ravage AEthiopia's coast. To save the country, Cepheus was instructed by an oracle to sacrifice Andromeda to the monster, but she was saved by Perseus on his way back from slaying the Gorgon Medusa. Most of the myth's characters are represented by constellations.
Another story says that for her boastfulness Cassiopia was chained to her thrown and placed in the sky to circle the North Star, at times hanging upside down in a most undignified position, as a warning to all.
In ancient Egypt these stars formed an evil group known as the Leg, under the control of the god Set, brother and killer of Osiris.

The people who followed Polaris and its surrounding stars such as Cassiopia were a breed who followed their own greed and corruption, spreading their filth across the planet, feeding off of other people's land and societies, and these stars led their way across the oceans.

i thought i finally got the difference between astronomy and astrology clear, now you've got me confused all over again. thanks.

Astronomy is when you try to find out when a comet will blow up the earth, astrology is when you say that comet is a man with a sacred bull's head and stuff like that.

what? you can't possibly think I made that up, let alone be able to write that well, do you ? except for the last paragraph, which is my humble opinion, the rest came from the National Audobon Society-Field Guide to the Night Sky.