At a major crossroads... (potentially huge post inside)

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Don't really know how to start this but I'm at a point in my life where I need to make some major decisions and figure out what path I want to take...

As some of you know, for the past few years I've been working in Fort McMurray, Alberta in the oilsands industry, making some ridiculous money for someone my age ($110k/year and I started out there when I was 20 years old.) I started working out there December 2007. The schedule was 14 days on, 7 days off. I live in Cambridge, Ontario, which is a 4 hour flight from Fort McMurray. So I would fly to work, work 10 hours a day for 14 days straight, then fly back to Ontario for 7 days off, all expenses covered by my employer. So as you can see, I was making a shit ton of money but at the expense of basically giving them those years of my life, since I was always away from home and couldn't really do anything to set myself up for my home base back in Ontario. To add to that, my actual job up there is only really relevant to that specific industry on that scale in that city. It is not a transferable skill and in no way benefits me back here as far as trying to get a similar job using that experience.

So basically what happened is I went out there when I was 20 in December, intended to work until the following August to bank a bunch of money and then come home to go back to school and get my diploma in Computer Science (which has always been a field I've really enjoyed and to this day would still love to be doing it for a living.) I applied to school and got accepted to everything I wanted. Late Spring/early Summer comes around and it's time to accept my offer/figure out what I'm going to do. I hadn't really put away any money because despite how well I thought I was managing my finances and keeping track of things, my budget turned into more of a tracking tool than a budgeting tool and I still managed to spend all the money I made without feeling like I had changed my lifestyle at all, as I've since learned seems to be the norm with everyone. I had already done one semester of Computer Science at a university in Ontario and hated it, but mostly because of how the university system is setup compared to the college system which are details I won't bother getting into. Either way, this made me really second guess my decision to go to school, especially considering that even after graduating I would be making less money than I was in Alberta. So eventually I decided the smartest thing to do was to invest my money into a house and get a mortgage while I made enough money to qualify, work in Alberta for a few more years and play it by ear while taking advantage of the opportunity to make that kind of money and try and get a head start vs every other student my age.

Fast forward to December 2009. My project is supposed to finish in June 2010 so I am pretty much guaranteed a job until then as long as I play my cards right, so I budget and plan for everything as if I'll be working out there until then. My car would be paid for in February (18 months to pay for a brand new 2009 Toyota Matrix, not bad!) and my little bit of credit card debt I'd racked up with a few toys and some traveling was going to be all taken care of by the middle of the month. I am home for a week off, taking it easy getting ready for Christmas and then fly back on December 7th. I get to work, work a couple hours then get pulled into the HR office where they try to fire me for something I didn't do with no proof. I call them out on it asking for proof, they have none, disappear for 20 minutes and come back and lay me off instead of firing me. Basically, my boss had it out for me and didn't like me because he knew I was only there for the money and had zero passion or care for my actual job. Everything was a total shit show up there and no matter how much effort I put in, none of the problems could be fixed. So eventually I took the Office Space route and just went to work, did whatever I was asked to do and no more, just taking care of my responsibilities and doing enough that no one could really give me a hard time about it because I wasn't doing anything wrong. Understandably, this isn't the type of employee anyone wants to have, it's certainly not the type of employee I would want working for me, but what can I say, I didn't give a shit and I couldn't bring myself to give a shit, it just meant nothing to me and I had no passion for what I was doing.

Regardless, this layoff came and fucked me in the ass big time when I really wasn't expecting it, as I had been doing everything necessary and they had no reason to FIRE me, but I didn't take into account that really they could lay me off any time, especially since we were 6 months away from project completion and a lot of departments were starting to wind down. I had a $240k mortgage with $1300 monthly payments, an $800 monthly car payment, $800 in utilities/cable/internet/phone bills monthly plus my car and home insurance which works out to a little over $3k/month total in bills. Needless to say, unemployment wouldn't cover this and the $700/month I get in rent from my roommates doesn't contribute much either. I juggled a few things around, consolidated some bills and got things to the point where it is manageable, but I have enough money to pay my bills and buy myself groceries at the wholesale store, but that's it. Honestly, that is enough for me and I am very thankful that I can do that for about 6 months max where I have some time to come up with a game plan, hence this thread.

First and foremost, I realize this a forum of mostly kids my age who don't know anything about life just like me so don't worry, I am not putting all my trust into an audio engineering board to set me up for life :lol: but I do have a lot of respect for a lot of guys here and I wanted to get all of this out of my head hoping that some people here would be able to help out and give me any advice or opinions on my situation that they might actually have. So here are basically all of my options...

1) Take advantage of EI as long as possible while putting all of my energy into the studio, praying for a miracle and hoping that somehow in 6 months I can spread the word enough to be making enough to cover my expenses. This is the proverbial dream of course, and I would love nothing more than to do this but of course it is by far the most dangerous option. I am fortunate enough to live with a member of a successful touring band who I'm sure can help put me into contact with younger bands who need recordings and if I'm lucky that will give me a bit of a foot in the door to try and spread the word. Unfortunately, since I've been in Alberta for 2 years I have not really had the opportunity to put as much time into honing my skills as an engineer as most people would. Being home for a week at a time means having enough time to run all the errands I can't take care of while I'm gone and look after the house, not really a hell of a lot of time to do any serious recording as much as I did try. I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go so this option scares the piss out of me.

2) Start an apprenticeship as a tradesman. This was one of my plans for after finishing in Alberta to begin with. I was going to start an electrical apprenticeship so that I could make some money as an apprentice while learning a valuable skill that will make me employable anywhere in the world. The problem is it's a 5 year apprenticeship and I am not sure that I am going to enjoy it at all. If I can't stick it out for the full 5 years I am wasting my time, and I don't want to end up doing something for a living I don't really like anyways, so as much as this is probably the smartest thing to do financially, you only live once and I don't want to waste it living "safe" and regretting it all when I'm 65 realizing I never pursued any of my dreams.

3) Go back to Fort McMurray. I have a contact who can probably get me out there on another project starting in February/March. It would be a little bit less money but still a lot, but on a worse schedule (20 on, 8 off). This is the safest option because I can go, make all the money I expected to make on the last job and then either come home and try and do something from a more stable financial standpoint or stay out there and make more money. The problem is I've been doing it for two years and I fucking HATE that lifestyle. I have a home, friends, family and a girlfriend that I miss way too much being out there and it's hardly worth it. I feel like being laid off was life forcing me to be a man and take advantage of the opportunity to make something of myself back home with the people I love instead of being trapped out in Alberta by the golden handcuffs, and I'm afraid if I go back I'm not going to have the balls to come home and I'll end up like all the miserable old fucks out there who threw away their whole lives for a paycheck. I hate the sounds of this option but I might have no choice if I have bills to pay and my job experience only qualifies me out there :erk:

4) Figure out a way to go to college for Computer Science, do it for two years and get a decent job doing something I actually at least enjoy. I would love to go back to school and do this but figuring out how to actually do it is tricky. Like I said, $3k in bills every month, a student can't exactly afford that. I could rent out my whole house to a family, hoping that it will cover the mortgage and let them pay the utilities so that my house is no longer an expense, move back in with my folks and take out a bunch of student loans, but that is very complicated to arrange and would require a lot of luck on my part. Plus I do not want to end up in even more debt over something like that, and as much as I would love to be a computer programmer, more and more I hate the idea of working for "the man" and relying on a paycheck. Every successful, happy person I've talked to and every book I've read on the subject has made it very clear that being self-employed and running your own business is the best way to be successful, where you are making money for yourself, and not working for someone else and helping them make money so that you can receive a check every other Friday.

5) Figure out a way to make my own money without relying solely on the studio venture. This would be great but it's a bit vague and obviously challenging, otherwise it's what everyone would be doing. But in the last year or so, I have become very seriously passionate about strength training, fitness and nutrition after always being out of shape and overweight my whole life. I am willing to bet I spend twice as much time researching fitness as I do even thinking about audio engineering. I would love to get into the fitness industry somehow, so maybe that's something worth considering. I have a friend who shares the same passion who has talked about opening a gym, sort of a barbaric, raw, powerlifting style gym without fancy machines and equipment, where the focus is on stuff like tire flipping, pushing prowler sleds, sledgehammer training, etc. This type of stuff is definitely starting to develop a bigger fanbase in the mainstream fitness world with all of the MMA hype in the last few years and there is nothing at all like that in our area so it's an untapped market and might be worth looking into. That would definitely be another dream of mine, but I don't think funding it and developing is very realistic for me right now, although I would love to be proven wrong.

I think that exhausts any options worth considering. The only ones that will make me happy are options 1 and 5, but they are just too risky for me to justify doing.

Anyways, that's basically my story guys, any input/advice/suggestions are appreciated. I'm in a rough spot right now but like I said, I am concentrating on seeing it as an opportunity, no "woe is me my life is over" bullshit going on here. I just need to figure out which direction to take it in, what goals to set and how to achieve them. I have always been a really bright dude but the educational path is just not something I am passionate about... I want to build my own life and not rely on making someone else happy to pay my bills, I just need to figure out how to do it.

Adam, you seem like a very smart guy, and definitely wise beyond your years. You say this:

First and foremost, I realize this a forum of mostly kids my age who don't know anything about life just like me so don't worry, I am not putting all my trust into an audio engineering board to set me up for life

But, then you say this:

Fort McMurray...... I fucking HATE that lifestyle. I have a home, friends, family and a girlfriend that I miss way too much being out there and it's hardly worth it.

Don't discourage or discredit yourself man. I think you know plenty about life, trust me. And, it's pretty ironic that you shoud post this thread, considering where my own head was at tonight.

Honestly man, you only have so much time on this earth. The decisions you make should, whenever possible, be based around the quality of your life.

I am 31, married with 3 great kids, a house, etc. I would go back in an INSTANT to change my path in life - I would never give up my wife or kids, but I would have made some seriously different choices professionally. Now, it sounds like you've got an oppotunity to do just that. Take some time with this decision because; while I don't know you and can't say what would be best for you; this sounds like a really great situation.

Think about what you wrote before - you hate your prior lifestyle, so don't return to it. As long as you have money to keep the heat on and the bills paid, thats all you need until you can figure out what you want to do going forward.

I really wish you the best of luck man.

Do what you love. That's all I can tell you.

I wouldn't go with option 5, because you don't have a honed experience in that region. You have talents, many of them, so use em.

Good luck my friend.

I really don't have very much to add..

One thing though.. are your parents able to help you out with your bills, until you can get a new job and get an idea of where you're headed? While the next 6 months will affect you a lot financially, if you rush into something just to pay those bills that will affect potentially the rest of your life.

And regarding the self-employment thing.. realise that you'll probably work a TON more hours than you would in a regular job. And yes, for some people (myself included) this barely feels like work, so one is happy to do it, but keep in mind that it does mean a lot less time with friends/family/girlfriend than you would have otherwise. Then again, some corporate/"working for the man" jobs are nearly/just as time-consuming.

I am 31, married with 3 great kids, a house, etc. I would go back in an INSTANT to change my path in life - I would never give up my wife or kids, but I would have made some seriously different choices professionally.

Do you mind elaborating?

Normally, I'd advise you to go down the education route, while continuing to establish your career as an AE in your spare time, so you'd be able to choose between these careers at one point (best case scenario, obviously).

But since you're in so much "debt", I'd personally probably head for an apprenticeship to have atleast somewhat of an save income. While continuing to work as an AE in your spare time.

You could also combine studying and an apprenticeship but I can't see how you would be able to work as an AE (on a serious level) on top of that. And I don't think you'd want to give up recording.

I think, getting your finances sorted should be priority now. You could always go back to studying, even after a full apprenticeship, you'd still be young enough to start over. But heading into even more debt would be the worst idea IMHO.

I would ensure you can pay your bills above all else. Get the job in Fort Mac back get the car paid off and save up a bit of a cash pad, then chase the dreams. This won't take too long at 6 figures. I have it on good account that the sands will be ramping up back to normal really soon (provided oil keeps climbing). There is no point living cheque to cheque if you don't have to and you DO NOT under any circumstances want to fuck up your credit rating - this will haunt you for 6 years.

Anyhow, it may be the accountant in me that is slightly risk averse, but nonetheless, it's a good idea to keep yourself solvent especially if you are looking to make a run of a studio. You will likely need capital to keep the doors open if there aren't clients lined up kicking the door in.

Also, I'm not sure of your trade, but I know they are drilling for Natural Gas in the St. Lawernce which is a little closer, there may be some opportunities closer to home with the projects there. Might be something to keep in mind.

Anyhow, just my $0.02. Just keep positive and things will work out!:headbang:

Hey Adam,

I've read it all word for word dude, and came to the conclusion pretty quick of what i'd do in your situation I think, although there may be further implications we dont know about. I'm about the same age as you (23 borderlining 24), and have had a few similar experiences. I've had friends who have been able to take quick routes to large and often very unreliable incomes long term (.e.g one of my mates is a contractor on an oil rig- straight out of school to earn a killing) and gets paid around the same as you. I took the uni route in computer science, and am in a stable job which facilitates all my life needs and hobbies but nothing too extravagant (around forty grand pa dollar wise)- often think I could have done things differently and it's still a pipe dream of mine to open up a studio as a full time business. I should also note, dont be fooled into thinking you'll love a career in computing as it might end up being as bad as Alberta :lol:. Just kidding, but sketching around the school of thought that too much of anything can piss you off eventually, and there are very few accessable holy grails out there in terms of jobs that wont do that to you.

I have never seen music as a realistic possibility in my area, but admittedly, I am of a risk adverse profile and I like to earn enough to live a life knowing where my next beer is going to come from. I also need a pension, which is something a lot of self employed engineers overlook especially around these parts which is likely to cause misery in years to come.

It is quite evident that you don't want to spend your life in Alberta, and I don't blame you either. However, this is an opportunity not a lot of people have, and you need to utilise it and milk it FWIW IMO. I would stomach another year or 2 in Alberta if you can, solely in order to churn up enough cash to sort your finances and have enough to propel you into your next venture in life which sounds like it could be university. This is the most logical way forward I can see.

So to summarise, i'd chalk off 1) straight away until later, not pursue 2) unless you are going to enjoy it long term, use 3) to propel you into 4), not pursue 5) especially in a recession climate (unlesss you know something I dont, or have some kicking ideas), and after you have succeeded in 3) & 4) you will have finances available to invest back into 1) and lead a long and happy life until you die :D

All IMO ofc ;) Best of luck!!!!

Two years in CS won't get you very far. Corporate IT positions aren't as easy to come by and do well as they were 20 years ago, especially if you're in a country that has labor regulations beyond 'employees are not for use as projectiles, packing material, or padding' and are coming in without experience; needless to say, you won't get too far in the academic side either. Keep in mind that the people who are giving you feedback on 'working for yourself' are probably not the ones going broke, living off savings while the jobs don't roll in, and going back to an old employer with their tails between their legs, too... a couple of your options need a little more polish.

Your third option is very close to something that people have been trying to tempt me with for quite some time - different kind of work, but a similar idea: actuarial or quant work would net six figures a year and (assuming, of course, that I don't make every other rich young bastard's mistake and blow through all of the money too quickly) leave me in a position to retire before 35... but it would make me want to die and I wouldn't have time for anything I actually enjoy. I definitely see where your comments on that option are coming from. However, I have the luxury of turning it down without facing serious financial issues, and to be blunt it doesn't look like you do. Don't let this be a five-way battle... ask yourself if you have any options other than 3 that'll keep you going (and won't ruin you financially) - if you do, go for it, and if you don't then the issue is solved.

Jeff

Appreciate all the suggestions and advice guys, I've still really got to think about what I need to do in this situation to make ends meet but still make the best use of my life from a personal standpoint but I will keep you guys in the loop.

You do have a huge amount of assets, right dude? Why not sell a few of the extraneous ones off to keep you afloat for a bit while you figure things out?

Well to get into specifics, I need about $3000/month to pay my bills and stay alive. I currently get $680/month from renters in my house, should have another roommate for Feb 1st paying $350 (total of $1030 so far). Which leaves me trying to come up with $2k per month on my own. Employment Insurance will give me $770 every two weeks which works out to $1650/month when averaged over a year so I need to make $400 a month. I've got a little over $2k sitting in my bank account, so I can literally do absolutely nothing for 5 months and still pay all my bills and afford to eat.

In that time I'm going to try and get to a point where I can make $400-600 a month doing the studio thing (which is only really 2 small projects a month, pretty reasonable) and I should be able to find a job paying $14-15/hr without too much trouble especially when I have 5 months to do it, so if I'm content with that lifestyle then I really don't have any issues. It's just figuring out where to get that $15/hr from that is the real decision. We'll see what happens, I am not stressed or worried, an opportunity will come along, always does.

Honestly, struggling a little bit and not being able to live like a rockstar like I could while I worked in Alberta is easily worth the trade off of being able to sleep in my own bed every night and live a normal lifestyle. I had NO life in Alberta. 15 hour work days when you include travel time, no car, no real friends, no space or time to do any music stuff to keep me busy. I was basically throwing away 2 weeks of my life every single shift. 2 weeks where I could accomplish absolutely nothing that meant anything to me on a personal level or enjoy any minute of that time, and those are 2 weeks I will never get back. I did it for two years, I'm not doing it again because it's way too easy to get addicted to the cash, and it's way too easy to spend all of it without feeling like you are doing anything remotely excessive with your spending.

No thanks, I'm going to stay home and make things work here where I can come home to my own house every night with 5-6 hours of free time that I can actually use to it's fullest and work towards accomplishing things I'm actually passionate about. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week is already too much time to sacrifice out of the amount of time you have in this life, there's no way I'm going back to pissing away 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 weeks straight again. I lost all of my early twenties, completely. Just disappeared, bam, gone. No thanks, I work to live, and only until I can figure out a way to live without working, I definitely don't live to work.

I know it makes logical, financial sense to go back and try and set myself up but in reality it won't happen that way even if I did, and if any of you guys could do it for 2 years like I have you would realize how much you are sacrificing for a paycheck, it's really not worth it.

Option 2 is more and more starting to seem like the right move. If I have to do something 9-5 during the week that I don't really enjoy, I might as well do it in the city I live in and be learning a trade in the meantime which guarantees me a more stable career than any diploma/degree will anyways. I'm going to be working for the next 5 years anyways so thinking "5 years is a long time to do an apprenticeship" is kind of stupid in retrospect. At least every year I'll get a raise and at the end of it I'll be making $60-80k a year with the option to be self employed as an electrician for example. It's also a skill that is valuable everywhere in the world, and I've always wanted to travel and work in different places.

This was originally going to just be a quick reply to Marcus' post but it somehow sparked a really inspiring train of thought that seems to have found me a lot of peace of mind :lol: so cheers Marcus, your post may have just inadvertently solved all of my life's problems!

I wouldn't disagree with 2 seeming like a decent idea, but if you think it'll get you a more stable career than any degree then you're looking at the wrong degrees, period.

Jeff

I wouldn't disagree with 2 seeming like a decent idea, but if you think it'll get you a more stable career than any degree then you're looking at the wrong degrees, period.

Jeff

Well right now there's no way I could justify the cost of a minimum 4 year university education to get any sort of degree, and the whole university education system in Canada does not appeal to me whatsoever so it's out of the question anyways.

I'll agree with you though Jeff I was exaggerating a bit, there are a lot of fields that require a lot of education that are always going to provide very good, stable, high paying jobs. Just none that you can get to with a 4 year undergrad degree and anything more than that is really only in the grasp of people who are really passionate about the education process and the research they will be doing itself, not people who are just going through all the schooling to get the job in the end.