I'm at a crossroads in my life... Computing or Music...

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
After studying Music Technology for 2 years in college, coming out with a DMM grading (The equivalent of 3 A levels at A/B grades) I'm not sure what to do in perusing my career.

After completing my 2 years in college, I went back this year to do one more year. I chose to do a Media Production course and I got put straight onto the second year of the course because of my previous grades. After about 6 months I dropped out of the Media course as it wasn't what I expected, I didn't enjoy it and I didnt get on with any of my peers very well.

During the time on my Media course I applied to do a Computer Networking course at my local university, as I live locally (and in Wales), course prices are cheap as shit and I get loads of grants for going and stuff. However, the university asked for a minimum of 200 UCAS points to get onto the networking course. UCAS points are the points I receive based on my grades etc

As I already had 280 UCAS points from my Music Technology I decided to call the University and explain. However, they wanted 200 points from the Media course...
I told them that I had already had the points from music tech, but they said that it wasn't relevant enough... I studied so many fucking units on working with computers. Building them, installing software, components, etc. I already had an A* grade from the ICT course I did in high school. I explained this but they still wanted the 200 points from Media. I couldnt fucking getting this as I had already dropped out so now I'm STUCK.

My options are:

Study Music Technology in university and get my degree.
Go my own way for a company and work my way up.
OR
Do an online course in Computer Networking and find a career path from that.

I'm worried that if I come out of university with my music tech degree, I'm not going to find a well paid job (or any job at all) in that field. The music industry seems to be on its ass right now.

Do any of you have any experience/know of anybody that does from doing online ICT course and going on to find a job?
A job in IT seems to be quite stable and well paid and every industry needs some computer based loving these days.

Help me out guys! I'd love to hear your opinions :)

Get your degree from a university and start at a lower level in a company and work your way up. Anyone can get degrees online nowadays, and computer networking is especially commonplace and even moreso being outsourced to india and cheaper employees. You'll find that just because your degree from a university is in music, a lot of companies just require a 4 year degree, and not necessarily in a specific field. They like seeing that you were willing to bust your ass getting a degree and going through the rigmarole of getting one. I think you'll be much happier doing something you like than settling on an online course for networking. lol.

Probably worth bearing in mind that a degree doesn't automatically guarantee you'll get a job, whatever the degree is. In terms of the music tech side of thing.... a decent showreel/portfolio is just as important.

A couple of ICT courses will get you nowhere. Computer networking is closer to plumbing than any computing. If you don't want to spend your youth on all fours with a cable tester and cable crimpers in hand steer clear. It's like the roadie part of live sound engineering, except you never get to mix the gig.

you'd be better of doing a Cisco certification if your heading toward working in IT. They're pretty tough, but worth way more than any ICT qualification.

I'd agree that its a far more stable carrier than anything music based.

I'm in the same boat as you really, I'm finishing my A-Levels and I'm looking at uni. But having spoken to people who have degree's, I get the impression that they don't mean fuck all unless you already have solid industry links when you finish, or at least know somebody who will give you a chance.

An example is, I work as a Lifeguard (part time), and the team I work on 4 of the 12 Lifeguards have degree's. Which are in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Sports Science and Aero Engineering, pretty intensive and well respected courses. Now they work as Lifeguards full-time on £8 an hour several years after getting their degree, hardly what you'd expect after getting those type of degree's. Also, my dad is told me that the company he works for (EDF Energy) most of the new employee's have no background in Electrical Engineering or planning at all and already have degree's in things completely unrelated. These people are doing foundation courses paid for by the company, so that they can slot right into the job they have applied for.

Just something to think about I guess.