At what point in the mix do you start adding samples?

'sall about instinct maaan, i'm plannin it all out while the kids trackin drums. i have no idea what my approach to the drum mix is gonna be til the kids in the live room with everything all set up bangin on the damn things. if i'm in the control room and he's hitting like a sissy and the floor tom is rattling, i'm basically at that point deciding to just program everything.

if i'm sitting there and the kid is a monster and everything is sick but the kick just isn't quite getting the beater attack i want, i think to myself i'll probably dupe the edited kick track and gog the second one with sneapkick, hi-pass it and blend it in to taste cause sneapkick has that epic snap to it.

case in point - to me it's a cross-that-bridge-when-ya-come-to-it type deal. if somethings missing, we know exactly what it needs.

Depends on the project...
But I like to have a cool drumsound allready when I dial in the bass and guitarsounds. especially with reamping I need to have a backingtrack that is at least raw eq to get a picture of how the rest should sound.
I'll do the fine tuning anyway after the guitar and bass sound is fixed....so raw EQing, choosing some samples that I think could fit in the context, getting other sounds done, rework/finetune drums.
But I change snare samples quite often until I'm happy with it, cause I always try new stuff not to fall back on the same samples every time...50% I'll get back to my favorite ones, but the other times it works out
I'll have some new go-to-combinations :)

i do that at the end. after everything is recorded. and i have a bigger sense of what the song needs.

with kicks i usually replace them 100% so that's not a problem, i just find something i like, but with snare, i try to get a close sounding sample from the eq/comp'd original snare. unless the band doesn't care and they want snare 12a :lol:

I always try and get what i can out of the natural drum sound first and then use samples to compliment that. It all depends on the quality of the tracking, the drummer and the kit. E.g. a shit drummer playing a shit kit with a d112 in the kick, i'm gonna be going for 100% sample kick straight away because I know there's no way i'm gonna be able to save it.