At which point should Anathema start paying Radiohead some royalties?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I'm listening to A Natural Disaster tonight for the first time. Just got to the second track, "Balance", and seriously, could this be any more plagiaristic? ANATHEMA are talented enough to leverage their own style, and Vincent Cavanagh is a decent enough vocalist where he shouldn't need to try and go out of his way to copy Thom Yorke...I had to flick through the liner notes to see if Thom Yorke actually made a guest appearance.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful album thus far, but the rip-off is just laughable. This isn't RADIOHEAD worship, it's carbon copying.

Another band I came across recently was EYES OF FIRE on Century Media. These are the same guys behind the now defunct MINDROT. Anyway, again, some of that stuff is so RADIOHEAD, it's not funny. Again, the vocalist, Dan Kaufman, is actually trying to sound like Thom Yorke.

That is all.

I've never heard Radiohead, other than the nauseating Pablo Honey. The Eyes of Fire EP sounds nothing like that crap.

Then again, Eyes of Fire isn't as good as Mindrot either. Either way, Mindrot is better than any of the bands mentioned in this thread.

JayKeeley has gayness flowing from him these days. Anathema might sound similar to Radiohead, but I don't think they're that similar. Radiohead is WAY more abstract with song structure and vocal style.

Maybe 2.6 billion bands should pay Slayer royalties.

i was just forced to listen to "A Natural Disaster" again while in my friend's car the other day... I love "Judgement" and a couple other Anathema albums... but the new one is just painful to listen to... "feels like I'm flying"... how cliche does it get?

npearce said:
Anathema might sound similar to Radiohead, but I don't think they're that similar. Radiohead is WAY more abstract with song structure and vocal style.
I think I was referring more so to the vocals. Vincent is TRYING to sound like Thom Yorke on A Natural Disaster. You don't hear that? It is identical.

And obviously I'm not talking about Kid A era Radiohead. Give me a break.

I happen to think Radiohead is brilliant, but I still don't think Anathema is that similar. Maybe its because I've been listening to Anathema for about as long as I've been listening to Radiohead.

From the AMG review of that new Anathema:
This is the kind of genre-toppling ambition that Radiohead has been seeking to fulfill for a couple of years (how odd that something they inspired is the very thing they cannot seem to grasp)...
This intrigues me at least, but blatant ripoffs are generally annoying.

Besides, Radiohead is brilliant. It's damn near fact! :Spin:

I've been listening to Radiohead for a while - since the late 80's. Saw them play at my university. I'm not saying that Anathema's Natural Disaster sounds anything like OK Computer or The Bends, but there is a hint of similarity since those two albums have been SO influential - and rightfully so. However, my point about paying royalties to Thom Yorke is based on the vocals. Everyone go listen to "Balance" by Anathema - find it for download or listen to the samples on CDuniverse or something. It is remarkable in how similar it sounds - honestly, I thought it was Thom Yorke.

Then, for shits and giggles, go listen to "The End Result of Falling" by Eyes of Fire. Even the breathing between lines in the song is pure Yorke emulation.

JayKeeley said:
eh? What planet do you forge this logic from?
Have you even heard an entire Mindrot album? I guess my logic comes from the same planet as the logic that assumes Radiohead is good.

Dreamlord said:
Have you even heard an entire Mindrot album? I guess my logic comes from the same planet as the logic that assumes Radiohead is good.
Well, I never said that Radiohead were better than Mindrot. :confused: You know why? Because I've never heard any Mindrot.

dreamlord said:
...Mindrot is better than any of the bands mentioned in this thread.
JayKeeley said:
eh? What planet do you forge this logic from?
From that quote, it sounds like you've heard Mindrot.

Anyway, I have heard ANathema, Radiohead, Pink FLoyd, and Eyes of Fire. Mindrot, quite effortlessly, obliterates them.

Guh? No, I was just pointing out that you said you'd never heard Radiohead past Pablo Honey, and yet you thought Mindrot was better.

How can you make that statement without having heard everything a band has ever done? How is A Natural Disaster similar to Serenades? How is Kid A similar to The Bends?

More importantly, with all this obvious ESP you possess, why haven't you won the lottery yet? :loco:

JayKeeley said:
Guh? No, I was just pointing out that you said you'd never heard Radiohead past Pablo Honey, and yet you thought Mindrot was better.
Well, based on that album, Mindrot is better. Pablo Honey sucked, no two ways about it.

How can you make that statement without having heard everything a band has ever done?
I can say that about a lot of bands. Bolt THrower. Amon AMarth.etc.

How is A Natural Disaster similar to Serenades? How is Kid A similar to The Bends?
They are performed by the same band.

More importantly, with all this obvious ESP you possess, why haven't you won the lottery yet? :loco:
Simple. I like working for my money. It gets me out of the house.

Dude. Radiohead does NOT sound like Pablo Honey anymore dammit! :tickled:

That's like saying Piper At the Gates of Dawn bears resemblence to Dark Side of the Moon.

Good fucking point NAD!!

But seriously, JayKeeley, how can you say Vincent is "trying" to sound like Thom Yorke? Personally, I think Anathema is leagues beyond Radiohead... Infinitely better songwriters.

And to Dreamlord, you are smoking some serious crack if you think Mindrot "obliterates" Pink Floyd. While their two releases are very good, and yes, I know, because I own both of them, the vocalist can get annoying every once in a while...

That being said, Mindrot is damn good!

Have yet to hear Eyes Of Fire...