ATHEIST COMPLETES LINEUP FOR CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007

"Opeth JR."? LOL

So, let's keep count here.....the bands we have recently been compared to or claimed to be copying or whatever are....

My Dying Bride
Anathema
Paradise Lost
Opeth
Katatonia
Winter
Amon Amarth
Edge of Sanity

Those are the ones off the top of my head that I've seen mentioned the most. That's a rather diverse list of bands there in fact, if people are at all familiar with these bands music. I've also seen people mention that they hear Nevermore and Arch Enemy riffing. Which I don't mind really. lol Those bands have some hellacious riffing.

There are so many things we do that Opeth doesn't, and things we don't do that Opeth does, that I can't really see how we could be even jokingly considered their "Jr." Like I said many times before, Mikael himself told me he doesn't hear very much similarity between the bands. I guess his opinion doesn't count very much to some people eh? haha Hell I'm not afraid to admit that they're much better musicians than I am. So I guess being compared to them at all is a compliment really, even if the people who say it aren't necessarily intending on being complimentary ;)

Over on the Katatonia board, someone said we're JUST LIKE Swallow the Sun, only StS was better... I said how can we possible be compared to StS when we sound nothng alike, and I got some smart ass response like "too bad the band can't see how close they sound alike" or some shit.

The bullshit never ends with us. We must rip them off too, even though we came on the scene over a decade before them.

I'm not dissing StS either. I dig the band. Their first CD was great, and they haven't topped that yet in my opinion. But, my opinion of thr band doesn't change the fact that I still can't see how we can be compared to bands we don't sound like.

I just got an interview to do this week, and one question starts with "I haven't heard Novembers Doom since THE KNOWING. How does the new CD progess?"

Ugh...

Happens all the time. I get interviews where people say they've never heard the last two cds, or even that the last time they heard us was on "Amid..." (I kid you not!) and then they want to talk about how we've changed or how we feel about the doom scene, or where we've been since 1999, did we break up etc.....I just feel like, man you really ought to do a bit more research on a band before you're going to write an article or review and pass judgement on them like that. We were on the cover of magazines like Metal Maniacs twice during that time, we've played numerous metalfests and even a couple of small tours since then, how is it possible that they could be so oblivious to not even at least realise we were still around? Go to our website, go to our myspace page, go fucking steal the damn cds if you have to hahaha, it's not that hard to find out what we've been up to.

As for the comparisons to these other bands, I'm going to just say it straight up......those people have no fucking clue, they have no ear. And it's more common than not that this is the case. They're the same people who think Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple "sound the same", and Kreator and Slayer sound the same, and Cannibal Corpse and Death sound the same, etc. I mean how does one compare bands like Solitude Aeturnus and Novembers Doom??? Because we're both "doom", to their mind. It's just a bunch of uneducated narrow minded opinions, and in truth, it really shouldn't bother us because it's so fucking ridiculous, if it just weren't so goddamn prevalent all the time *sigh*

Well, I think for some people not familiar with a genre, they would automatically refer ND to a heavier band with both growls and clean vocals (IE - Opeth, MDB, etc).

It's kind of like when bands like Nevermore and Iced Earth came around, they were constantly compared to Iron Maiden and Metallica, yet to those more aware of the underground scene, they don't have much in common with those bands.

Well, for better or for worse, at least you are being compared to good bands, right!