ATIB new album

esternel

Aug 13, 2002
Puerto Rico
Visit site
Alright, here's a good thread. What would you guys want ATIB to do in their upcoming studio album? What would you add/change to their music, if anything, in order to improve on what they did on their first album? Do you think they have already carved their own sound or do they still need to define what their sound is?

Alright, nobody bit on this one, so I'll try to jumpstart the thread. I first need to say that I love ATIB's debut album, but that doesn't mean I would say it was perfect.

First of all, the one thing that I think needs to be improved the most on the next album is the production. Dying to Remember doesn't sound bad at all, but it could sound a lot better.

Second, I think ATIB started out with a sound that's not very common in the prog world, mixing a Fates Warningish sound with jazzy elements. This is very good because they didn't sound cliche from the getgo. I wouldn't say they have already carved their own sound, but I think they took a good first step in that process. On the next album, they should definitely keep (and perhaps even expand) the jazz influences, while keeping that dark atmosphere in their songs.

Third, I think the individual performances on the album were great, but I would recommend the following to each individual player:
Leo (vocals) - I think that the vocals could be looser next time around, and I would prefer if there was less "engolating" (I really don't know how to translate the verb "engolar") in the vocal performance. Also, I think the harmonies could be more diverse on the next album.
Jorge (bass) - I think the bass playing was one of the most solid things about the album. I think Jorge should consider playing a full fledged solo this next time around :) And keep up those taps!!!
Carlos (drums) - The drumming on the album was very solid, but it could still be taken up a notch. I think Carlos should show off a bit more in the next album (without becoming excessive, of course).
Ruben (guitar) - Well, all I can say about the guitar is that I hope he maintains the technical and jazzy foundations laid down by Oscar, while incorporating his own personal influences to the music. I'm pretty sure he won't try to be an Oscar clone, but I would love if he manages to sound his own while maintaining the ATIB sound. I don't think a 180 degree turn would be that good.

Please don't think I'm not happy with DTR. As I said before, I really like it a lot and all of the individual performances were very good. These comments are just my opinion on how to continue making progress and outdoing what the band has already done.

The next ATIB album needs to have more power, DTR was to prog for my musical taste. Sorry Leo but DTR sounded (Too Progressive), you guys need to have a balance between the Progressive and the Power stuff.