About Opeth

the_dying

Jan 4, 2003
La Flandre
gorath.blackmetal.be
I read some posts concerning Opeth and their forum... Well, what do you think about them?

I like them since their debut and "Still life" is my fav album. Yet they don't convince me anymore... Their formale has become redictable in some way. The good thing is Akkerfeldt's vocals and the overall sound improve each time.

Morningrise is the best imo, My Arms, your hearse is quite good as well but there's something really melencholy and beautiful that Morningrise that the other albums are missing. Still life is a great CD, very much the most 'prog rock' album from the guys. blackwater park and Deliverance didn't do much for me, it's just the same boring choppy riffing throughout the albums. Mikael's vocals don't do much for me anymore and the polished sound takes all the mystery away.

Damnation was great in it's own right, but I really don't view it as an opeth album

They used to be quite the kick-ass band! But yea, they've lost a lot of magic. They were the first band with growled vocals that I liked, really, but now I can't stand much from BWP and on.

deliverance said:
handful of these responses regarding opeth are regular posters on the opeth forum!
:-D haha

Of course we are, man! Opeth and Katatonia share a lot of fans, what with Mikael having done vox on a Katatonia album and EP!

For my money, Katatonia's a LOOOOOOOOOT better!

I still have lots of respect for Opeth (saw them three times on the Deliverance/Damnation tours), but I haven't been listening to them as heavily lately and while I don't think they're bad albums aside from a few songs I don't care for, the last two were a bit below the standards of their previous work.

Demilich said:
Of course we are, man! Opeth and Katatonia share a lot of fans, what with Mikael having done vox on a Katatonia album and EP!

For my money, Katatonia's a LOOOOOOOOOT better!
And that's why I'm disappointed they didn't play MURDER at the Novembre/Katatonia/Opeth tour. Mikael did sing MURDER at another gog in Holland, but not at ours, hehe...