Opeth

BlueSky said:
Now deliverance is more depressive??? :lol: Once again I disagree. My point is, yes deliverance is less rich which means it doesn't have the ability to have such compelling atmosphere. Blackwater Park is like being lost deep within haunted woods which is a depressive, dark and eerie feeling. Deliverance as a whole is just brutal without the emotions to convey very much at all. I thought that was pretty obvious but I guess not.
So less rich is automatically less capable to create atmosphere? That's BS. Just listen to Brave Murder Day, one prime example that basic, 'unrich' music can have a very compelling and desolate atmosphere. On Deliverance it's also that which creates the dark 'uneasy' atmosphere.

In your case it seems more that you simply do not like Deliverance and are therefore (logically) less receptive to its atmosphere.

BlueSky said:
Deliverance as a whole is just brutal without the emotions to convey very much at all. I thought that was pretty obvious but I guess not.

You,sir,fail completely.
I urge you to listen to "a fair judgement".
Have a nice day :worship:

MadTinus said:
So less rich is automatically less capable to create atmosphere? That's BS. Just listen to Brave Murder Day, one prime example that basic, 'unrich' music can have a very compelling and desolate atmosphere. On Deliverance it's also that which creates the dark 'uneasy' atmosphere.

In your case it seems more that you simply do not like Deliverance and are therefore (logically) less receptive to its atmosphere.
:lol: well atmosphere usually means earthlike and rich, so I can't follow you on that one. Honestly at first I disliked deliverance but now I enjoy it a lot actually. In the end I think dark is just two different thing's for us. Dark for you seems to be a violent feeling and dark for me is a more haunting erie feeling.

atrocity said:
You,sir,fail completely.
I urge you to listen to "a fair judgement".
Have a nice day :worship:
Oh man! I didn't feel like I had to point out the obvious and I even went to the extent of underlining "as a whole" as you can see. Do you know why I did that? take a guess :Smug:

BlueSky said:
Oh man! I didn't feel like I had to point out the obvious and I even went to the extent of underlining "as a whole" as you can see. Do you know why I did that? take a guess :Smug:

"as a whole" that album is fucking emotional to me [the whole By The Pain I see In Others, clean parts of Deliverance and Master's Apprentices, no need to mention A Fair Judgement],except the first track, Wreath. But yet I guess it depends on your emotions :p

However anyone thinks BWP is dull and plain simple, I'll say that you have no emotions at all. I can't say the same for Deliverance, but if you think that album lacks emotions and it's simple tr000 brutal, you are obviously wrong, or you did not listen closely and completely. :)

atrocity said:
"as a whole" that album is fucking emotional to me [the whole By The Pain I see In Others, clean parts of Deliverance and Master's Apprentices, no need to mention A Fair Judgement],except the first track, Wreath. But yet I guess it depends on your emotions :p

However anyone thinks BWP is dull and plain simple, I'll say that you have no emotions at all. I can't say the same for Deliverance, but if you think that album lacks emotions and it's simple tr000 brutal, you are obviously wrong, or you did not listen closely and completely. :)
When you compare two things you can say "it lacks the emotion" meaning compared to the other-thing you're comparing it to it's not as emotional, and not necessarily mean all things in general. For example Deliverance lack the emotion of Blackwater but has more emotion than lots of other albums.

^ I am not comparing anything, I was just judging album by album. Anyways no need to argue anymore, if I like Deliverance good for me,If you hate it,too bad. :D

atrocity said:
^ I am not comparing anything, I was just judging album by album. Anyways no need to argue anymore, if I like Deliverance good for me,If you hate it,too bad. :D
I assume english is not your first language. You got into a conversation where we were comparing two albums and secondly I already stated how I enjoy Deliverance. You're not making any sense at all.

Lastly I enjoy talking about music in such a manner because It makes people express their true feelings on the subject which they otherwise might not express exactly why they feel a certain way about that piece of music. It helps me understand how people see things differently and I enjoy that. To me this is not an argument but a discussion.

BlueSky said:
:lol: well atmosphere usually means earthlike and rich, so I can't follow you on that one. Honestly at first I disliked deliverance but now I enjoy it a lot actually. In the end I think dark is just two different thing's for us. Dark for you seems to be a violent feeling and dark for me is a more haunting erie feeling.
Atmosphere means invoking emotions. And 'unrich', minimalistic music can invoke a very strong atmosphere/emotions, such as Brave Murder Day for example. Also a lot of doom metal and industrial music is very minimalistic, yet highly atmospheric.

Dark means, down, negative, the oposite of happy, quite simple. Eerie = eerie, it's just another flavour of dark(ness).

BlueSky said:
I assume english is not your first language. You got into a conversation where we were comparing two albums and secondly I already stated how I enjoy Deliverance. You're not making any sense at all.

Lastly I enjoy talking about music in such a manner because It makes people express their true feelings on the subject which they otherwise might not express exactly why they feel a certain way about that piece of music. It helps me understand how people see things differently and I enjoy that. To me this is not an argument but a discussion.

K sorry I am dumbass who doesn't make sense and can't speak his third language which is English, thus I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies. :p

MadTinus said:
Atmosphere means invoking emotions and 'unrich', minimalistic music can invoke a very strong atmosphere/emotions, such as Brave Murder Day for example. Also a lot of doom metal and industrial music is very minimalistic, yet highly atmospheric.

Dark means, down, negative, the oposite of happy, quite simple. Eerie = eerie, it's just another flavour of dark(ness).
since when has atmosphere meant minimalistic or unrich? Look the word up man. Atmosphere is earthlike and composed of lots of elements which means rich. It's just impressive when a band can pull of a very minimalistic cd and give off the impression of atmosphere at the same time but that's very rare and something that is different for everyone. Also meaning it's hard to deny weather you like the cd or not the fact that blackwater has atmosphere because it's very rich and earthlike(earth has more elements than most planets) but it's easier to deny that a minimalistic cd doesn't have atmosphere because that atmosphere comes from your own personal emotions when combined with the minimalistic approach.

Erie=dark is correct and just what I was saying, which is why I feel Blackwater is darker because it has an overwhelming erie feeling. More overwhelming than any feeling on Deliverance in my opinion.

atrocity said:
K sorry I am dumbass who doesn't make sense and can't speak his third language which is English, thus I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies. :p
No need to apologize man we are all friends here :headbang:

MadTinus said:
You tell me, just read my post again.
Ok so what you're saying is that deliverance just has more atmosphere for you. But if we are to look at this factually(looking at atmosphere in contextual sense) and this goes back to my first statement that blackwater is the darkest than it's true as a general statement because factually it has more atmosphere which happens to be dark. :lol:

pwned! jk

I'm with mad tinus on this one.
Both are great albums indeed, but Deliverence is a hell lota darker / more depressive / atmospheric than Blackwater Park, BWP sounds very rich and soothing/harmonic to me, easilly the smoothest metalalbum by Opeth, while Deliverence is edgy/dark/eerie/intimitating whatnot

Well I don't want to go into too much theory but they start off blackwater by holding this dissonant note on the piano that is supposedly the "evil" note and it's supposed to throw you off completely. And the whole cd is like that in where it uses these strange dissonant notes to give you this overwhelming erie feeling. There are some like that on deliverance and all their cds but they didn't go to the the great lengths that they did to give you that feeling as they did on blackwater. They used so many layers on blackwater just to give it such a creep atmosphere and with deliverance it's more stripped down and they concentrated more on heaviness with that record although it still has its moments it's more scarce and not as effective as a whole.

I think the band wanted blackwater to be erie and haunting like a lost soul roaming the woods which is more depressing to me and deliverance to be more violent like a murder. Judging by what I think the band was trying to accomplish I personally feel Blackwater is more effective. That's all I have left to say about that.

it's rather interesting than comical....

oh now i remembered one time i was driving down northern mexican highway to go see my dad, it was winter, 7:30am, i was driving by an area sorrounded by (wal???)nut trees (nuts are quite common up there) and it was all foggy and misty and lonely, i jut saw some goats cross the highway like half a km ahead of me with a black dog with them....and i was listening to BWP and driving alone, and it got all dark until i drove out of that area.... now that was dark and eerie!!!! oh i love BWP so much!!!

hugot said:
it's rather interesting than comical....

oh now i remembered one time i was driving down northern mexican highway to go see my dad, it was winter, 7:30am, i was driving by an area sorrounded by (wal???)nut trees (nuts are quite common up there) and it was all foggy and misty and lonely, i jut saw some goats cross the highway like half a km ahead of me with a black dog with them....and i was listening to BWP and driving alone, and it got all dark until i drove out of that area.... now that was dark and eerie!!!! oh i love BWP so much!!!

that reminded straight away this:

Rifugium said:
I saw a bird explode today

----------------------------------------------------------

So I'm driving down the highway. I was listening to Day 12 by Ayreon, and just when Akerfeldt grunts: "You let her DIIIIIIEE!!!" this huge crow flies into a power line and literally explodes. There's a big puff of death smoke and feathers everywhere, and the corpse just falls to the ground. The uncanny simultaneity of the two events was quite astounding.

directly from the temple of hate... Opeth forum.