I want my Opeth back!!! now!!!

Devilish monster from the hill

tick tick tick tack
Jan 5, 2002
Blackwater Park was ok but he wasn't on the same level as still life or orchid (totaly).
Many people tell me, and I actually argee that this might be the end of opeth. They are recycling ideas and they don't sound unique and fresh like they used to.

When I heard about the double album I was shocked, "how possibly can Opeth agree to this shit"? making a soft album and the seond heavy one is like tearing up their music.
It's not going to be opeth anymore, because the whole idea of combine those two is what I liked about them.

what do you think? :confused:

well the heavy album is going to be their traditional style, blending mellow and heavy. the other one is going to be jazz-rock style, like Face of Melinda. I don't see what the big fuss is. And I think BWP holds up perfectly well alongside other releases, though my favorite is Morningrise...

I'm not exactly the biggest Opeth fan around but i'm pretty exicted about this upcoming release. The only thing I don't like about it is how the CDs are being sold separately... but apart from that I can hardly wait.

Originally posted by Devilish monster from the hill
making a soft album and the seond heavy one is like tearing up their music.
It's not going to be opeth anymore, because the whole idea of combine those two is what I liked about them.

this is totaly Opeth. its what opeth are. i have absolutely no doubt that lyricaly this will be brilliant and as for the music, its always been great, i bet there were loads of doubters after still life and if Opeth had done what you'd wanted and stuck to something brilliant and not try and broaden their horizens i dont think still life and BWP would be made. they cant stand still and not move forward.

Blackwater Park was ok but he wasn't on the same level as still life or orchid (totaly)......what do you think? :confused:

stop smoking crack. i beleive it will be good, and is also a good idea. as maudlin of the well 2cd set was good.

Originally posted by blakmetalemp
the cds are going to be sold seperately? that does suck!:mad: :(

"Sweden's OPETH have confirmed via their official web site that the group are currently writing the material for not only one, but two full-length CDs that will receive a simultaneous release in late 2002 or early 2003. According to a statement from the band, “the plan is to release separate CDs at the same time, one heavy, one mellow. The heavy CD will be typical OPETH with all its ingredients, including mellow parts, while the 'mellow' CD will have more laid-back material.” "

:mad:

I am glad they are selling seperately. Just think of it like this, instead of releasing one, waiting two years, and releasing another, they are making two, and releasing at the same time. It's no biggie, you're getting two CD's for the same price, two Jewelcases, two album booklets. Two COMPLETELY different CD's, just because they are themed with each other doesn't mean they can't stand alone. It's not as if after the release the favorite album polls will say as choices:

1)Orchid
2)Morningrise
3)MAYH
4)Still Life
5)BWP
6)Black/White (whatever it's called)

It will be two seperate choices, people will have their favorites, TWO Cd's, you should have to buy both. I'm looking forward to this release.

if they are going to release them at the same time, it just makes sense to me to release them as a 2 disc set, i would think it would be less hassle to put out one 2disc set as opposed to two individual cd's and would also think better sales from the one 2disc set.

but alas i do not run it.

This is not a departure from natural Opeth, but Opeth on a grander scale. Opeth music has always been about transition and dynamics. This is it on a larger scale. It's like a crystal. The large reflects the small. The ultimate transition. To say that it's no longer Opeth is misguided.

well i thought it was quite obvious why theres seperate cds. i think its for the same reason Drapery Falls was released as an ''edit'' on a kerrang cd. to be more accessable. a lot of people dont like the growls and a 90% (or whatever it is) would be great to ease people into the growls, and not everyone would like the growls full stop anyway. im deffinately looking forward to both cds and we could see opeth get the attention they greatly deserve. (it makes me sick sometimes to see other bands make it big and then bands like opeth, although they are relatively big in the scene dont get the credit they deserve.) i dont know what the whole 'this isnt opeth' fuss is about, the heavy cd could be something like Orchid again, i mean that didnt have loads of clean vox in it. and you can see the clean vocals one as a bonus. for me, i see any Opeth release as a bonus. with the 5 great albums theyve got under their belts even if they did (and they wont) release a poor album by their standards weve got a lot to fall back on in terms of quality. i cant see Opeth making a bad album.

Blackwater Park was ok but he wasn't on the same level as still life or orchid (totaly).
Many people tell me, and I actually argee that this might be the end of opeth. They are recycling ideas and they don't sound unique and fresh like they used to.

When I heard about the double album I was shocked, "how possibly can Opeth agree to this shit"? making a soft album and the seond heavy one is like tearing up their music.

Hear hear. You're right on the mark on your assessment of BWP, and you're also justified in bringing up the separate double CD issue. The next album carries a huge risk and it might well be disappointing. However, Mikael deserves another chance.

I hate to say it but I think the two CD's are being sold seperately so they'll make more money. Simple as that. Why release two albums worth of work for the price of one. They can make twice as much doing this.
Plus, the mellow CD is intended to be more accessible to non-metalheads. If Opeth sells the hell out of the mellow one and not the heavy one then we can kiss the death vocals goodbye for the albums after these. That's how it looks to me. Im fine with Opeth getting the recognition they deserve and the money. I just don't want their music to get wimpy in an effort to sell more records.
I am a pessimist in case you're wondering.

I assume many of you have already thought about this, but I will ask anyway. Could this double album be a calculated attempt to appease their original fan base while at the same time reeling in a new one?

Why is anyone even complaining?

Think of it like this. The first CD will be like.. any other Opeth album mostly. Pretend it's their 6th. Then wow, you have this whole bonus CD of mellow songs.

I always try to adapt to what a band is doing at least somewhat, if you keep expecting them to turn out the same stuff constantly then you're just setting up to be disappointed. But if you get into the direction they take (as long as it's not a purely shitty direction) then you can't lose.

-Hondo

All of Opeth's albums are fucking awesome IMO. Blackwater Park is no exception. Its their most textured release to date. And the 2 new albums will more than likely be awesome too.

I honestly don't see Opeth getting on MTV anytime soon, so all you people saying that they're probably releasing the mellow album for money are wrong.

:mad: i cannot believe that someone said sth like that about opeth. can u show me any other band like opeth.. Opeth is the just one my friend. you can find simliar groups, similar lyrics and also similar music for all bands but opeth is totaly different... with its unbelievable lyrics (stories..), vokals and melodies..can try to desciribe their music..its impossible.. i dont think that anyone can do this THINK like opeth now and also in the future...
so wake up and please show some respect..I'm not a great or best fan of opeth but i know and believe that they arent and wont be a gorup like that you said.. read some of their interwiews and think about their music...