Opeth

awe shit opeth... im sticking with Andrés up there, "uninspired" is what ghost reveries sounded to me... actually, damnation too was a boring listen... if im going to listen to another steven wilson project i prefer blackfield... i expected a really HUGE album, instead, porcupine tree all over, a remake or mordet i grottan in english, great drumming, i must admit... but nothing else, 3 or 4 songs are worth it... me...i'm still a fan and i really really hope they take a big long break and get inspired to write something as big as when they tried to be Camel... so all posers can forget about them hehe...

i'm actually glad they cancelled their latin american tour...

so I'm sticking with orchid, morningrise and MAYH thank you very much.

I used to love Opeth, and still love the early stuff, but after Still Life, there's nothing really they can do that isn't repetive or will top any of those first four. I don't hate or strongly dislike anything after those four, but nothing really raises the bar IMO or really blows m away like the first time I heard To Bid you Farewell or Demon of the Fall or Benighted etc etc

Opeth is more talanted imho...
Maybe after BMD'96 Katatonia became to play in some different style?

1. Style
Opeth more death stuff isn't?

2. Vocalist
Michael has better voice than Jonas-as clean and so growls

Opeth much more closer to me guyz

I like BMD and Diabolical Sharade :evil: ( all albums) that's all..

are you somehow related to salient?

from what i can gather you wouldve liked katatonia to play in the same style as opeth?? bah!
I think back to when i heard bmd and morningrise, and i saw a relation there, but then i realised it was the vocalist, and nothing more... its just different styles my friend... im not sure if talent makes a difference all the time.

I agree with the general consensus here.

Orchid = excellent atmosphere
Morningrise = one of the best things I've ever heard, especially the guitarmonies
My Arms Your Hearse = very consistent and strong atmosphere; excellent songwriting
Sill Life = the first half is damn good, the second half is dull and listless. "Face of Melinda" wouldn't sound out of place on the Weather Channel.
Blackwater Park = A Few good ideas but the songwriting insn't there. Too much repetition.
Deliverence = Fucking horrible. What an embarassment. Some of the riffs sound like Trey Azagthoth throw-aways.
Damnation = Suprisingly good, mainly because of the economic songwriting approach that Opeth had never really tried before. A few dull spots though.
Ghost Reveries = Terrible. A few good ideas drowning a sea of filler. Many riffs/ideas borrowed from older albums. The proggy bits sound really forced. Great singing/drumming though.

Vex Loser said:
I agree with the general consensus here.

Orchid = excellent atmosphere
Morningrise = one of the best things I've ever heard, especially the guitarmonies
My Arms Your Hearse = very consistent and strong atmosphere; excellent songwriting
Sill Life = the first half is damn good, the second half is dull and listless. "Face of Melinda" wouldn't sound out of place on the Weather Channel.
Blackwater Park = A Few good ideas but the songwriting insn't there. Too much repetition.
Deliverence = Fucking horrible. What an embarassment. Some of the riffs sound like Trey Azagthoth throw-aways.
Damnation = Suprisingly good, mainly because of the economic songwriting approach that Opeth had never really tried before. A few dull spots though.
Ghost Reveries = Terrible. A few good ideas drowning a sea of filler. Many riffs/ideas borrowed from older albums. The proggy bits sound really forced. Great singing/drumming though.
why talk about songwriting when you don't consider the first two cds especially have terrible songwriting. Orchid is like a million different riffs thrown together. morningrise has just as bad of songstructure and the songs are extremely long and boring.

BlueSky said:
morningrise has just as bad of songstructure and the songs are extremely long and boring.

...you think. however many people, including me will admit that Morningrise is a fucking masterpiece! I advise you to relisten to it, i hope one day you'll realize it's beauty and perfection :)

well it's true that this is only my opinion but even Mikael admitted the first two cds where horrible in song structure.

if anyone cares about yet another oppinion, I think the first two albums are bad, MAYH and still ife is good, BWP is music at its finest, deliverance is great, damnation is almost as good as bwp, and gr is tr00 br00talness..

Lefthander said:
Maybe after BMD'96 Katatonia became to play in some different style?
If I understand correctly (I don't thinkk I do) then I don't agree, the big change for Katatonia in sound was not from BMD to Discouraged Ones, it was from DODS to BMD, if you pay attention to the sound (not the voice) then BMD is fairly similar to new Katatonia......... Is it clear?:lol:

i dont know about the song structure but whenever i listen to Morning Rise the beatiful tunes stick to my head. it is a kick ass album

yeah discouraged ones is kind of similar to BMD