Atlanta Review

Drd77

Apr 26, 2008
Georgia
Just got back from an amazing show here in Atlanta. It was at the Tabernacle, which is a perfect place for an Opeth show because it is a 100 year-old church. Anyway, everyone played great except Between the Buried and Me. I hated his voice. They had a good guitarist though. Three was really good and I'm going to check them out now. I was expecting Dream Theater to be a lot worse than they were from what people were saying. They played really great, especially Petrucci who is a God. At the end of the show, Portnoy said that we were one of the best crowds. I was honored...

Opeth was by far my favorite act. This was my first time seeing them and they are even better live, which is impossible. Mikael is hilarious, and the new members fit in perfectly. I can't get over how insane Per(the keyboardist)'s headbanging is. And I really can't over how close I was to the stage and the band. We were within 10 feet. I also really enjoyed Heir Apparent. Opeth still has it after all of these years.

Opeth's Setlist:
Demon of the Fall
The Baying of the Hounds
To Rid the Disease
Wreath
Heir Apparent
The Drapery Falls

I was there tonight as well and drove three and a half hours from TN to see it. I went for Three, BTBAM and Opeth, and I loved each one of those. I thought BTBAM were great. But anyway, I was not impressed with Dream Theater at all. Awesome show except the venue was hotter than hell.

By the way, Portnoy put some sign on his drum during the encore. I can't remember what name that was on it, and what the deal was.

Yeah, it definitely got pretty sticky in there. And my back was killing me towards the end. And my neck is extremely sore right now. But it was all worth it.

Was awesome as hell, but I was quite hot in the upper balcony.

Three was a great opener. I'd easily pay to see them by themselves.

Demon of the Fall was an incredible opening song for Opeth. I liked the set-list but a shame they couldn't have played another hour. Akerfeldt is a great frontman.

Granted Dream Theater was wonderful as well.

Long time lurker here; hi y'all.

My first time seeing Opeth and they were quite awesome. I was somewhat disappointed they didn't play more songs from the first 4 albums. Although I understand that this time, each song was from a diff. album, some of the PN sets have had Masters Apprentices instead of Demon of the Fall. Hmm, so are the Deliverance/GR songs perceived as more "crowd friendly"? Unrelated, did anyone notice a soundfux, especially during Drapery Falls? It seemed to me that Mikael's guitars were much louder than they should have been, and it kinda masked out some of the wailing lead guitar parts (around 8:50 onwards, especially).

DT was okay too, but the individual-skill "wankery" that they sometimes do puts me off. Listening to albums is of course good (though I feel that the instrumental parts sometimes go on too long and do not fit in cohesively with the songs), but the stage antics were weird. Especially the stuff they did to make James LaBrie "disappear"... the poor dude was having to go to the back of the stage, apparently for a drink... only he did that after every verse. He probably drank 10 gallons of water while he was on there :).

BTBAM was technically impressive as well (missed 3, unfortunately). All in all, great show. Will definitely be there for Opeth's September visit... hope they show more love for the older songs.

This was my eighth time seeing Opeth, and as they played immaculately as always, they seemed less crowd friendly, which sucked because Mikael adds much to the shows. The people screaming profanities were obviously deficient in judgement.

Wreath was my favorite for the night, and after hearing Heir Apparent, I am now more anxious to hear the new album.

Otherwise, the venue was hotter than hell, the man next to me smelt like twenty-three days of not bathing before the show not to mention what he smelt like during and after (seriously, I am not offended by smelly, sweaty men at concerts but this was almost inconceivable), and there was a seven foot creature in front of me who was about as friendly as his ability to menstruate. *Note: intentional elbowing is not cool.

I visited with a few of the guys after the show in the bar, and they were great as always, even being transcendently friendly towards their fans.

I look forward to their headlining tour this autumn.