Atmospheric / Ambient sound samples? Recommendations?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Does anyone know where I can get some good atmosphereic / ambient sound samples to use for post-rock/ambient kind of music? (In the style of Godspeed You! Black Emperor!, God is an astronaut, etc.)
This is the only good example of what I can find...
http://www.futurewaveshaper.com/Sounds/Sound_Atmospheres/

I like those, but I'm looking for a lot more options if they are out there. I don't want to just buy the first pack I come across.

Thanks!

Sine waves with lots of delay and reverb

Hit your guitar with various things, I use one of my lighters as a slide quite frequently (sounds better and feels better than any slide i ever used, it is a special slide lighter :D)
generally, much reverb and delay

feedback, computer fans pitched down and timestreched (although that is a bit more mechanical, i am more into more organic textures myself)

I play my amp just as much as my guitar..

you can make your own with anything. here's a freeware vst that imitates reason's nn19, nn29, a basic but functional sampler. now go wild with effects like gareth said :D

Sine waves with lots of delay and reverb

Hit your guitar with various things, I use one of my lighters as a slide quite frequently (sounds better and feels better than any slide i ever used, it is a special slide lighter :D)
generally, much reverb and delay

feedback, computer fans pitched down and timestreched (although that is a bit more mechanical, i am more into more organic textures myself)

I play my amp just as much as my guitar..

I'm so trying all of that! :kickass: thanks man!

cinematic guitars of samplelogic, great library for kontakt!!!!!!

definitely a must have! ;)

With creative use of delay(s), reverb(s) and some modulation effects you can make unique ambient atmospheres and samples yourself. Try it!

Kinda OT here (not so ambient), but I remember doing a bassdrop-influenced synth chord drop with a short, slightly distorted chord with a long reverb added and then I just pitch shifted it to slide down an octave with Cubase's pitch shifter function. I kept the actual bassdrop with lower volume to give it some low end - it turned out great! :)

I copied a load from library sound effects cds . Really you just need a good ear thats always open and a means to record it at a moments notice if truth be told . You can recreate stuff at will also ...you never want to use the exact same source sound tho . If you can mask the source to the point that it is nolonger recognizable radio & TV or DVD film . Backwards editing , pitch shifting , playback speeds . Samplers and a multitude of effects and so on ... Think about what liam must have tried when developing sounds for the prodigy . Really love that shit .

I've tried that approach before, while it definitely works, I'm just curious about how the movie business guys do it. I really doubt they run around with mics chasing lightning storms...

No . There are probably Sound effect guys who recorded it all in advance but im sure some chasing was involved .