Atreyu Question...

PatrickHoyt

The Darkitecht
Jun 3, 2007
Daytona, Florida
When did they start writing halfway decent music? I came across this video and had plans to remind myself of why I didn't like Atreyu, and was honestly surprised at how they sound. Not saying I would go buy the album, but this is better than anything I remember them doing when I first heard about them a long time ago and it even has an 80's metal style guitar solo. And I really like how the drummer is a better singer than the singer.

Last edited by a moderator:
When did they start writing halfway decent music? I came across this video and had plans to remind myself of why I didn't like Atreyu, and was honestly surprised at how they sound. Not saying I would go buy the album, but this is better than anything I remember them doing when I first heard about them a long time ago and it even has an 80's metal style guitar solo. And I really like how the drummer is a better singer than the singer.

honestly, in my completely biased opinion they have always been solid at whatever they do. they are the hardest working band i have ever known in the history of my record label. people seem to forget they didn't just arrive on top they had to work to get there.

i mean i did see and hear something promising so many years ago when i first signed them and released their EP, "Fractures In The Facade..." in 2001.

honestly, in my completely biased opinion they have always been solid at whatever they do. they are the hardest working band i have ever known in the history of my record label. people seem to forget they didn't just arrive on top they had to work to get there.

i mean i did see and hear something promising so many years ago when i first signed them and released their EP, "Fractures In The Facade..." in 2001.

Oh Im by no means discrediting their hard work, but their past music never grabbed me, and this actually got my attention. I was, as I said, surprised.

I think the reasons they get bashed are truly of no fault of their own.
Them, along like many other bands, are always marketed the wrong way to go with the current trend.

Victory Records is the worst at this, in my opinion.
If a band of theirs is on Ozzfest, they are marketed as metal.
If the next year the band is on Warped tour, they are marketed as punk or alternative.

To be honest, I am not sure if I ever heard an Atreyu track, so I can't comment on the music.

Victory Records is the worst at this, in my opinion.
If a band of theirs is on Ozzfest, they are marketed as metal.
If the next year the band is on Warped tour, they are marketed as punk or alternative.

[cheap marketing ploy] duuuuude, they're totally doom metal. the doomiest of the doom. enjoy. [/cheap marketing ploy]

I think the reasons they get bashed are truly of no fault of their own.
Them, along like many other bands, are always marketed the wrong way to go with the current trend.

Nah, it's not Victory's fault in this case. They wear eyeliner, have the "emo" hair, etc. That definitely leads to their bashing.

I can't hate on them too much because I'll admit to listening to them when I was 15 or so. But it's not really marketing that makes people hate them. I can't make it through a full track these days.

There are certain bands, who after seeing a single video of theirs on the Headbanger's Ball, fall into my "No Interest" category:

All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Bullet for my Valentine
Chimaira
DevilDriver
Hatebreed
Shadows Fall
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Red Chord
Throwdown
Unearth
etc.

Zod

I will admit I liked the cd "Butterfly something err... other" I dont remember that name exactly, but what appeals to my ears is nothing close to them any more.

any and all powermetal remains supreme \m/HAIL\m/

even though it was one of the bands i first listened to.

Glad i grew out of it!

but no there music is not ABSOLUTELY terrible, at least their guitarist can solo.

Sounds like Atreyu posing as a metal band, which is what they've always done. Same thing with Avenged Sevenfold and way too many other bands out there. Trivium might just get it right some day. Bullet for my Valentine can keep trying.

There are certain bands, who after seeing a single video of theirs on the Headbanger's Ball, fall into my "No Interest" category:

All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Bullet for my Valentine
Chimaira
DevilDriver
Hatebreed
Shadows Fall
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Red Chord
Throwdown
Unearth
etc.

Zod

Dillinger Escape Plan's album that was produced(?) by Mike Patton is excellent. All that Remains first couple albums were very good, their last one was lackluster. Atreyu is good when you dig below the surface.

The rest of those bands suck.

Dillinger Escape Plan's album that was produced(?) by Mike Patton is excellent. All that Remains first couple albums were very good, their last one was lackluster. Atreyu is good when you dig below the surface.

The rest of those bands suck.

DEP ep with Patton actually featuring Patton doing ALL the vocals. Great stuff.

Sounds like Atreyu posing as a metal band, which is what they've always done. Same thing with Avenged Sevenfold and way too many other bands out there. Trivium might just get it right some day. Bullet for my Valentine can keep trying.

i don't think they "pose." Dan, the short guitarist, has always been into hair metal since i have known him circa 2000. he was rocking that stuff in their sound since the beginning. again, a band gets big before most anyone knows about their roots are automatically "posing." haha.

i guess i am a poser for re-issuing thrash metal now, but released Atreyu's first EP back in the day, eh? hahaha even though i am 37 and grew up going to thrash metal shows. :headbang: