Atreyu Question...

I'd have to agree with this almost entirely. I don't think The Dillinger Escape Plan though.
Understood. When I use to watch the ball, I'd see the band and ear the music. Often, I didn't even make it to the vocal line. My wife would laugh when I'd start fast forwarding after about ten second sampling. Sometimes I'd make it to the vocals before the fast forwarding would begin. I don't recall, but I'm guessing these guys have Metalcore vocals?

Zod

Sort of. I guess?

This one has more 'core'ish' vocals, but there's so much else going on that they easily separate themselves from the genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dillinger is interesting. The vox aren't really typical metalcore (As I Lay Dying, Unearth, etc) but I could see how they fit in that category. The musicianship is fantastic though. They have one of the best drummers in metal and the guitar work is really fun to listen to.

Their live performances are INSANE.

There are certain bands, who after seeing a single video of theirs on the Headbanger's Ball, fall into my "No Interest" category:

All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Bullet for my Valentine
Chimaira
DevilDriver
Hatebreed
Shadows Fall
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Red Chord
Throwdown
Unearth
etc.

Zod

That's too bad - from your list above I really like Atreyu, Chimaira, DevilDriver and TDEP. And I don't think All That Remains are that bad either.

c.

Case in point: the new Immortal CD. Not one Best Buy store within 500 miles of Atlanta is carrying it...I know this because I had them check and the CD had been "deleted." Nearest copy on a Best Buy shelf was in someplace like Michigan...and this, for one of Nuclear Blast's biggest releases of the year. (It's weird, because they DID have, say, Psycroptic on the shelf there....)

The helpful but nonplussed metalhead kid at Best Buy suggested I try Hot Topic...and not only did they have it featured, but it was on sale for $12. And of course, they carry a fair amount of metal CDs along with the goth, hardcore and emo.

See, all I find in Hot Topic are the goth, hardcore and emo stuff. I've never found any good metal there. However, the Best Buy in Springfield has tons of metal I like. I've gotten Kamelot, HammerFall, Ayreon, Edguy, Rhapsody, Within Temptation, Cellador and many others there. I've also seen Noctournal Rites, Primal Fear, DragonForce, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom, Nile, and a bunch of black metal I can't recall off the top of my head, at our Best Buy.

However, every other Best Buy I've been to, both in this state and in other states, has a really crappy selection of metal. The one in Peoria has a decent selection, but it's still not as good as Springfield's selection. So there must be a decent number of power, prog, death, and black metal fans in and around Springfield, IL, to warrant such a selection. Which makes me wonder why I haven't actually met any other power/prog fans in this area, since it seems to be the only Best Buy in the state that caters to such fans.

At this rate, our Best Buy could probably just have a "metal" section.

There are certain bands, who after seeing a single video of theirs on the Headbanger's Ball, fall into my "No Interest" category:

All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Bullet for my Valentine
Chimaira
DevilDriver
Hatebreed
Shadows Fall
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Red Chord
Throwdown
Unearth
etc.

Zod

Zod....when did you get the job as booker of Chicago Powerfest?

Understood. When I use to watch the ball, I'd see the band and ear the music. Often, I didn't even make it to the vocal line. My wife would laugh when I'd start fast forwarding after about ten second sampling. Sometimes I'd make it to the vocals before the fast forwarding would begin. I don't recall, but I'm guessing these guys have Metalcore vocals?

Zod

Not quite. The best comparison to Dillinger is that of Meshuggah really. Loud yelling, but not quite the annoying and sometimes mainstreamish screaming metalcore has.

HOT TOPIC
--Which is fast becoming my first choice to find metal CDs locally if I don't have time to mail-order them.

i agree, sadly enough the indie store i used to manage went under and if i want to find metal in this town anymore i have to go to either HOT TOPIC or surprisingly enough FYE. which FYE in greensboro has all single disc (non-special edition) cds for only $9.99. it's quite a bargain.

HOT TOPIC carries plenty of my label's releases and i thank them for it, regardless of what their image as a store is. the bottom line is for most people across the country they are one of the FEW remaining storefronts actually CARRYING cds.

yes, the jnco and bondage pants are still there but i just ignore and get my cds.

:headbang:

Hatebreed still is a good hardcore band. Granted none of their recent releases have been as good as Satisfaction but they still put out quality music.

HATEBREED is my "f*ck sh*t up!" guilty pleasure. i listen to their discs and i pump my fist and bang my head. good stuff always. sure each album is a regurgitation of the last but i still love it. they were a huge influence for my band back in 2001.

Veggie and I are from 30 minutes away, so we count!

That BB really changes its metal selection a lot. For a few years, they only had a handful of MAIDEN and SABBATH albums, and next to nothing of any other metal band. Now I guess metal's cool again, and they've got a ton of it.

What? Really? I'm about 20 minutes south and west of Springfield. Mini ProgPower meetup, Pate? :D

Also, I think I talked to you about Bradley U awhile back, since I graduated from there in '05. :)

HATEBREED is my "f*ck sh*t up!" guilty pleasure. i listen to their discs and i pump my fist and bang my head. good stuff always. sure each album is a regurgitation of the last but i still love it. they were a huge influence for my band back in 2001.

I used to really like Hatebreed.
I don't have anything against them.
I just think they play hardcore better than whatever it is they do now, I suppose it isn't 100% metalcore, but still more Pantera-influenced than before. (Not even sure if that's right, but you get my drift).

They are a good live band, which always gets my respect regardless of what I think of a band's music.

I used to really like Hatebreed.
I don't have anything against them.
I just think they play hardcore better than whatever it is they do now, I suppose it isn't 100% metalcore, but still more Pantera-influenced than before. (Not even sure if that's right, but you get my drift).

They are a good live band, which always gets my respect regardless of what I think of a band's music.

yes, i get your drift. the new album actually has repeating/similar riffs in several songs and i am not talking from past albums because that is always the case, but i am speaking of similar parts from songs on same album! hahaha, but hell, it's hatebreed not rocket science! :headbang: