Atreyu Question...

There are certain bands, who after seeing a single video of theirs on the Headbanger's Ball, fall into my "No Interest" category:

All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Bullet for my Valentine
Chimaira
DevilDriver
Hatebreed
Shadows Fall
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Red Chord
Throwdown
Unearth
etc.

Zod

You had to watch a dozen videos to know those bands blow?
Out of that list, the only semi-tolerable one to me is SHADOWS FALL, as I think they are really good musicians, and a good live band.

Hatebreed was good as a hardcore band, but like many bands, once they fall victim to false marketing and try to be something they are not, they lose all of what made them appealing in the first place.

There are certain bands, who after seeing a single video of theirs on the Headbanger's Ball, fall into my "No Interest" category:

All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Bullet for my Valentine
Chimaira
DevilDriver
Hatebreed
Shadows Fall
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Red Chord
Throwdown
Unearth
etc.

Zod

Seconded, whole-heartedly. :headbang:

Sounds like Atreyu posing as a metal band, which is what they've always done. Same thing with Avenged Sevenfold and way too many other bands out there. Trivium might just get it right some day. Bullet for my Valentine can keep trying.

Hey many pose as metal bands just scan over the "progressive metal" sub-genre
And my girlfried's suggestiopn behind me "can Nightwish really be considered metal?"

I think the reasons they get bashed are truly of no fault of their own.
Them, along like many other bands, are always marketed the wrong way to go with the current trend.

Victory Records is the worst at this, in my opinion.
If a band of theirs is on Ozzfest, they are marketed as metal.
If the next year the band is on Warped tour, they are marketed as punk or alternative.

To be honest, I am not sure if I ever heard an Atreyu track, so I can't comment on the music.

kind of agree here is some regards. Though the band is able to be market towards many audiences and more power to them for that. As for discrediting their metalness well metal has changed and keeps changing. As much as I don't care for it that is the way it is. Here I would think the word "progressive" would be understood.
It really isn't my thing but honestly I don't think a lot of bands with the "metal" tag are heavy metal (Epica for example) but not everything can be Manilla Road (one of the greatest metal bands ever by the way)

You had to watch a dozen videos to know those bands blow?
Out of that list, the only semi-tolerable one to me is SHADOWS FALL, as I think they are really good musicians, and a good live band.

Hatebreed was good as a hardcore band, but like many bands, once they fall victim to false marketing and try to be something they are not, they lose all of what made them appealing in the first place.

Hatebreed still is a good hardcore band. Granted none of their recent releases have been as good as Satisfaction but they still put out quality music.

Yep, as I said.....marketing.........

It ensures their product will remain on the shelf at Hot Topic.
It works, so I can't fault them for it.

Nah, you said that they're marketed that way to go along with the current trend.

They've been doing that since they started.

Sounds like Atreyu posing as a metal band, which is what they've always done. Same thing with Avenged Sevenfold and way too many other bands out there. Trivium might just get it right some day. Bullet for my Valentine can keep trying.

i don't think they "pose." Dan, the short guitarist, has always been into hair metal since i have known him circa 2000. he was rocking that stuff in their sound since the beginning. again, a band gets big before most anyone knows about their roots are automatically "posing." haha.

i guess i am a poser for re-issuing thrash metal now, but released Atreyu's first EP back in the day, eh? hahaha even though i am 37 and grew up going to thrash metal shows. :headbang:

i don't think they "pose." Dan, the short guitarist, has always been into hair metal since i have known him circa 2000. he was rocking that stuff in their sound since the beginning. again, a band gets big before most anyone knows about their roots are automatically "posing." haha.

i guess i am a poser for re-issuing thrash metal now, but released Atreyu's first EP back in the day, eh? hahaha even though i am 37 and grew up going to thrash metal shows. :headbang:

in a hardcore band wearing a Loudness t shirt and opening the show with Glass Tiger...Or was it The Outfield?
Anway you're a poser:lol: I know those Melissa Manchester CDs for really for you and not your dad.

Who cares dude, props to you for discovering a band that went on to do big things. You should be proud.

All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Bullet for my Valentine
Chimaira
DevilDriver
Hatebreed
Shadows Fall
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Red Chord
Throwdown
Unearth
etc.

Zod

I'd have to agree with this almost entirely. I don't think The Dillinger Escape Plan though. I understand why you might not like them. They're a very "OUT THERE" sort of band and have a limited fan base because of it. They're great musicians though.

Bullet is a definite poser band, but sometimes I like them. They're one of those bands for me where there are days I think they're awesome and days I fucking hate them to the core. I don't know why that it is though.

It doesn't make you a poser, it makes you a businessman.

To me (and many others) "scene" is not metal. "Scene" is just marketing a product based on fashion and social trends. Produce a CD of trite crabcore that waters down At the Gates and Carcass riffs, come up with a seemingly thoughtful or utterly ridiculous name, and give it a bright colored front image with a picture of scene clones on the back and you've got yourself a product to move in Hot Topic and FYE.

Atreyu may have started out with an identity for themselves but ultimately what they are now as a band will keep me disinterested in their music forever.

Man, I thought this thread was going to be about the Neverending Story...

Hey, there's certainly a power-metal connection, via Dragonland. :)

Right about now, my Auryn necklace is glowing and getting warm. :lol:

...it gets them into Hot Topic

--Which is fast becoming my first choice to find metal CDs locally if I don't have time to mail-order them.

Case in point: the new Immortal CD. Not one Best Buy store within 500 miles of Atlanta is carrying it...I know this because I had them check and the CD had been "deleted." Nearest copy on a Best Buy shelf was in someplace like Michigan...and this, for one of Nuclear Blast's biggest releases of the year. (It's weird, because they DID have, say, Psycroptic on the shelf there....)

The helpful but nonplussed metalhead kid at Best Buy suggested I try Hot Topic...and not only did they have it featured, but it was on sale for $12. And of course, they carry a fair amount of metal CDs along with the goth, hardcore and emo.

It doesn't make you a poser, it makes you a businessman.

To me (and many others) "scene" is not metal. "Scene" is just marketing a product based on fashion and social trends. Produce a CD of trite crabcore that waters down At the Gates and Carcass riffs, come up with a seemingly thoughtful or utterly ridiculous name, and give it a bright colored front image with a picture of scene clones on the back and you've got yourself a product to move in Hot Topic and FYE.

Atreyu may have started out with an identity for themselves but ultimately what they are now as a band will keep me disinterested in their music forever.

I don't think Matt did the thrash stuff for capitalizing reasons. But I doubt he would complain if they make money either.
As for the marketing of bands well every "scene" does the same damn thing. Be it power and progressive metal bands, nu-metal, metalcore, emo or whatever the bands of a genre are all interchangeable for the most part. The only difference is some of these genres hit a larger market. These 'Hot Topic" bands are merely Bon Jovis and Poisons of today. And if everyone in this forum was the age now we were when Cinderella hooked us we would be buying all of these Avenge Seven Fold bands. Serious, Poison, Tuff, Britney Fox and crap like that wasn't much better.
note; this example can be work for any age group.

Hey, there's certainly a power-metal connection, via Dragonland. :)

Right about now, my Auryn necklace is glowing and getting warm. :lol:

"Turn around, and look at what you see, ee ee yee ee ee yee ee ee yee..."

Hahaha, glad to see that Fantasia lives inside of you as well! :lol:

But to put my post back to the subject at hand, I would like to say that Atreyu is the type of band that makes you wish you would have showed up a little later to the KROQ Alice in Chains/Guns n' Roses summer show a few years ago.

What do Atreyu and a Dentist have in common? The sound of their instruments make me cringe equally! :lol: