Attack Attack - Attack Attack

Im curious about the chorus in Smokahotas. I can hear vocal harmonies. Real or an Eventide type scenario? Interested in achieving a similar effect.

he said somewhere that he uses some harmonizer first to audition how the line goes to the singer, then he makes the singer sing the harmony and mutes the harmonizer track. Tried to search, but couldn't find the thread.

edit: found it: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/9711256-post2.html
all of the above. sometimes its me, sometimes its garrett, sometimes its the drummer (rarely tho! haha). or john... it really depends, and its really random. if we can't find the harmony by ear, we use tools to figure out what we're missing. antares makes a harmony engine, and you can set it a certain way so that you can hear a harmony solo. i play that back a few times for the vocalist to learn it, then he sings it. i've had trolls try to tell me "your harmonies are fake, you use this or that." but anyone in their right mind wouldn't keep those unless you're going for an imogen heap style thing. and honestly i've only ever done that once, on a let's get it song. real harmonies are a must.

anyone know who recorded/mixed the new tracks for the deluxe edition of this album? doesn't sound like Joeys mixes... although I know Caleb is quite nifty at producing so it could be his work.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahjteam said:
he said somewhere that he uses some harmonizer first to audition how the line goes to the singer, then he makes the singer sing the harmony and mutes the harmonizer track. Tried to search, but couldn't find the thread.

edit: found it: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/9711256-post2.html

Yea my question now is, since I'm poor, any good free/cheapware that'll Jimmy up a harmony for me like that?
Just wonderin cause I use freeware plugs for like everything

Hi joey, love the thread

not sure on the band but i really love the bass tone on the new attack attack record, especially on the smokahontas track

just wondered if you could give abit of insight into the tone and what bass you used etc to get this tone

dont worry im not after podfarm presets, i'd rather have my own feel on things, just abit of an insight will be nice though on how you got it to sound so seperate but still really glued in the mix

thanks joey

he uses UAD Nigel,but that's not the point.you can obtain that sound even with pod farm. i usually have 2 bass line:eek:ne is DI with comp and EQ'ing,the other has a distortion (someone says that you can use the same guitar preset, but i prefer to do a new preset.The Sans amp simulation in podfarm is really good. ).To obtain that sound you need new strings and sound that bass as you wanna break it.in other word sound strongly those strings.

have been playing around with a tone and got it pretty similar, love running the sansamp on a seperate channel, means you can really crunch the amp with maybe a screamer (love the screamer on hardly any gain but boosting before the ampeg fliptop) and running the sansamp means you can loose minimal low end, its amazing!

Can I please get as much info on this as possible!?!
I have been obsessed with this mix for over a year, and even made an attempt and posted it.

Any info at all regarding what processing was done to the guitars/bass, and what drums were used within slate?
A friend of mine owns Slate Platinum 3.5, and if I can get some info on what components were used, which drums, and what kind of processing, I will buy Slate for myself just to get this drum sound!

The kick, snare, and guitars sound perfect to me. The chuggas are so insanely punchy, and everything gels so perfectly. I cant express how much I love this mix.

thanks in advance

Anyone with any info? The kick hits so hard, and I dont know how to do it. I got the guitar tone down, but the overall production is insane. The breakdowns make me feel like someone is punching me in the gut

Kick 10. Cut 200. Boost 6000 or somewhere up there depending on you're guitars. Add some room, add some attack from a transient designer, sidechain the kick to the low end of the bass. Nothing special and sounds just like it. I think Joey got it sounding that good on that production because it fits so well with everything else. that's some skill.
* I think the power comes from the bass personally