Attempting Chango/Sturgis Styled Mix

dboy1612

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2014
Quick backstory. I'm a big fan of the work done at Chango/Sturgis, it's the Genre I grew up on through my teenage years and now early adult years. Now getting in to tracking and mixing for starters I thought as I know their sounds inside out I'd try to atleast get close to them before turning off in to my own desired sounds as most people would suggest.

I've gone ahead and actually purchased a couple items from Chango's Big Cartel simply cause my skill level wasn't up to par to make things myself or have any of the free impulses/pod farm presets around the internet work. I needed something to learn from, and has been working out so far!

Here's what I'm aiming for at the moment. MMF was done at Chango (for those who don't know).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPi_ifScn0w

And this is what I have so far.

For those who like details here's what I'm working with (providing links too for those who are also coming here to learn. I like helping. ^_^)

RHYTHM GUITAR CHAIN:
-LTD 401-FM (Dual Tracked)
-Chango's PODFarm 'Mr Steal Yo Tone' (closest sound to MMF if not the exact same)
-EQ to make room for the Bass High/Low and Kick High/Low. Did zero change of the sound on the guitars in mix and solo'd, but let those instruments though nicely.
-Waves C6, crunch down to thresholds around 45, then gained back up to match input. Hoping to assist in getting that 'punch' sound.
-Waves CLA-3A Stereo, added a bit of transients.

LEAD GUITAR CHAIN:
-LTD 401-FM
-Chango's Rock Leads Podfarm Preset

BASS CHAIN:
-Zombass 4
-Chango's InsaneBass podfarm preset
-EQ to let Kick through. Didn't affect bass in solo or mix.

DRUM CHAIN:
-Chango Processed MMF Drum Kit (exact same used in the song). Room mics mixed in.
-Nothing else, as it's processed already, but willing to go in and change stuff up if needed.

BELLS CHAIN:
-NI FM8 Bells
-EQ on Top End.

VIOLINS/CHELLO CHAIN:
-NI Session Strings Pro
-EQ raised Violins Top End, raised Chell's High-Mid.
-Sends to Reverb Buss, Valhallah Vintage on Rich Chamber preset and then mixed in.

MASTER BUS CHAIN (Old, see below):
-Waves TR Meter
-The Glue
-Waves L1 Limiter (make it a bit louder while mixing)
Kenny Gioia at Groove 3 suggested mixing in to compressors (for this kind of music atleast), so I thought I'd give it a shot and it's sounding pretty good.

That about wraps it up. I feel so far the mix is missing that Guitar "punch", even brightness possibly that tracks like MMF have. Also I'm not sure how to "tighten up" the track like you'd here from other bands in this genre. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

So I've come back to this track hoping to get some more improvement out of it with following the suggestions made here and learning a few new things. Four big changes were I threw a Waves NLS Buss on the Guitars as I liked the sound that came with it. Second I completely recorded the guitars to to be more timed and in a sense more "midi like". Third I added some glitches (and such) here and there that I like, but not completely sure on just yet. And last, I attempted mastering the track hoping maybe the sound I was looking for lays in that area (again, I'm still new at a lot of this.).

Master Bus Chain has the following (I can supply pictures of each if needed, just ask!):
-The Glue
-Ozone 5 Exciter
-Waves NLS Buss Stereo
-Waves J37 Stereo (Tape)
-Ozone 5 Imager
-T-Racks Clipper
-Ozone 5 Maximizer

To add some images, this is what my TR Meter over all looks like. Nice and loud, phase full (like I've seen in other songs). Peaks are first worried me but then noticed all other songs seem to do the same thing.
28mcpc7.png

And last of course, the track:

Would anyone have any other improvements for this? Maybe something to kinda push the guitars more to the side? (If that makes sense) Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like something you might have gotten without all the Chango specific stuff/presets, meaning just regular old Slate and amp sims etc.

Sounds like something you might have gotten without all the Chango specific stuff/presets, meaning just regular old Slate and amp sims etc.

I felt the same. Chango is selling whats already out there for so long.
My tip: To get this genre feeling, first of all, edit the hell out of all instruments, including guitar. Make them so almost feel like midi. Quadtracked.

I felt the same. Chango is selling whats already out there for so long.
My tip: To get this genre feeling, first of all, edit the hell out of all instruments, including guitar. Make them so almost feel like midi. Quadtracked.

What do you mean about making them sound like midi? Bit lost there.

So I've come back to this track hoping to get some more improvement out of it with following the suggestions made here and learning a few new things. Four big changes were I threw a Waves NLS Buss on the Guitars as I liked the sound that came with it. Second I completely recorded the guitars to to be more timed and in a sense more "midi like". Third I added some glitches (and such) here and there that I like, but not completely sure on just yet. And last, I attempted mastering the track hoping maybe the sound I was looking for lays in that area (again, I'm still new at a lot of this.).

Master Bus Chain has the following (I can supply pictures of each if needed, just ask!):
-The Glue
-Ozone 5 Exciter
-Waves NLS Buss Stereo
-Waves J37 Stereo (Tape)
-Ozone 5 Imager
-T-Racks Clipper
-Ozone 5 Maximizer

To add some images, this is what my TR Meter over all looks like. Nice and loud, phase full (like I've seen in other songs). Peaks are first worried me but then noticed all other songs seem to do the same thing.
28mcpc7.png

And last of course, the track:

Would anyone have any other improvements for this? Maybe something to kinda push the guitars more to the side? (If that makes sense) Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand how you could mix the track, REMIX it a month later and still not realize that the cymbals are mono.

I dont understand how you could mix the track, REMIX it a month later and still not realize that the cymbals are mono.

From what I had learnt when using Sampled drums everything comes in as Mono, you pan it the way you like, then throw it all in to a Stereo Drum Buss. Is there a better way to go about it?

dboy1612, in most of the libs cymbals are recorded as a stereo sample using the overhead microphones. And this is a common practice for live drums as well.

dboy1612, in most of the libs cymbals are recorded as a stereo sample using the overhead microphones. And this is a common practice for live drums as well.
Fair enough, thanks! I'll check my Kontakt setup tonight and switch that around!
Sounds like not Chango .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY4GeLxLCZo This one sounds like Chango =)

You're right that's much closer to what I want, but I'm stuck on how to achieve it?