Attention Prog fans!

I love all ranges of prog from Spock's Beard and Transatlantic to Pain of Salvation and Dream Theater.

I have heard a few samples of the new SB disc but don't want to totally spoil it for when I get it. Especially as it's a concept album and needs to be heard all together IMO.

Originally posted by metropolis2k X
I love all ranges of prog from Spock's Beard and Transatlantic to Pain of Salvation and Dream Theater.

I'm a bit of a junky myself, I border on refusing to dislike a band simply if they're prog, if I hear influences from Pink Floyd or Yes I can't help but like it.

Originally posted by Soul4Raziel
I'm a bit of a junky myself, I border on refusing to dislike a band simply if they're prog, if I hear influences from Pink Floyd or Yes I can't help but like it.

I have a bit of the same problem. But I draw the line at the highly derivative and emotionally numb stylings of Spock's Bored.

I couldn't wait for the release. Had to download. MY GOD!!!!!!!!! 'Snow' raises the bar, folks! It's as much a genuine experience as it is a musical trip. 2 hours that flow as one song that just develops throughout that time. Instant classic. Even if you haven't been into SB's material before, you owe it to yourself to hear this album. All their albums past, if you put them together, can't hold a candle to this. Wow!

I've seen them play live when they supported Dream Theater on the Metropolis 2000 tour and musically, they bored the pants off me. They goof around on stage so they're quite funny to watch, but that's it for me.
I don't mind some Transatlantic (All Of The Above is ok), but mainly for Portnoy's performance.

They don't seem so progressive to me, they write long old sounding songs :D

Originally posted by Demonspell

I have a bit of the same problem. But I draw the line at the highly derivative and emotionally numb stylings of Spock's Bored.

I'll admit they're not up to par with say Dream Theater, but I'd be interested in hearing why you consider them "emotionally numb." I enjoy Morse as a composer, although ironically my favorite work of his is on Transatlantic. D'oh! :lol: