Attention Supporters of the MN Metal and Movie Scenes and Friends of SwordLord...

Some people wonder why I have no tolerance for crime. Things like this can devastate peoples livelihoods. On the bright side, at least they didn't try to cover their tracks with a match.
Wishing a speedy recovery for your business SwordLord.

Feeling really bad about the news about the theater. Hoping everything gets back to normal very soon. Very sad to see this happen to one of the nicest person I know.

Greetings to all,

I just wanted to say again how much I really appreciate all of the well-wishes and kind words on this forum and for those of you who have chosen to contact me privately. Your words have brightened many a gloomy day - you cannot know how much.

I thought I would post a brief update for those who may be interested.

1. I received my first check from the insurance company this weekend! While it only covers a small portion of the damages, at least it's a start and it shows that they are taking this seriously which I appreciate after having paid every premium on time for the last 10 years!

SIDE NOTE: The break-in occurred on 4/27/2008. Four days later marked the 10 year anniversary of me taking over the Plaza! (5/01/1998 - 5/01/2008) Happy Anniversary to me! :zombie:

2. The 14-year old juvenile who was taken into custody plead guilty to First Degree Criminal Damage of Property and has been ordered to pay restitution. I seriously doubt I will collect a single dime from him, but at least justice has been served. I have been told that he gave up the name of the second individual and police are investigating this new lead. It sure would be nice if they catch the second guy because this kid's family should not have to bear the full responsibility of this on their own.

3. The theatre itself is up and running and we are doing fine. The new screen has been ordered, the new carpet should be by next week and our wall should be painted and fixed by next week also.

Again, thank you to everyone who has taken an interest in this incident. It only further reinforces the fact that this community really is a family and I am so grateful for the family's support!

Kindly to all,
Nathan

Good to hear Nathan.

I am assuming that the insurance company is figuring out if they want to pay you now.. or go after the kid's family first to get the money to pay you...

I'm late to this....but I'm really sorry to hear about this. I live in St. Paul and have been to Nathan's shows. A real stand-up dude and I hope justice is served in some way, shape or form when all is said and done.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to say thank you to each and every one of you who approached me at ProgPower 9 to ask about my theatre. That really meant a lot to me and it reminds me just how much of a family we all really are.

I suddenly realized that I had neglected to follow up on the rest of the story, so for those who are interested, here it is:

1. The Vandals

Due to security footage from a video camera across the street, police were able to determine that there were two vandals who inflicted damage at the theatre. One of them was apprehended within 8 hours of the crime. He never rolled on his friend, so the other vandal remains at large.

2. The Theatre

We closed the theatre for four days in May to do renovation and reconstruction. I had the walls painted, the carpet replaced and the lobby got a facelift. I know I've got some pictures around here somewhere, I'll try and get to them.

The theatre looks better than ever. At least the vandals targeted a few areas that needed replacing. We have now been able to do a few things that we really needed to do with the help of some insurance money.

3. The Insurance

My insurance company played ball better than I thought they would. They covered a vast majority of my expenses. Of course a few things ended up being out of pocket but that was to be expected.

The crappy thing is that I really got shafted by the renovation outfit that arrived on-scene after the incident happened. Despite the fact that myself and 7 other people cleaned up the theatre for nearly 7 hours EACH, I was given a bill for two days worth of cleaning that totaled ... $21,000! I am not kidding. That was for seat cleaning and carpets. That did not include any of the structural damage being repaired or anything (carpet, etc.) being replaced. Let me tell you something, I am obviously in the wrong business! I should go clean some carpets and seats, pocket $100,000 and take the rest of the year off! So needless to say, my attorney is going over their invoices and there may be some legal action there.

All in all though, this was not nearly as painful as I thought it would be! I received a huge outpouring of support from the community, the media and friends and acquaintances such as all of you. And as they say, that which doesn't destroy you only makes you stronger!

Nathan

The kids should be skinned, their hides fashioned together to make a shawl or cape of sorts for Nathan to sport about the theater

..if only it were the 10th century :D

Always remember there's a lot of empty space between Minnieapolis & where I'm at, I'm always willing to help bury vandal's body parts for you!

Glad everything turned out ok......

It's great to hear you're theater is back on it's feet. I would've asked you at PP had I remembered about this thread. Congrats on 10 years and here's to 10 more!

I hadn't run across this thread before, but I am glad things are moving forward. People who don;t respect the property of others is one of my single biggest pet peeves. This is that on a grand scale.

Hmm, the perp didn't roll on his accomplice?

Ve haf ways of makink him talk!

"Gentlemen, clamp his head and put the headphones on him, Robot Chicken-style. This is one perp who's gonna sing like a canary after 6 solid hours....of Rhapsody of Fire!" :lol:

Hmm, the perp didn't roll on his accomplice?

Ve haf ways of makink him talk!

"Gentlemen, clamp his head and put the headphones on him, Robot Chicken-style. This is one perp who's gonna sing like a canary after 6 solid hours....of Rhapsody of Fire!" :lol:
Nah, how about 6 hours of Robert Goulet? Christ, I'd talk in 45 seconds. :headbang:

Good to see all is going well, Nathan. Here's to another decade. :kickass:

Twenty one GRAND? To clean seats???? Wow. I mean, wooooow.

Damn Nathan, feels like when I got a sofa "steam cleaned", yet nowhere near the rage you musta felt! There was nothing steamy about it! When I called them, he said, "Yeah we got a really good chemical that takes out nicotine stains." Gets there, does his work, and I saw NO change. None at all. Over the phone, "Yeah, should be around $50. What's that? Promotional coupon? The one from the paper? Sure! Then it's $35." He does the work, "That'll be $80." WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT ABOUT THIS COUPON? "I don't need that." ???

I was ready to slap the fucker like a ho that ain't bringin my money!

I've learned from that example, that if you want a job done right, without getting ripped off, just do it yourself.

Nathan, like some others, I've just now ran across this thread. I had no idea or I would've asked you about it at the festival. With that said, I'm glad that your theater is back in full operation!

As for the vandals, I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around. There should be no tolerance for this sort of behavior in our system, but sadly there is. I truly hope they get what they deserve.

~Brian~

WOW, thanks everyone for your responses! I tried to respond to as many as I could …

What happened to the arrested vandal?

He is a minor, so he has been ordered by the court to pay restitution. Luckily he entered a guilty plea, so I don’t have to go to court. But being that he has no job and no assets, I’m sure I’ll never see a dime.

RiffDaemon said:
The kids should be skinned, their hides fashioned together to make a shawl or cape of sorts for Nathan to sport about the theater

..if only it were the 10th century

Sounds like a deleted scene from Silence of the Lambs! :D

J-Dubya 777 said:
Always remember there's a lot of empty space between Minnieapolis & where I'm at, I'm always willing to help bury vandal's body parts for you!

If I haven’t seen any restitution funds by the end of the year, you will hear from me! :D

nailz said:
It's great to hear you're theater is back on it's feet. I would've asked you at PP had I remembered about this thread. Congrats on 10 years and here's to 10 more!

Thanks! No worries, many other exciting things going on at PP rather than my calamities! Thanks for the well-wishes!

Bryan316 said:
I've learned from that example, that if you want a job done right, without getting ripped off, just do it yourself.

Believe me, if there was any way we could have done it, I would have. I can tell you what company I won’t EVER use again …

edgeofthorns said:
Nathan, like some others, I've just now ran across this thread. I had no idea or I would've asked you about it at the festival. With that said, I'm glad that your theater is back in full operation!

As for the vandals, I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around. There should be no tolerance for this sort of behavior in our system, but sadly there is. I truly hope they get what they deserve.

Thank you! It was so great meeting you and talking to you this year, I really enjoyed myself. I appreciate the well-wishes and thanks for your kind words. As I also believe in karma, I’m sure that eventually they will get what they deserve. As for me, the theatre is back up and running and that’s my primary concern!