attn: Chromelife

Firedwarf

sock puppet
Oct 14, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I stopped by my FYE today (was in the area) and I asked the lady to look up Choirs of the Eye on the computer thing, and she said she had no listing for it.

Do I keep bugging them or what? I dunno how to handle these situations.

hmmm... it should be there. What prolly happened was that she put Choirs of the Eye as the name of the band... and thus said that they did not have it in the computer. But after talking to my boss I have found a better solution.. if you tell me what area the store is in (city and state and such), and like.. the mall it is in.. he can actually order the cd to your store (or so he says.) That way it would prolly be there on release day!

Firedwarf said:
Also it's possible that the lady just told me that so I'd go away because they were about 20 seconds from closing.

This is highly likely. Also sometimes if its not in stock people say it is not in the system. Cause they suck.

ChromeLife said:
hmmm... it should be there. What prolly happened was that she put Choirs of the Eye as the name of the band... and thus said that they did not have it in the computer. But after talking to my boss I have found a better solution.. if you tell me what area the store is in (city and state and such), and like.. the mall it is in.. he can actually order the cd to your store (or so he says.) That way it would prolly be there on release day!
Ooh okay. I'll call them tomorrow and see if it was just a communication ..er..error.. If not, I'll give you the name of the store and mall and city and blah blah and you'll be my best friend.

Killah... I dont quite understand how he can order to other stores... but he is in good with the order type ppl.. because we bugged them a shit ton about metal stuff... and they hated us... but then our sales in that area went like 5 times higher in a year... so now they love us :)

ChromeLife said:
Killah... I dont quite understand how he can order to other stores... but he is in good with the order type ppl.. because we bugged them a shit ton about metal stuff... and they hated us... but then our sales in that area went like 5 times higher in a year... so now they love us :)
Okay. Excellent. Thanks a lot!

xfer said:
'course, chain music stores making money selling the record is good, in a way, for both tzadik and kayo dot, right?

Sure, but a lot of the money is going to a huge chain that doesn't need it. Instead, all that extra money could be going to a smaller place like Tzadik or the band who actually need all the money they can get.

We still pay Tzadik, who still pays the band. Im not sure if Kayo Dot is being hurt by buying it from us... You are hurting small record stores in the area who cant afford to hold the volume we have... but I cant say much... they employ me, and without the money they pay me I wouldnt be buying the cd... (Though it would be nicer to get payed more :p )

i think buying it directly from the band or tzadik would be best, but it's not bad if you go ahead and buy it from a bigger chain. it's not like you caved and went to McDonald's or something equally evil.

Yeah actually in my opinion buying from a store or from Tzadik is better than buying it from us directly, because the more sales these parties see, the more likely it is that we'll get releases/budgets/tour support/etc. in the future.

This is also a good time to mention the filesharing issue - I've heard that a lot of people's justification for not buying the CD is because bands make most of their money off touring and not off actual CD sales. This is pretty much bullshit, mostly because the more albums you sell, the more in favor of your label you are, and the more likely it is for them to release more of your records and give you bigger recording budgets and all that type of thing.

In short, buying from retail stores is good.