attn: Chromelife

FuSoYa said:
Yeah actually in my opinion buying from a store or from Tzadik is better than buying it from us directly, because the more sales these parties see, the more likely it is that we'll get releases/budgets/tour support/etc. in the future.

This is also a good time to mention the filesharing issue - I've heard that a lot of people's justification for not buying the CD is because bands make most of their money off touring and not off actual CD sales. This is pretty much bullshit, mostly because the more albums you sell, the more in favor of your label you are, and the more likely it is for them to release more of your records and give you bigger recording budgets and all that type of thing.

In short, buying from retail stores is good.
I tend to think that only about large major label bands. underground bands need all the support they can get, and even a few bucks per CD is good, but for popular bands that will be played on TV and radio often (i.e. Metallica) they don't need the money or attention from album sales. Names like Metallica will sell anthing, as will the MTV hype (although I don't mean to be stereotypical). This idea got out with the huge Napster vs. Labels/Bands war, and it probably applies to established acts, as the name/image will often sell more than the music, their music careers aren't like the underground bands. The idea that bands make most of their money from tours is overapplied. The labels may get a chunk of the profit from albums and merchandise, but it's not necessary to a band that sells a hundred thousand CD's, never mind millions. Anyone that manages to acheive a status like that will make a living from their music fairly easily. For anyone to sell a million copies of a record takes a high profile and big image, often already inflated by the record company. Undderground bands work hard on their music and use that as the main factor to push their CD sales, not counting on much if any promo from their label. Integrity never got a band to the top, and once you're well on the way there, you already have a strong image and label backing. The CD sales won't effect you much, since you're far from ordinary with your concert earnings and already have the label backing. To get started on the way there, you need the initial sales to get your label/promoters attention as having a following that they can profit of. None of the underground bands have strong image and high profile because once they have that, their label would have helped them acheive it, and they would be breaking out and becoming more mainstream.
Since I'm just ranting now and don't seem to be going anywhere, I'll stop now and just say:

IF YOU DON'T BUY 'CHOIRS OF THE EYE', THEN YOU'RE A CORPORATE ZOMBIE!

So!

I called FYE just now (a different, closer-to-home FYE than the one from yesterday) and the lady said "nope, I don't have a listing for it." I said I had a friend who worked at an FYE in Jackson and that he said they'd be getting the CD in on the 21st. She said "no..I dunno how he would know that. I don't have a listing for it. Sorry."

I'm thinking that that the "ordering to my mall" idea might be the best one. What do you think?

Yeah, this is what happened.

At around 7 I looked up Kayo Dot on the FYE website, and my friend had to go to the mall to pick up her check so she said she'd take me to go have a talk with the FYE people.

I went in and there was another girl working. She actually found it on the computer (and also asked me if it was a jazz CD!) but told me she can't order it for me unless there's..a reserve order or something? She said something like that. Any ideas, Chromelife? I also filled out an application for a job there.

Im not sure what they are doing, but you should prolly just give me the store location and stuff, and let us order it to there. And cool about workin there! My store is a fun place to work, I'm sure they are all different though.

Steve420 said:
$14?

most CD's at FYE are $19+ even if it's just an EP (In Flames - Trigger was $19 there and $5.50 at The End)

I think we have 3 or 4 total cds in the metal section that are 19.99... most metal is 15-17.99 ... its still not great, but its much better than 19.99. As for the trigger ep... we have it for 9.99 I think... we may have sale priced that ourselves though (not supposed to do that, but we take care of metal folk :) )

Baaaad news... he called the guy yesterday, and we cant do it because in order to get the disc on release date you have to put in an order for 5 of them. We dont mind doing this... but the company really hates it (we get a bunch of shit,) but we cant order 5 cds to another store. I am so sorry duders, but if your gonna get it at fye the best you can do is go in on release date and order it, cause after release they we be able to order single cds... so so so sorry!

Also unless I am buggering retarded, the cd is distroed through Koch... which is a huge ass distro. Opeth is distroed by them ;) , and so are some hip hop artists.