ATTN JayKeeley

I don't expect anyone to "jump for joy". But is it really impossible to say ANYTHING positive whatsoever about the campaign? Must the negative opinions be 100% non-stop all the time? I mean, for one lousy stinking day, a little positivity would be nice. Iran is starting to moderate their Nuclear stance, gas prices have come down today and a major Muslim Extremist Operational Leader has been executed. A good day, even in the face of all the problems surrounding the war.

Zod - my comments weren't squarely directed at Liz, they were more in general than anything else.

EDIT - sorry for the threadjack Liz.

Jason

Dark One said:
I don't expect anyone to "jump for joy". But is it really impossible to say ANYTHING positive whatsoever about the campaign? Must the negative opinions be 100% non-stop all the time?
considering my infamous pessimism amongst my friends and family? :loco:

didn't mean to be hostile :)

Doesn't anyone understand that killing a terrorist "leader" doesn't do shit? Has nobody seen The Siege?!?! :loco:

For an easy comparison, think of it like if someone capped Bush. Would all of a sudden the US gov't fall part? No.

there are probably a lot of propaganda benefits that'll come out of this but as far as tactical advantages, like the first thing they teach you in terrorist school is to have your organization made up of independent cells that can operate no matter what happens to the top guys, so i doubt you'll see much of a change over there

EDIT - ya

NADatar said:
Doesn't anyone understand that killing a terrorist "leader" doesn't do shit? Has nobody seen The Siege?!?! :loco:

For an easy comparison, think of it like if someone capped Bush. Would all of a sudden the US gov't fall part? No.

Quote from General Casey - "A tremendous amount of information and intelligence was collected from the raids and is presently being exploited and utilized for further use. I mean, it was a treasure trove; no question."

The problem with stuff like this is the effect on morale it may cause. It's possible that other capital-T Terrists will run and hide, but it's more likely that they'll just get pissed off and up the schedule for Plan B: Nuke Walmart.

Dark One said:
Quote from General Casey - "A tremendous amount of information and intelligence was collected from the raids and is presently being exploited and utilized for further use. I mean, it was a treasure trove; no question."
That's obviously something else entirely. Also it's probably all bullplop. [/pinko] :loco:

They already have a figurehead to keep them fighting, his name is Uncle Sam. America pisses me off and I dislike a lot about it, but these people truly HATE this place and are willing to die for their cause. I mean might as well, since US soliders invaded their land and are going to kill them anyhow.

:lol:

I just don't see this as changing anything in a positive direction for the War on Terr-r. Then again the only positive solution I see for said war is to end it entirely because it was flawed from the getgo, but maybe that's just me.

To win the war on terror we basically need to purge the arab lands(and everywhere else that terrorists come from). Not going to happen. So we l0se before we start.

Let me let you in on a little secret, okay: everyone is looking for you. Both sides - above and below. The orders are to terminate you on sight.

Why?

You're pissing people off, that's why! Word on the grapevine is that God's pissed off at your presumption, and I know Lucifer's pissed because you assholes might just succeed where he's failed so many times, making him look bad.

Yet people ask why I love that movie. :rolleyes: :Smug: :stick-up-butt: :wet-bandaid:

Dark One said:
But is it really impossible to say ANYTHING positive whatsoever about the campaign? Must the negative opinions be 100% non-stop all the time? I mean, for one lousy stinking day, a little positivity would be nice.
While I see your point, and can understand where you're coming from, it's hard to be positive, even for a second, about this war. For starters, I think we can all agree, we shouldn't be there. Certainly not for the reasons we gave (WMDs, al-Queda connection). Second, you and I, and every American alive, will be paying for this war for the rest of our lives. The whole planet now hates us. But more importantly, there are 2,489 American soldiers dead. There are somewhere between 38,000 and 42,000 innocent Iraqi civilians dead. And obviously, both numbers are steadily climbing. And as I said earlier, as the situation in Haditha snowballs, the violence will only escalate.

Dark One said:
Iran is starting to moderate their Nuclear stance, gas prices have come down today and a major Muslim Extremist Operational Leader has been executed. A good day, even in the face of all the problems surrounding the war.
The argument can actually be made, that the war in Iraq has weakened, not strengthened, our bargaining position with Iran. Both they and we recognize, we lack the troops to even consider going into Iran. So any sabre rattling we do, is merely that. To bring up the price of gas, as some sort of positive, in relation to the war, is a little crazy. Gas was $1.32 a gallon in 2002, and is averaging $2.68 through 2006. As for Zarqawi, he was merely fighting for what he believes in. Obviously, we don't agree with him or his methods, but we've killed way more innocent people than Zarqawi or Bin Laden. As I heard it recently said, war is terrorism with a bigger budget.

Dark One said:
Zod - my comments weren't squarely directed at Liz, they were more in general than anything else.
No problem... you know I respect your opinion.

Zod

NADatar said:
Let me let you in on a little secret, okay: everyone is looking for you. Both sides - above and below. The orders are to terminate you on sight.

Why?

You're pissing people off, that's why! Word on the grapevine is that God's pissed off at your presumption, and I know Lucifer's pissed because you assholes might just succeed where he's failed so many times, making him look bad.

Yet people ask why I love that movie. :rolleyes: :Smug: :stick-up-butt: :wet-bandaid:

which movie?

General Zod said:
While I see your point, and can understand where you're coming from, it's hard to be positive, even for a second, about this war. For starters, I think we can all agree, we shouldn't be there. Certainly not for the reasons we gave (WMDs, al-Queda connection).

I wholeheartedly disagree with the argument that we shouldn't be there - but at the same time I certainly understand the disillusionment based on the justifications for the war to begin with. I absolutely do not want to dwell on this particular point as it's an endless debate.

General Zod said:
Second, you and I, and every American alive, will be paying for this war for the rest of our lives.

Not if the ultimate effect is a free, democratic and stable Iraq. Granted it's been an extremely difficult war - but events like today can indeed be a spark in the right direction. Believe me though, I know that it's still a clusterfuck in every sense of the word.

General Zod said:
The whole planet now hates us.

A harsh generalization. I disagree, but am also realistic enough to acknowledge the vast amount of anti-American sentiment around the world. Much of it understandable, some of it force fed to people who do not have access to a free exchange of information.

General Zod said:
But more importantly, there are 2,489 American soldiers dead There are somewhere between 38,000 and 42,000 innocent Iraqi civilians dead. And obviously, both numbers are steadily climbing. And as I said earlier, as the situation in Haditha snowballs, the violence will only escalate.

If you believe in what the troops are accomplishing you have to take the bad with the good. I'm of the belief that thousands more Iraqi lives can be saved in the future if the mission in Iraq is accomplished. Again, I'm under no illusion and acknowledge how difficult that's going to be.

General Zod said:
The argument can actually be made, that the war in Iraq has weakened, not strengthened, our bargaining position with Iran. Both they and we recognize, we lack the troops to even consider going into Iran. So any sabre rattling we do, is merely that.

But we're doing much more than "sabre rattling". We're working with the UN, acknowledging that face to face talks with Iran are possible, and crippling a terror network in Iraq that (both you and I know) has received plenty of support from Iran, who do not want a democratic Iraq as it will greatly weaken their position of strength.

Another important point - Zarqawi has come out strong against the Shiite Muslims in Iraq recently in an effort to continue the chaos and try to bring about a formal Civil War. This strategy has angered enough Sunni Muslims (who see the U.S. as the real infidels) to actually become disinfranchised with his tactics, enough so that some of them actually ratted him out to Iraqi and Jordanian authorities, who helped the U.S. take him down. How does this relate to the Iran situation? The more united Iraq becomes, the less influence Iran will have - a situation that will back them into a corner more than ever. I personally see Iran moderating their position more and more in the future.

General Zod said:
To bring up the price of gas, as some sort of positive, in relation to the war, is a little crazy. Gas was $1.32 a gallon in 2002, and is averaging $2.68 through 2006.

Certainly a valid point - however, I'm taking the half glass full approach in that as far as right now is concerned, if gas costs less today than it did yesterday, I'm happy in the short term. In addition, it's been stated that the Iraqi oil pipeline network is safer today than it was yesterday, as Zarqawi and his network of thugs have been responsible for much of the fires set to the network in the past few years. A more stable pipeline network in Iraq will help ease the market fears. We're not talking $1.32 a gallon, but it's a start.

General Zod said:
As for Zarqawi, he was merely fighting for what he believes in. Obviously, we don't agree with him or his methods, but we've killed way more innocent people than Zarqawi or Bin Laden. As I heard it recently said, war is terrorism with a bigger budget.

Of course you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I can't think of Zarqawi as someone "merely" fighting for what he believed in. To me, he didn't care who he killed as long as it kept enough fear in people to follow him. His methods and tactics made him a subhuman animal and in the end even some of his strongest supporters turned on him.

General Zod said:
No problem... you know I respect your opinion.

And I of course, respect yours as well. I only wish there were a way to work towards resolving all the issues facing the world in a way that unites us all. I seriously hate how polarized we've all become. At the end of the day, you, me, JK, Lizard, cthulufhagn, NAD and everyone else can at least celebrate what we do have in common by sharing a few drinks over some great music, comparing notes on the hot waitress in the process.

Concentrating on the little things that we do have in common, is indeed a step in the right direction.

Jason