audio recording issues

Zehm

Aug 3, 2008
North Carolina
I'm trying to do some very basic recording on my laptop, and while the quality is pretty good, I'm having one major problem. there is about a one second delay between what I play and when it gets recorded. I'm googleing it right now and so far have found that it's called latency, but not much about how to rectify the situation. most walkthroughs I've found are 3-4 years old. does anyone know how to fix this?

Latency is a total bitch, bro. It's also one of those things that could be caused by absolutely anything, from a shitty recording program or computer to faulty wiring. I'd recommend you check every inch of your setup - try using different cables for example - and see if that fixes it.

That being said, when we re-recorded The Crucified Priest we had some latency issues that literally resolved themselves overnight.

Depends a lot on what DAW you're using as well. Sometimes they have a lot of background processes running. When I have pro tools running, I make sure that nothing else is running except my m-audio driver. If you're using pro tools, I'd love to help you mix your music. Get at me.