Audio seems to be limited on new guitar. Need help!

shapisb

Nov 25, 2011
Hey guys, I recently bought a Schecter Hellraiser 7 String on craigslist. Just tried recording it in logic today and noticed that the recorded audio is all boxy looking. As if it is limited/restricted/compressed. Not sure how to describe it. Check the image. I have a feeling this will be largely affecting the audio but I can't tell how so just yet, as it is a new guitar and was recorded with crazy bad latency.

Any tips or knowledge would be much appreciated.

I've tried lower input volume on everything and still won't stop clipping. What should I do?

I'd try the 18 volt mod, any difference between the pickups? could be something internal....

9V-EMGs always clip the signal a little, depending ond pickup-height / picking-force. but this looks like a little to much.
have you replaced the battery to a new one? because if the battery is dying, you are running-out of headroom (=clipping)

cheers!

Have you made sure it isn't the fast track? Record a bass or a different guitar then see if it's the same thing.

I remember that there has been similar threads about clipped di's from active pups around here. Can't remember if the issues were solved though. Worth a shot searching for at least.