Audiobiography: Anthrax

Joecephus

Mar 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
www. joecephus.com
From Google Play:

Formed in '81 on the streets of New York, Anthrax, along with thrash icons Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer, married punk speed with metal precision and forged a new subgenre. Fast-forward ten albums, multiple lineup changes and 30 years later, and the band are not only touring on a successful return-to-form (both sonically and as a squad) on 2011's Worship Music with famed frontman Joey Belladonna back at the helm, but they've also managed to headline the Jagermeister Stage at this summer's Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival. That's where Google Play caught up with Belladonna and iconic axeman and lyricist Scott Ian to talk about where it really took off for them as a band: on 1987's Among the Living.

Last edited by a moderator:
There we have it guys!!
2 most important ANTHRAX album ever!!
1- ATL
2- WM

Scott being insightful, while Joey..hmm..:guh:

I can agree to that for the most part. It def was NOT Stomp or Vol. 8 lol :lol:

At least he mentioned 2 albums, it would be insanely exaggerated if Scott would go on saying that every single song on every single album is the greatest!!

Stomp got like 2-3 good songs (BARE is not one of em') while Vol 8, is a diff story, a better album than Stomp but with 2-3 not so good songs. Disagree?? Fine with me.

At least he mentioned 2 albums, it would be insanely exaggerated if Scott would go on saying that every single song on every single album is the greatest!!

Stomp got like 2-3 good songs (BARE is not one of em') while Vol 8, is a diff story, a better album than Stomp but with 2-3 not so good songs. Disagree?? Fine with me.

Yeah. Bare is horrible. So is Safe Home acoustic on the b-sides of WCFYA.

I personally love Inside Out and thought that was one of their coolest videos. Also John just destroys on Catharsis, great vocal performance I wish my voice could do that. Great vocals on Inside Out too the man can belt it out, Anthrax was just destined to be back with Joey and I think that's a great thing. Seen them live 4 times since Joey has been back and it has been surreal each time.

Catharsis is one my favorite Anthrax songs of all time.

The subject matter was always different. A lot of social issues, tributes, reflections, and just expressions of feelings and emotions.

Thanks guys. :)

I never thought much of Catharsis (partly because Vol 8 is my least favorite Anthrax album, I always pretty much only liked Crush), but after reading so much about it here over the years, I've listened to Catharsis much more, and I must admit it's a damn good song!

I personally love Inside Out and thought that was one of their coolest videos. Also John just destroys on Catharsis, great vocal performance I wish my voice could do that. Great vocals on Inside Out too the man can belt it out, Anthrax was just destined to be back with Joey and I think that's a great thing. Seen them live 4 times since Joey has been back and it has been surreal each time.

I agree with you. I'll always love John Bush's work with Anthrax. But Joey brings something, especially live, that totally completes them. Makes them worthy of being in the big four.

I love U2, the Police & Radiohead, but i can't BARE listen to ANTHRAX (my fav band) covering those bands.
During the Bush days, the band were trying to be 'alternative', by playing 'alternative' songs.
They must get back on track, the 70's ep is a start, hope it would sounded good, fresh and fun.
The band should try and play FUNKY TOWN.

I agree with you. I'll always love John Bush's work with Anthrax. But Joey brings something, especially live, that totally completes them. Makes them worthy of being in the big four.
Absolutely. In the last two times I've seen them I've been up front and as gay as it sounds I always get up front for this band and want to be at the barracade, they're MY Beatles and I'm in awe of their presence because of what they've done for me in my youth and this band has made me who I am today. Stupid I know. Hell I've been on this board here 10 years big surprise! This is why I was going to wear a diaper (oh wait was? Actually did during Mayhem but didn't have to use it even after hours of waiting it was so hot didnt have to pee). Every time I have seen them with Joey he has seen my Anthrax shirt and pointed at me and sang with me and made me feel like a part of the family. Will always love John for what he has done but Joey's performance will always make me come back. Sorry guys carry on.

I was too young to drink to worry about that but when I was younger, that was me. I used to be all up front center barricade. I'm still impressed and in awe when I see them but it def used to be way more intense when I was younger in my teens and twenties.

Now I'm the asshole that parties and when Anthrax comes on, I just go nuts in the circle pit. When they play a song I'm not jazzed on, I go to the bar and do a shot.