Audix D6, Kick Mic - Really that good?

AshM

Apr 30, 2009
London, UK
Hey,

A friend of mine recommended this kick and said it was really easy to get "the modern rock sound" using this. Having read up on it quite a bit it seems this is the general opinion, its apparently easy to get a great sound with less effort than normal, and no EQ or compression.

I'm looking for a kick mic that leans towards the clicky modern rock kick sound.

What are people's opinions on this mic and do you suggest any alternatives in the same price range?

Cheers!:)

I prefer the Beyer M88 which is the best kick mic I've used for metal kick sounds. It sounds amazingly tight, then you just have to EQ it a bit then compression and you're done !!
I also have the D6 but I found that it's always hard to get something really usable out of it. Too clicky, I think "pre EQed" mics don't really suit my needs.

Interesting, I've never heard of it, I'll look into it. Does it take a lot to get to know the mic? Would you say its definitely geared more towards heavy rock with more scooped mids?

It's funny, we've been keeping our drummers kick mic'd with a D6 in our rehearsal room. We have a new guitarist and the other night at practice he's all "Where is your drum-module at? That trigger sound is awesome." We all laughed and then told him that it was just the live mic. He was pretty dumbfounded.

I love the D6, but for comparison i've only used a Beta56 and SM57/58s before.

I've actually achieved some very nice results in blanding the D6 with a yamahe subkick. The subkick can be a little much on fast double bass parts, but try it out.

I want to get a D6 for micing drums, but I am more fond of the clicky, yet juicy, somewhat real sounding kick drum sound! Something with a nice click, yet something that thuds real well. The drum sound on "Watershed" is tits!

-Joe