Automating POD X3 Live patch changing using laptop

theguitarfreak

New Metal Member
Dec 14, 2010
Im planning to automate the patch changing of both mine and my band's other guitar player's POD X3 Live. I know this needs to be done by sending midi commands. So here is what i am planning:

I plan to buy a new audio interface (Profire 2626 or Firestudio or Saffire Pro 40) that i will be using live with a laptop. The audio interface will have just 1 midi in/out so how will i connect two of our POD X3s?

After thats done, i will have to send midi commands through the DAW (i use Cubase, Nuendo) at particular sections of the song when i want the two POD X3s to change patches. How is that done?

This is basically what Tesseract does too at their gigs. I am completely new to MIDI.

after having played with Dark tranquillity, I've seen that they are using this method for the synth samples + Niklas and Martin V-amp pro changing patches.

They are using a laptop with audio interface, each V-amp have a midi cable connected through the audio interface. and for that, they use cubase with automation, one layer = one instrument.

You'll need one midi per Pod, but it's just my opinion...

You'll need a MIDI interface like M-Audio Midisport 2x2. This will give you 3 independent MIDI channels including your audio interface. Or you can get 1x1 Midisport and get 2 channels total.

Then you'll have to prepare your track in Cubase and write down some automation with MIDI channels. I use this method in studio for my keyboards with Logic. It works but you need a good setup / system. You'll be fucked up if any dropout occurs. I suggest you to test your setup several times before you go live.

You only need one midi out. You set each amp (on the amp) to a specific channel then send the patch change to that channel. We've got 3 midi systems that get changed live (laptop > m audio fast track ultra) and it has never failed with dozens of shows and a few small tours. It's called a program change

You only need one midi out. You set each amp (on the amp) to a specific channel then send the patch change to that channel. We've got 3 midi systems that get changed live (laptop > m audio fast track ultra) and it has never failed with dozens of shows and a few small tours. It's called a program change

We dont use amps live. We will be going direct. Can you be a little more specific about the signal chain from the two individual guitars to the laptop?

Guitar1 -> POD X3 Live 1 -> ???

Guitar2 -> POD X3 Live 2 -> ???

How will you connect 2 pods to the audio interface if none of them have midi thru option? Is it possible to split midi out and send program change data from different midi channels to 2 pods?

Ok, it's actually easier than it seems.

According to a few forums (I haven't tried it myself yet) midi out from pod x3 live is actually out+thru, so it will echo every program change and control message that goes into MIDI in. Just in case this doesn't happen, I can recommend you to get a MIDI thru box like this one:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.co...quadra-4-output-midi-thru-box/702504000000000

I think there's also a 1-in 2-out that's cheaper. This I have tried, and it works perfect. All you have to do is connect the MIDI out from your interface into the IN on this box, and you will have four exact replicas of the same MIDI signal.

Now, as for recieving MIDI into your POD, if you hold your "OUTPUTS" button you'll go into system, navigate down until you find the MIDI channel selector. This is the MIDI channel that your pod will recieve and understand, so you can actually use the same MIDI channel for both pods, if you want both to do the same; or you can use different MIDI channels for each one to recieve different orders from the pc.

As for the DAW, I wouldn't recommend using Cubase or Nuendo, these are very good softs for recording, but I'd say too heavy for live performances. Ableton Live is a lot more practical and user friendly for these applications. What you want to do in Live is create a MIDI track and set its output MIDI channel so it will match your POD's MIDI recieve channels. This is really not difficult at all, just click "create" and the hit "insert MIDI track". Once you do that, just look on the track where it says "MIDI To", choose your interface and then select your transmitting MIDI channel right below.

Double click on one of the scenes (blank cells with stop buttons on them) of the track. Check the lower left of this new window, you will find three buttons, an "L", a note button and an "E" button. Click on the E one to create an envelope. Then, to the right, the envelope option window should have appeared. You simply select "MIDI Ctrl" on the drop menu, and then select the number of the controller you want to modify. For a list of POD X3 MIDI controls simply google it.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Ok, it's actually easier than it seems.

According to a few forums (I haven't tried it myself yet) midi out from pod x3 live is actually out+thru, so it will echo every program change and control message that goes into MIDI in. Just in case this doesn't happen, I can recommend you to get a MIDI thru box like this one:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.co...quadra-4-output-midi-thru-box/702504000000000

I think there's also a 1-in 2-out that's cheaper. This I have tried, and it works perfect. All you have to do is connect the MIDI out from your interface into the IN on this box, and you will have four exact replicas of the same MIDI signal.

Now, as for recieving MIDI into your POD, if you hold your "OUTPUTS" button you'll go into system, navigate down until you find the MIDI channel selector. This is the MIDI channel that your pod will recieve and understand, so you can actually use the same MIDI channel for both pods, if you want both to do the same; or you can use different MIDI channels for each one to recieve different orders from the pc.

As for the DAW, I wouldn't recommend using Cubase or Nuendo, these are very good softs for recording, but I'd say too heavy for live performances. Ableton Live is a lot more practical and user friendly for these applications. What you want to do in Live is create a MIDI track and set its output MIDI channel so it will match your POD's MIDI recieve channels. This is really not difficult at all, just click "create" and the hit "insert MIDI track". Once you do that, just look on the track where it says "MIDI To", choose your interface and then select your transmitting MIDI channel right below.

Double click on one of the scenes (blank cells with stop buttons on them) of the track. Check the lower left of this new window, you will find three buttons, an "L", a note button and an "E" button. Click on the E one to create an envelope. Then, to the right, the envelope option window should have appeared. You simply select "MIDI Ctrl" on the drop menu, and then select the number of the controller you want to modify. For a list of POD X3 MIDI controls simply google it.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Thanks a lot for such a detailed explanation. This is just what i wanted. I will deifinitely try this out.