Line6 Announces POD Farm - Free for X3 owners

rvs0002

Metal from the Heartland
Jun 28, 2007
Topeka, KS
www.johnnylokkeband.com
Didn't see that anyone had posted this yet, I apologize if they already have.

From the Line6 website:
POD Farm is Line 6's new plug-in software platform that will offer POD tone to any DAW. For use with either a Line 6 hardware interface or iLok dongle, POD Farm can easily be used with all the major software recording platforms (such as, Pro Tools, Ableton, Cubase, Nuendo, Garageband and more) and is available in Mac® AU/RTAS®/VST® and Windows® RTAS®/VST® formats.

Featuring Line 6's must-have collection of legendary guitar tones from the best-selling POD X3 products, POD Farm allows for an inspiring experience for recording guitarists with its powerful but simple workflow, dual-tone functionality and professional, modern look.

POD Farm boasts an intuitive carousel-style interface with a drag-and-drop signal flow that provides a simple work flow for creating the best sounding guitar tracks.

farm01.jpg

When POD Farm is released, it will be available as a free download to everyone who owns the GearBox Plug-in. POD Farm plug-in will also be available for FREE to POD X3, POD X3 Live and POD X3 Pro owners. In addition, existing TonePort, GuitarPort and POD XT owners who do not own the GearBox Plug-in will be able to purchase the POD Farm plug-in as a direct download for $49.99.

Now, POD X3, POD X3 Pro and POD X3 Live products will have the versatility to be used on stage or in any DAW via the plug-in!

http://www.line6.com/support/ann.jspa?annID=192

yeah, I've been wanting to pull the trigger on the plug-in but haven't. Glad I waited as I own an X3. Line6 doesn't usually do free so that surprised me. New Revalver making them rethink their strategy a bit maybe?

Yeah probably the fact that there is more competition (and demand) since they released the original AmpFarm years ago.

I think that and the fact that they have probably realised that people aren't going to keep paying for the same product for years and years. I certainly wouldn't pay anything to go from Gearbox Plugin to PodFarm.

So in essence is it just a replacement for the GearBox Plug-in?

I own an X3 live, but not the GearBox Plug-in, so getting this as a freebie would be cool!

it's amazing that Line6 hasnt released any new modeling tech since the vetta II..

the vetta pretty much established all the models that line 6 has been repackaging for about 4-5 years now

they must not have the money to do any R&D ...I know the main programmers bailed and formed damage control...who now work for peavey...

The good news here is that it works with the crappy interfaces as a dongle still. I didnt want to have to get an ilok to use this. In fact, I probably wouldnt have upgraded at all as gearbox is what it is, and a new skin doesnt excite me. Free upgrade and no ilok has me semi excited about this now. heh.

In the end POD Farm has much more to do with marketing than with music.

They needed to upgrade Gearbox so it could:
- Accept the dual-tone function
- Have a new GUI
- Sell the plugin for those not willing to pay for a Line6 device just to use it as a dongle.

Then they also would like to:
- Use the name "POD" because it has a good brand image
- Use the name "AmpFarm" (their old plugin) that also is pretty famous
- Kill all the other brands in the process (Gearbox, Toneport, AmpFarm, etc)

I´m not surprised that the update is free for Gearbox users, as it has much more to do with how they organize their brands and image than what products they are offering for their consumers. Kind of what they did killing the BassPODxt on the PODx3 upgrade. I wonder what the programmers who did all these amp models have been doing on Line6 offices for the past years. I bet that they are those addicted mofos playing Halo 3 all day long on Live.

I'd love to transfer use from my Guitarport onto an ilok. Does anyone know if this will be possible?

Just as a heads up - I was getting this message when trying to activate the plugin:

Transaction failed.

Reason: (Code 80003023) License key has already been activated.

To authorize, just type refresh in the activate part of Line 6 monkey. Kind of sucks that you can't use it as standalone with a Pod.

You can only activate the software once?

That sucks, my friend/band's guitarist has a PodX3Live and I'll be wanting the software so I can 'reamp' his tracks when mixing but he'll be wanting it well..because he paid for it XD.

now that I tested it, I can clearly say this is worthless shit! the gui is horrible to control in comparison to the old one. several stuff is missing like the mp3-player and metronom-section. as for the plugin version gearbox plugin is easier and takes less cpu power. the only benefit is dual amping, but was also possible with the gearbox plugin.
LINE 6 = EPIC FAIL!

didn't test the ilok stuff though, but hooking up a usb drive eather way ... not much difference here. maybe it's just cool if have to hook up an ilok anyway