Autumn is a'coming!

Aug 18, 2004
Western Mass
www.youtube.com
As the weather vane drops and the nights grow longer, as the crop begins to wither towards harvest, what do you do differently in Autumn, whether it be music choice or anything lifestyle related? (I know that now its time to switch the woods disc though, as the "end of august" has come and gone).

I remember Dave once posting here that September is Type O Negative weather and other doom metal and the like. I'd have to agree with him. That, and Oktoberfest and Pumpkin brews http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/images/smilies/beerbang.gif
:kickass:

I start digging the folk metal when the leaves start falling, and its just about the only time I listen to any doom/death, digging the new Swallow the Sun EP right now, as well as some Draconian, My Dying Bride, etc.

For me, Autumn usualy means old school Black Metal (early Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer, etc...) playing pool, and cheap beer. Towards the end of October, I will dig out my Agalloch records :kickass:

Though I think The Mantle is intended as a winter day album (especially the one song with the snow crunching), its absolutely mind numbing on a super overcast, grey day in the fall, wow. I save black metal for once it starts getting really cold, viking and folk metal helps to warm me up, er, cool me down, for the winter

Though I think The Mantle is intended as a winter day album (especially the one song with the snow crunching), its absolutely mind numbing on a super overcast, grey day in the fall, wow. I save black metal for once it starts getting really cold, viking and folk metal helps to warm me up, er, cool me down, for the winter

I agree that The Mantle is a winter album. To me, Pale Folklore is a perfect late Autumn album.

To me an Agalloch album is great any fucking day. I was listening to "Ashes..." on a bright sunny 25 degree day on the weekend. To me my likes are always changing its really whatever I'm in the mood for on a day-to-day basis. I guess lately this past week I haven't been into black metal as much as usual, but more doom metal or straight up heavy fucking metal or just anything "progressive" and the other day I found myself listening to Bob Dylan and then suddenly wanted to listen to Decapitated.

Joel

One of the greatest (and maybe only) uninterrupted joys of my life has been the habitual enjoyment of 'seasonal listening'. I stand by these habits. As a summary: Spring = Devin Townsend, Summer = Stoner Metal, Fall = Type O Negative, Winter = Black Metal. Fill in the gaps.

+ AGALLOCH's "The Mantle" was released in fall of 2002 (I believe), when I first bought it, so I have always thought of it as a fall album. On a side note, I actually bought that album as my 'wind down CD' after recording "Against the Seasons" (stress). To this day there's something magical when hearing those first two drum beats and the acoustic guitar strumming that follows.

Fall = Doom! As it gets darker outside, the music goes darker as well.
In december I have a habit of listening to Satyricon - The Shadowthrone. I almost never listen to it other wise...

I agree that The Mantle is a winter album. To me, Pale Folklore is a perfect late Autumn album.

I think Pale Folklore is more if a winter album with such tracks as "Dead Winter Days", "Hallways of Enchanted Ebony" and " The Melancholy Spirit", but I can see what you mean with Autumn thing hence, "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline" and "As Embers Dress the Sky" (that title reminds me red falling leaves, as in the ember).