Avantgarde Metal

Torquemada

May 12, 2002
Visit site
Anyone into avantgarde/progressive metal like Solefald, Arcturus, Dodheimsgard, Thorns, Green Carnation, Ulver, Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende.

Recommend bands in the same style.

In The Woods..., Drawn, the last Lux Occulta, Fleuerty, Morgul

Not exactly avantgarde or metal but maybe these may be appealing: Diablerie, Red Harvest, Esoteric, Maschinenzimmer 412, Mental Destruction (they're xtian though :p ), Virus, When (not metal, but still..)

I know what you mean my friend :D

@Astarte: if there is a thing like too-avant-garde I think When would qualify. It's by far the most difficult band to get into that I've ever listened.

Hehe.. When is undescribable, not even avantgarde fits.. the last album is not that hard to get into since it sort of Beatles-que. The older albums though, are great. Svartedauen, The Black Death is beautiful in a dark and eerie way... on the other hand, Psychedelic Wunderbaum is sheer insanity :D

I have one of their albums, "Drowning But Learning", (unfortunately it's very difficult to find this kind of things here) and I can't understand what they were thinking when creating it.

Could u explain what do you mean when u say avantgarde metal?
Just asking because the bands those have been mentioned are so different. For exapmple i would never put Green Carnation and Red Harvest or Thorns in the same `category` / but thats me... ;)
Are the band avantgarde if we can`t categorize them or.. what makes them avantgarde? Don`t misunderstand.. i like all the above mentioned bands and i also call some of them avatgarde:) Just wanna hear your opinions.

...and Oceans and Ram-Zet are also a great avantgarde metal ;) bands.

ps: searching for more bands among my cds...