Axe FX 2 question

userchanged1

Aug 11, 2011
I'm kind of new to this so please bear with me.

At this time, i record from my axe fx 2 into cubase, but not the dry signal. So basically every track already has a fully processed sound recorded into it. Obviously when I want to change settings i have to re-record, which is not really the best way I guess...

Is it possible to record the dry signal and use the axe as 'insert' (as you would do with VSTs) and have the axe shape the sound so that I hear a fully processed mix during playback but the tracks contain raw sound?

I guess it is possible but I'm in over my head with all this new gear.
I have a saffire PRO40 if that matters.

thx

Is it possible to record the dry signal and use the axe as 'insert' (as you would do with VSTs) and have the axe shape the sound so that I hear a fully processed mix during playback but the tracks contain raw sound?

yes, you can do that but logically with single tracks only.

so what would be the best way for me to track guitars using the axe and keep flexibility at a maximum if i want to dial in a tone afterwards?

maybe record in 2 tracks at once, 1 with the axe input and one dry signal input?

How do axe users go about this?

you can record the processed and unprocessed RAW DI signal simultaneously, this is possible directly and within the axe.

thx
i'll have to check that out.

btw great work on the guitar build. I did one a few years back. great learning experience.

grtz

thanks man, hope you can figure out if it works for you. if i can answer any more questions, jsut ask! :)

yeah, the build was really educational, i am planing a second one right now and
i am sure it will turn out great as i have really learned a lot from this! :)

any pics of your build? :)

what you can do is to use the output 2 for di and mono cab signal

what i do is
Output 1: 1x Stereo: Full Sound including Effects like Delay and Reverb
Output 2: 2x Mono
Left side: DI Track
Right Side: Amp Sound in Mono without Post AMP Effects

to make that working you need to place an FX Loop Block into your preset Layout and set the mixer in the FX Loop Block like this:
AxeEdit_FXLoop.jpg

that way i record all tracks into my audiointerface into cubase, for Heavy Rhythmn guitars most likely i will end up using only the Dry Mono tracks, but for Lead Stuff, Cleans etc i also can choose if i´m going for the stereo tracks with effects or the mono tracks and at the effects in the Cubase

I just use a SPDIF cable out from my AxeFX into my saffire pro 40, you have to be recording at 48khz to match the sampling freq in the AxeFX.

This way the dry signal is super clean from any noise.

Here's one pic:
196005_10150124555876602_8128619_n.jpg

It's not perfect but I really like it anyway ;-)

I am setting up a new pc with i7 quadcore x64, 1TB SSD + 128GB SSD, 20GB DDR3, the saffire pro40 and my AXE, so i think I am more than set gearwise. I just found all Win7 drivers yesterday (pc came with win8 which i dislike) and will install cubase and all VST librarys I own today.

Can't wait to start recording! I'll probably have more questions as i go along.
Thx for the help guys.