Axe fx 2 - saffire PRO40

userchanged1

Aug 11, 2011
So my pc is set up and I want to record stuff using the axe but be able to 'dual record' all guitar parts (1x wet and 1x dry) so I can reamp later on if i want to.

This may be a dumb question but which soundcard do I use assign to Reaper?

So what I do now is choose ASIO4ALL as main driver. I enable all 4 axe INPUTS (USB 1 = wet signal and USB 3 = dry signal) and all axe and saffire OUTPUTS.
The mixdown of reaper gets routed to my 'main out' of the saffire into my monitors.

So this way I am able to record both the dry and wet signal and do basically everything I want to do, but I am concerned by the fact that I use some free shareware driver as a main sound device over either the axe or the saffire, which are expensive hardware dedicated devices.

So the question is: does the fact that I use ASIO4ALL as my Reaper sound device have a negative effect on the signal chain, or does it just route my signal from the axe to the saffire, while keeping and using both their soundprocessing capabilities?

I'm just wondering why aren't you using Focusrite's Mixcontrol? At least on my OS it's pretty good and solid.

I am using Mixcontrol obviously to set up routing within the focusrite and I know that my axe fx can record both the dry and wet signal, i actually mentioned it in my first post.

The question I have is which is the best choice sound device is to appoint to my DAW? The axe, the saffire, or asio4all (while having all functionality mentioned in my first post!)

Probably the Saffire's asio driver, but A4all will work too. The only difference between the 2 is in total latency. Depending on how well the stock driver is written, sometimes A4all will give lower latency, but most of the time it's the other way around, as it should be (any manufacturer worth their salt should be able and care enough to write good drivers for their sound cards).

A4ll is just a sort of "generic" asio driver, that works well with most of audio cards that use asio. It will not degrade sound, because it's just a way your card communicate with OS, and since it's asio, it bypasses the Windows software mixer.