Axe FX II Quantum Firmware

Matt-Steele

Aug 29, 2008
New York
www.myspace.com
I don't really have anything to offer to this thread except ......

My band played a show with a band last weekend who used Axe FX Ultra's and HO-LY FUCK did it sound good. I didn't have time to catch up with them after the gig to ask what model "amps" they were using, but it was like a perfect tone to my ears.

the II and II+ are still better than the ultra! Quantum ist great. Much more open than FW19. AxeEdit works fine, but there are some problems with CabLab at the moment. I think that will be fixed soon.

Another Axe FX firmware update, another round of "they've finally nailed it now!!"

it sounds very different compared to 19 imho!
especially on hi gain stuff and heavy palm mutes
i can really FEEL how the low notes breal up into saturation, well it's hard to explain.
in general, the low end seems much more saturated without sounding too muddy and boomy.

There's a difference.

I use a real cab setup (Matrix GT1000FX into Mesa 2x12). Flicking between the new preamp tube models and the old ones there is a difference in how the low end reacts to strong palm mutes, I find it noticeable feel wise at high volume levels.

I have removed dynamic depth from my patches as the newer preamp models don't seem as choked in the low end. I've always enjoyed my Axe FX tones but at stock settings the bass always seemed like it didn't fully develop punch, without advanced tweaks.

It still isn't the same as a real tube amp, probably never will be. People expecting a huge difference are probably disappointed but if the models were already close then how much difference would there be?

I went from FW15 to Quantum (quite a large jump) and it sounds "better" but it's definitely not the life-changing OMG TONEZ people have been saying. I hate updating, and I was stuck on 15 since I was tracking for our album, and the last thing you want to do is fuck with your Axe FX firmware in the middle of a tracking session and throw off your carefully sculpted tones.

I think overall it functions better and they do sound more accurate, but it's mostly hype. I love my Axe and the hard work people at Fractal put in, I just don't hop on the bandwagon that comes with every update.