AXE IS A BEAST!!!!!! What does he use?

Flal

Flal
Oct 2, 2004
Ontario, Canada (eh)
Saw Opeth Last night.......Axe is AMAZING! Clean, powerful....it's tough to tell these days what's real and what's sound replaced, so I was really happy to see him execute everything perfectly last night. He's definitely the best drummer for the bloodbath job.

All dick sucking aside, what does he use? The snare sound on FM is one of the best I've heard so far. Does anyone know it's exact model? And anyone know the drum specs (dw model, wood type, sizes if possible)? Does he use triggers? He's quickly becoming one of my favorite drummers and I'd like to know what he used to get such a good drum sound.

I'm really interested in this as well actually, I'd love to get the sound or a similar sound to Axe, although my guess is that his equipment is rather expensive.

Pretty much all snare-drums out of Fascination Street sound very good, as does everything else from that studio, but particularly it seems that they know how to record and mix drums!

I think the drumsounds of FS are right on the boarder between excellent and too polished/plastic. I happen to know Bogren (studio owner) triggs A LOT, but I'm not sure to what extent triggers have been used on albums like Ghost Reveries, The Great Cold Distance, Watershed and two last Bloodbath (I know NMF only had add. trigged signal for the bassdrum). But still, there are albums from other studios which I know for a fact have 80% triggered sound on snare, toms and kick that sound more acoustic than Ghost Reveries drummingwise. And it doesnt really matter if its trigger or not, it all comes down to how it sounds.

And then a little bit of on-topicness.
Axe is an awsome drummer managing to hold a nice flow eventho being absurdly tight.
I was about to say he's underrated, but I've been seeing more and more appreciation.
Basicly I've been a fan of his drumming since NMF.

Dunno much about his gear, but using DW is new, he used to be a TAMA-man if I remember correctly.

You play drums? For how long?

let's see.....I'm not exactly sure when my piano lessons officially stopped and my drum ones officially started...let's say about 3 1/2 years, ca.

I really like Axe's work too. I hear alot of Opeth fans saying that he isn't as jazzy as Lopez, which I think is partly true, Axe is definately a more rock/metal oriented drummer from what I've heard, but he does that sooo fucking well. I'm often bored by metal drummers because they often only play blastbeats and pretty simple rhythms, but very fast. And speed is something that automatically develops over time, tightness/groove doesn't just "happen", and Axe has it:D

Honestly, if no one knew Lopez was gone, I don't think they'd be able to tell the difference. He's got style! I'm glad to see that other people appreciate him. On FM I think the bass drums are 100% triggered but I was more talking about the snare and toms. They sound acoustic but then again, it could be that there's some side-chaining involved.

Lobster, I know what you mean about the good/plastic threshold. Right now i'm really digging FM, although I found Watershed to be just a little overproduced. Another album with phenomenal sounding drums is the new Darkane. Not overly happy with the music/total production but the drums sounds fantastic.

Thanx guys!

As you noticed it is a diffrent production than UTP since neither me or the guys like to repeat the same productions over and over again. But still I´m quite happy with them both.

Drum specs...hmm...try me!?

Was the snare the same as on UTP? Skins? How much was triggered and how much was acoustic? What pedals does he use? Kit model?

We used 2 snares on TFM, one of them is the same as on UTP. We also used a bit of diffrent tunings and damping on the snare to fit each song the best.

For skins I always use REMO. Ambassador on the snare and mostly emperor on the toms.

For pedals he use DW9000, for TFM we used two kicks and on UTP we used a double-kick pedal.

The kit model is the regular DW series, I think the name is collector or something. Love those drums! Sounds very good acoustic, which always is my main goal to catch and keep in the mix.

The kick is triggered 50/50 and the snare less than that. The toms are pure acoustic.

I´m not AXE or his drum tech but I think I got the most right anyway.

But the sound is in Axe body, he is truly amazing!

Thanks alot! I'm glad to hear that a lot of it was acoustic! He really is something.

lol, I found this =) For all of you on the mellowboat, did axe really play guitar?

Last edited by a moderator: