AxeFX: To digital or not to digital...

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
So I just got my AxeFX a little while ago and still getting my head around all the different shit piled in to this thing! My goal at the moment is to integrate it in to my little studio setup, which means being able to record a DI as well as a dirty monitored track. I am tempted to run SPDIF but the 48k only option is troubling me. My question: is 48k SPDIF digital really worth bypassing the DA converters, running back in to my FF400 to be converted back, or is it just going to create more trouble after the final mix/master when I gotta chop it down to 44.1? And not to mention the headache of other stuff that's already in 44.1 not wanting to get along with 48...thoughts?

Yah, monitoring 48k sessions isn't a problem, and neither is running them, but then I have to down convert.....I know this is kind of a beaten topic, but...does the benefit of running 48k (and the Axe will ONLY run 48k), bypassing the DA to AD conversion process, get outweighed by having to trim the final mix down to 44.1k?

Test it both ways. Record something with S/PDIF and kick it down to 44.1k, and then record the same thing with XLR at 44.1k. See which sounds better.