ay ay ay, death metal and The New Yorker

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
via Blabbermouth, but probably best to read the whole story and not just the excerpts:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/070122fa_fact_khatchadourian?page=1

The musically relevant portions start maybe 2/3rd of the way down the first page.

If you're not familiar with heavy metal in general or death metal in particular (which I assume is the case with the reporter), how warped are your views going to be if Mr. Prozak is your tour guide?

Man...this article reminded me of how much I detest the New Yorker school of reporting.

Facts and incidents marshaled in a detached and urbane manner suitable for cocktail party quips to flow smoothly along with the vermouth and then you get some technocratic "expert" who formerly served in the government supplying the "analysis" at the end:

"The only significant finding was that the future terrorists felt isolated, lonely, and emotionally alienated."

Which leads to this insicive chestnut:

"the 'bunch of guys' theory"

Christ....the powers and depth of perceptiveness is astounding.

Hails to Seymour Hersh, though. It is good that the magazine has provided him with a high-profile forum and that he has lost none of his combativeness when comes to taking a hard-nosed look at the activities of the best and the brightest suits and uniforms around.

The death metal digression wasn’t as bad as it could be, but it is kind of just floating around out there in the air with granola-eating folk music.

But...

Onstage, artists often wore sweatpants to demonstrate their athleticism
Wow.

Where heavy metal gets a lot of the guys who lift weights and punch out beer cans, death metal is a really interesting combination of people, but it’s a lot of just nerd.
Nice to see that ol' Prozak has about much to say about heavy metal as a reporter from a mid-sized market normally reviewing Jay Z, Gwen Stefani and My Morning Jacket mailed a promo CD from NB, MB, RR or CM would.

wildfyr said:
By the way, your avvy of Ernest Borgnine makes me giggle. :heh:
Ernest Borgnine is the man and The Wild Bunch is the best western movie ever made. :)

Where heavy metal gets a lot of the guys who lift weights and punch out beer cans, death metal is a really interesting combination of people, but it’s a lot of just nerd.

Nice to see that ol' Prozak has about much to say about heavy metal as a reporter from a mid-sized market normally reviewing Jay Z, Gwen Stefani and My Morning Jacket mailed a promo CD from NB, MB, RR or CM would.

Nice to see that a company that presumably pays people for quality control can still print broken English as well. :D

See. He loved metal and thought it should be commericial free. Next thing you know he's a terrorist. Something we don't know about you Jim? Though it would be somewhat funny if the government starts to see "true metal" as a terrorist threat ;)

I found the article to be interesting, but yeah the part about heavy metal was just off in so many ways.