Ayreon - your thoughts?

I have almost no experience w/ Ayreon, actually. I kept meaning to check them out a year or two ago, but after The Human Equation came out and everyone slobbered over it, I became a bit apprehensive, cuz I knew it prolly wouldn't hold up to all this absurd praise. Still a band on my list to check out, definitely.

Eternal Dragon said:
Hey I just had a great idea. How about while we wait for the new SymX album we start on our own Ayreon project?? Everyone on this forum, all combining stuff into one compilation. That would give things around here a bit of a boost seeing as there aint much 2 talk about. Who's in?? Btw I havent had any more thought to this other than what I just said... so i got no ideas how it will work, but i guess it could.

you want us arguing more than we already do? :lol:

its not fair IMO to compare Opeth and Ayreon, totally different styles of music. I might not be right but I've thought to myself listening to Ghost Reveries that perhaps Mikhael has taken some influence from his work with Arjen for this one. Personally I think they're both amazingly talented at what they do, one is not 'better' than the other, its just style preferences for the individual. So the arguments are pointless.

arglebargle said:
I have almost no experience w/ Ayreon, actually. I kept meaning to check them out a year or two ago, but after The Human Equation came out and everyone slobbered over it, I became a bit apprehensive, cuz I knew it prolly wouldn't hold up to all this absurd praise. Still a band on my list to check out, definitely.

well I'm sure there'll be songs you'll love and songs you'll hate, as with anything, I think its just the concept of the album and the work put into it that everyone goes on about (myself included) so dont let that scare you..

It's funny, I really disliked THE the first time I heard it. The second time, I still found it boring and uninspired. The third time, I decided to follow the lyrics...now I think it's one of the best albums ever (I have a hard time deciding between THE and DWoT for best album).

It happened again when I listened to ITEC. Very boring and tedious yadda yadda third time yadda yadda great album! I guess that's the Ayreon magic.

Sabin17 said:
It's funny, I really disliked THE the first time I heard it. The second time, I still found it boring and uninspired. .

that is about where I stopped. I'm listening to it now, and I 'll give it another chance.

Liquid Tension said:
I don't like Killswitch and to claim they are a younger better looking version of Opeth is pretty ignorant so The guy is getting what he deserves....

How is this proof that Opeth fans are the most close minded?

I do actually like both Opeth and KsE at the same time. But KsE has got a LONG way to go to reach the same level of sophistication as Opeth. My reasons for listening to KsE are totally different than why I listen to Opeth...so I think that ought to say THIS Opeth fan is pretty open-minded. ;)