Star One (Ayreon) live CD/DVD

GabrielKnight

The Beast Within
May 31, 2002
New York
Visit site
I just got Star One's "Live on Earth" special edition (the one with DVD), and I feel like telling fellow SX fans about it. ;) For those who don't know, Star One is one of the Arjen Lucassen's projects, who's better known for Ayreon. Russel was a guest vocalist for this project. So anyway... it comes in a nice DVD digipack, the packaging alone is work of art. And then the DVD... I was always curious to see how Ayreon is live, well this one is just amazing, I wish I could ever see them live! If you are an Ayreon fan, you definitely want to get it, if you don't have it already. Even though it's not exactly Ayreon, they still played a few of "heavier" Ayreon songs, so you'll be very happy :headbang:

I am so glad everyone here told me about Ayreon and Arjen Lucassen, I really enjoy all the songs.

Russel and Romeo also did a song for Ayreon on the Universal Migrator that is a really good song, Dawn of a Million Souls... Romeo is one of the best guitarists alive!

gee you only JUST got star one? I JUST got a new dvd player recently (after having been without one for a year), so I watched the behind the scenes of that the other night for the first time. Not nearly enough BTS footage but still cool what was there.

GabrielKnight said:
I just got Star One's "Live on Earth" special edition (the one with DVD), and I feel like telling fellow SX fans about it. ;) For those who don't know, Star One is one of the Arjen Lucassen's projects, who's better known for Ayreon. Russel was a guest vocalist for this project. So anyway... it comes in a nice DVD digipack, the packaging alone is work of art. And then the DVD... I was always curious to see how Ayreon is live, well this one is just amazing, I wish I could ever see them live! If you are an Ayreon fan, you definitely want to get it, if you don't have it already. Even though it's not exactly Ayreon, they still played a few of "heavier" Ayreon songs, so you'll be very happy :headbang:

Wow! WHat a coincidence! I too am from NY, and I too just GOT the Star One CDs. They were delivered to my job here in Manhattan on Monday, 1/3!
I've not yet watched the DVD, but have listened to the CDs and love them!

I'm new to Arjen's music....having only 'dicovered' Ayreon through The Human Equation last month! Now, I'm hooked for life!!

of course the camera work is low-budget....it was recorded "by the fans, for the fans"...it was never meant to be a live DVD originally....it was only when it was found out that some half-decent video footage existed, recorded by some fans, that it was decided that they would use the different bootleg footage like multiple camera angles in a pro job....read the booklet that comes with it....it explains better than I can exactly WHY the footage is so relatively "low quality"....

The Stormbringer said:
One of the most entertaining live DVDs I've ever seen (although the camera work is a little low-budget)... the "cast", so to speak, is just beyond cool.

Yeah, the cast is amazing! Russel is great of course, Jansen sisters sounded awesome, they are perfect together, and I was quite impressed by Damien Wilson, who sang a song that was originally recorded with Bruce Dickinson (Into the Black Hole), and did an excellent job with that. Also the keyboardist was really cool. And let's not forget Ajren himself :cool: Oh and the bass solo was hilarious :D

like I said, the camera work isn't great.. but if it wasn't for those fan recordings, there would have never been an Ayreon DVD. Anyway, the sound quality is awesome. Arjen knows how to mix things.

Yeah, the sound quality more than makes up for the camera work. Great dvd. My only complaint would be that it's not in 5.1 surround.

I actually enjoy Space Metal more than the Ayreon albums for some reason.

The entire show is fantastic, but you can't deny the power of Russell Allen, live, on DVD!!! Singing "The Boxer" with Arjen, and "Shooting Star" with the other singers in the "behind the scenes" footage? Sweet!

And "Dawn of a Million Souls" still gives me chills, as does the ending of "Eye of Ra". Damn!

Oh, and the bonus of "Space Truckin'"? How cool is that?

My only disappointment is that "Master of Darkness" wasn't done live, but you can't have everything.

with the money and exposure Arjen has been getting, it would be quite intriguing to see where progressive music's true prolific mastermind will be taking us all next...

Arjen never ceases to amaze...

with the money and exposure Arjen has been getting, it would be quite intriguing to see where progressive music's true prolific mastermind will be taking us all next...

according to his website his next album will just feature Marcela Bovia (the chick who sang the wife part on THE).

My only disappointment is that "Master of Darkness" wasn't done live

totally agree. love that song.

Taliwakker said:
according to his website his next album will just feature Marcela Bovia (the chick who sang the wife part on THE).

totally agree. love that song.

Yes, I read the news too,

one singer doesn't really make a difference, he could do it with no singers if he wanted to...

GabrielKnight said:
I was quite impressed by Damien Wilson, who sang a song that was originally recorded with Bruce Dickinson (Into the Black Hole),
The most impressive, intense moment of the gig if you ask me. Bruce's performance on the album was really good, but Damien's live rendition is unbelievable, especially the chorus after the gloomy middle section.
The DVD has a lot of songs that are just pure fun... come on, how cool is "Intergalactic Space Crusaders"? :D