Ayreon

Minion520

Minion
Jan 29, 2004
Bergen County, N.J.
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I just got the new Ayreon album, i'm listening to it for the first time as we speak and i think its fuckin amazing. I kind of bought it spontaniously, but i can definetly feel that "new favorite album" feeling coming on, you know the feeling i'm talin about.

Would I enjoy this new one if I liked "Into The Electric Castle" and "Migrator part 2"? Because I looked at the names involved in this one, and I'm kind of like "meh".

It's true! This album is absolutely brilliant! One of my favorite releases of 2004! If you can't tolerate a couple uplifting songs though then this is not for you! As the lyrical content is based on a man who get's in a car accident and winds up in a coma. Surrounded by his wife and best friend it is revealed that they are in an extra marital affair with one another. Which was basically a result of the main character "Me" overly focused on his career. Some great songs about how his father finds him to be a "loser" who is just like his mother. (His mother passed quite some years ago and that left a traumatic effect on him) Other songs such as the first day they met (which is a cheese filled love song that makes me feel all gushy inside) are great! All the singers on this album are fucking ace! (Even Labrie is good!{he is my least fav on the album, loved him on Tot though} Female vocalists Heather Findlay & Marcelo Bovia are absolutely breath taking with their cherubic esque delivery! This album is very absent of metal! But if you have an open mind and are into "good" music from all walks of sound...Then Buy this album today!

That's all fine and dandy, but would I enjoy it if I liked "Electric Castle" and "Migrator 2"? I hated "Migrator 1", and those three are all I've heard from Ayreon.

This new release isn't Metal by any stretch of the imagination (you're a fool if you think it is), but I like it a lot!

I think this is the first time I've heard Mikael Akerfeldt of Blowpeth actually sing rather than exhale into the microphone. He actually doesn't have that bad of a singing voice.

Jean-Pierre said:
I think this is the first time I've heard Mikael Akerfeldt of Blowpeth actually sing rather than exhale into the microphone. He actually doesn't have that bad of a singing voice.
Uh, you do realize that Opeth released an entire non-metal album?

ShroudOfDusk said:
Uh, you do realize that Opeth released an entire non-metal album?

I definitely didn't listen to it. :) If I wanted non-metal I'd listen to Alan Parsons Project, Rush, YES, etc. I don't need another suckage fest, Sweden style.

EDIT: And you probably think I was just talking about Mikael's "growls". No, on the Opeth albums I've heard (pretty much all except the new one) he sounds awful when he sings. I can exhale sadly too, do you want to hear me?

You can credit Arjen for that. Mikael still seems to be. . .less than stellar on writing vocal melodies. He's got a good enough voice, but. . .whatever.

I'm a big Ayreon fan. Into the Electric Castle was my first introduction to his music and it blew me away. The Human Equation is very much like it but with a real story and not knights and spacemen. You have to like diversity in music though for there's not so much metal on it. Lots of Pink Floyd influences.

I definitely didn't listen to it. If I wanted non-metal I'd listen to Alan Parsons Project, Rush, YES, etc. I don't need another suckage fest, Sweden style.

You missed the point entirely, I think.