Band DVDs with in studio footage

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hello guys, I'm looking for metal band dvds that contain in studio footage while recording similar to metallica's "year and a half".
Can anyone recommend anything?

I have:
Chimaira - Resurrection
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose

The DVD got me into Chimaira.

I am not an In Flames fan (*puts on flak jacket*) but bought the album for the DVD.

The resurrection DVD is pretty cool. Seeing Andols drumming is great and seeing the version of Six is excellent. As well as the other funny stuff.

i totally love the In Flames one, very inspirational. others i could reccomend would be Megadeths Evolver, however its on video (but you can find it all on youtube!) the Roadrunner United DVD is pretty cool. Mastodons Blood Mountain DVD making of is good too wen i look at my dvd collection ill post more!

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

In Flames - Come Clarity

Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague

There's loads more,.. but i'm away from the house right now (snowboarding in France!!).

Most metal bands these days have videos on their Special Editions I find.

I think few can be as good as the Chimaira DVDs, The one bundled with Resurrection mainly. Dehumanizing process has a little bit of studio stuff.

Does the Sense of Purpose In Flames DVD compare to the Resurrection one? I hate that album with a passion ("We're not even trying"... yeah, too fuckin right!), but I would pick it up if the DVDs cool, cos I'm still an In Flames fan.

Oh, and I think there's a DVD with my SYL - Alien CD, too. That shows them doing some in-studio practicing and stuff, and there's a short DVD bundled with a Soilwork album, the latest one I think.

Meisterjäger;8100883 said:
I think few can be as good as the Chimaira DVDs, The one bundled with Resurrection mainly. Dehumanizing process has a little bit of studio stuff.

Does the Sense of Purpose In Flames DVD compare to the Resurrection one? I hate that album with a passion ("We're not even trying"... yeah, too fuckin right!), but I would pick it up if the DVDs cool, cos I'm still an In Flames fan.

Oh, and I think there's a DVD with my SYL - Alien CD, too. That shows them doing some in-studio practicing and stuff, and there's a short DVD bundled with a Soilwork album, the latest one I think.

It's "Without even trying" but whatever :heh:

on the rammstein - völkerball dvd (which is a great concert dvd anyway) is on 2nd disc a 60minutes rammstein documentary + making of the "reise reise" album..

Meisterjäger;8100883 said:
Oh, and I think there's a DVD with my SYL - Alien CD, too. That shows them doing some in-studio practicing and stuff,
aaaah, fck, i have that and totally forgot about it...i wanted to see that after i purchased alien back then, but somehow i forgot till now, thank you very much to remind me of that, now i have to quit working and need to go home asap!!!..

cheers
exoslime

Borknagar's "Epic" has some cool stuff, and my personal favorite touch is that Asgeir Mickelson, by all rights a very well regarded drummer, doesn't even use bass drums - he has this monstrous kit set up on a rack, but it's totally empty at the bottom except for two little trigger pads - I always love seeing justification for a 100% sample replaced kick!! Also, Soilwork's "Sworn to a Great Divide" has some cool info as well.

And yeah, big +1 to Opeth!

aaaah, fck, i have that and totally forgot about it...i wanted to see that after i purchased alien back then, but somehow i forgot till now, thank you very much to remind me of that, now i have to quit working and need to go home asap!!!..

cheers
exoslime

No worries, bro! It's very cool to see Gene going for it (If I'm thinking about the right DVD...) He tracks SYL stuff, and probably everything else, in boots with the laces undone!

Beat me to it...

Opeth "Lamentations," "Ghost Reveries" bonus, and "Watershed" bonus as well as Evergrey's bonus DVDs are my absolute favorites!

The Evergrey DVD in particular is a great deal for all the extra footage, packaging, and great live concert.

-Joe

Fear Factory - Linchpin EP has about 15 minutes of studio stuff/general album discussion
Fear Factory - Archetype has a 30 minute studio video on the US version, while the European version has live footage (though I believe both DVDs are in circulation everywhere, but mostly the aforementioned)
Fear Factory - Transgression has a studio video thingy
Rotting Christ - Theogonia has a 15 minute studio segment
Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn/Kill/Evisceration Plague all have a lot of studio footage on the CD+DVD versions of the releases
Devin Townsend - Synchestra has a 40 minute (iirc) studio video on the CD+DVD version (+ a studio live "gig")
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul has a 40 minute studio thingy on the DualDisc reissue
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos has a 60 minute studio clip on the CD+DVD version (and most Dream Theater DVDs have some studio/gear stuff)
Evergrey - A Night to Remember has been mentioned, but the whole DVD bonus package is so great it deserves a second mention 8)
In Flames - The Quiet Place CDS has a short studio video
Opeth - Lamentations DVD has a long making of thingy on Deliverance and Damnation
Opeth - Ghost Reveries reissue has a studio video
The Berzerker - The Principles and Practices of the Berzerker DVD has a HUMONGOUS amount of studio stuff.

There's some from what I can remember.

"Watershed" bonus

I don't remember any studio footage? Wasn't it all just rehearsal footage.

Yeah, pretty much, there's bits of Axenrot tracking drums but that's it as far as I remember! Still great though, I loved seeing the songwriting process between Mike and Fred in Mike's little "studio" of sorts