Band gives me this reference : Fit For a King - Guitar tone and production info ?

Jan 11, 2011
Hey Guys !

I don't particularly dig that album or that production, but the band I'm mixing is specifically asking for a similar sound , especially guitar-wise .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdfBJwhtE8

Anyone here might identify what is going on ?

Seems like it's been recorded and mixed by Magnusson .

I'd say guitars are 5150 but I might be wrong

I sent them a first mix already that I was pretty stoked about but they keep saying they want to sound more like fit for a king .

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Get your fuckin sound dude don't try to copy -_-"
I didn't know this band but it's really cool! And I hear Peavey too but can't help more sorry :/

Good luck

Unfortunately "dude" fulfilling clients requests is part of the job.

+1

I understand the whole "engineers are creative artists themselves" which is completely true, but your job is to offer a service and fulfill your clients needs. You can't do it without the client and that's who is making you your money. It's always beneficial though to try and explain to the band how everything works and why mixes are different

Yep , as you guys said , it's our job to fullfill the client's requests !

I also think it's stupid to say "I want THIS sound" , but whatever makes the client happy :)

The vocalist of the band also want his voice to sound exactly like this record (He believes that they voices are very similar - not really if you ask me) , and says "just use the exact same treatment" , haha .

@anotherpaul : I've seen those studio updates but they don't help much

I actually sent a message to Magnusson who was kind enough to answer me , it appears that the guitars are PODfarm / treadplate dual , so that's a good starting point ! :)

+1

I understand the whole "engineers are creative artists themselves" which is completely true, but your job is to offer a service and fulfill your clients needs. You can't do it without the client and that's who is making you your money. It's always beneficial though to try and explain to the band how everything works and why mixes are different

Agreed, on all points.

I will say that every time I've come across this situation (and it happened recently), I asked the band if they wanted to sound like a copy, or sound like themselves. They have, in my experience, never wanted to sound like a copy.

Once you have them in agreement with that, you can encourage the band to try to find their own sounds for each instrument, while keeping the record as a whole in mind.

Having these conversations without sounding demeaning and superior can be hard to do, though.

...Of course the point about explaining why mixes sound different, even for songs on the same record, can be tricky and hard to convey.

Can't help about the tone, but yeah tricky thing if someone wants to sound "like" that record.

I always just try to explain, that unless they aren't the same persons, in the same room, on the same day it won't sound the "same".

Usually trying to understand what they dig about the production/production element and then trying to implement that into the record does a pretty nice job for me.

But from what you wrote so for it seems you're in for a lot of "fun" with that band ^^

I actually sent a message to Magnusson who was kind enough to answer me , it appears that the guitars are PODfarm / treadplate dual , so that's a good starting point ! :)

I believe just for tracking DI's. I think I heard it was reamped throught a 5150 and a mesa 4x12. I could be wrong.

Sounds like some kemper to me. I know the guitar they used was a 7 string schecter.
Fucking sick band though, I listen to them everyday. If you want to get that tone right, you need their bass tone though. It really glues all that together..insane bass tone

Around 2 minute mark he confirms that podfarm for tracking and reamped later.

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds exactly like the treadplate from podfarm with some surgical cuts and hp/lp if you ask me, you can tell especially when you hear those palm mutings. But i could be wrong too.

I agree. The midrange is very similar to that of POD Farm.

Can't understand how can anyone want to sound like that... The stereo image is all over the place, drums sound programmed with 127 velocity hits on that horrible left crash... Absolutely no clarity in the mix at all...

Anyways, it doesn't really matter if they used POD Farm or an amp, if you want THAT sound, POD Farm is the closest match in my opinion.

I agree. The midrange is very similar to that of POD Farm.

Can't understand how can anyone want to sound like that... The stereo image is all over the place, drums sound programmed with 127 velocity hits on that horrible left crash... Absolutely no clarity in the mix at all...

Anyways, it doesn't really matter if they used POD Farm or an amp, if you want THAT sound, POD Farm is the closest match in my opinion.
Thought it was just me... but yeah, what's going on with the stereo image ?!
Listening on headphones and it sounds phasey as hell.

Thanks for you guys' help .

It's definitely PODfarm as Magnusson confirmed it to me .

I'm not a fan of that production either TBH ! He has done way better with other bands .