HELP ME WITH REAMPING A KILLER GUITAR TONE!!

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Hello first and foremost thanks for clicking this cause that means you want to help and I REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE IT

Second, i'm new to the forum and to recording, mixing, producing etc.. so please bare with me.

I've recently started this home studio project and I'm trying to just get tips on how to get a HEAVY guitar tone by re-amping. I record mainly deathcore, death metal and hardcore and I recently finished recording my first project, my friends band 2 song demo and I think it came out OK..just OK..at least for being my first time. They are a high school band that just started so don't judge the music too much..hehe. Check it out here.

www.myspace.com/sarcinametal

This is the first time I tried re-amping and I know it has a potential to give me a killer sound if done correctly, but I don't think I know enough to get to that point..yet.

Here is what I used.

SM57 off axis
Presonus Firepod

For both guitars 2 amps layered together in independent tracks
Peavey 5150 with original 5150 cab
Peavey Triple X with Peavey XXL cab

I know is not the "ideal" set up for recording but is all I have right now.
Since I only own one SM57 for now, I had to record one track at the time.

Here are some problems I had

When I play the guitar tracks together, at certain parts of the song for some reason it loses power, it sounds like I'm having phasing problems..I dont know how to get around that, I figure I did something wrong while micing the cab.

Hope I gave enough info and hope someone has some answer that will help me be sound less like a noob.

well for starters id stick with the just one amp and mic position to eliminate the potential phase problems. The 5150 cabs speakers are not to bad, there not v30s but you should be able to get a quiet usable tone out of that cab. most people will tell you to mic on axis at the edge of the dust cap just touching the grill but the 5150 cab is really fizzy there with stock speakers

Andy Sneap himself only uses one mic, so don't worry about any crazy multi-miced positions yet.
Focus on getting the best possible tone out of just one mic.

Start with the position alan described and move the mic an inch to the left or right and keep it about an inch back from the grille. If it's still to fizzy move it even more. Too cloudy? A bit more towards the dustcap.
You'll get what you want in no time.

Some fairly standard settings for a 5150 would be

Pre: 6-7 (for passives, adjust accordingly for actives)
Bass: 6-7
Mids: 2-4
Treble: 6ish
Res: :shruggy: I DUNNO LOL NOT TOO HIGH
Pres: 7-ish

THAT SHOULD BE SOME BALLPARK SHIT THERE BRAH

well for starters id stick with the just one amp and mic position to eliminate the potential phase problems.

hmm..so is the slight shift of the mic placement that caused my phase problem?

Interestingly enough it only happened with my left guitar tracks...if i solo the 5150 & XXX tracks for the left guitar you can hear clearly that is the only time I get phase problems. Probably because I decided to use the 5150 after I had already experimented with diferent setting and mic placements, so when i found one that worked i just used the guitar track I had already done in that position as a test.