band guys - what do you charge?

damn yall get a ton of money...

i was in a pretty popular (locally) metalcore band a few years ago and we made between $25 and $80.

damn yall get a ton of money...

i was in a pretty popular (locally) metalcore band a few years ago and we made between $25 and $80.

+1 My old band The Nuclear Option could draw about 300-500 people locally and around 100-150 regionally, we were lucky to get enough for drumsticks, gas, and strings... maybe some McD's if we had a particularly good night.. of course we were self managed (and between 17-19) and probably should have asked for a flat rate instead of blindly booking shows, haha.

Ah to know then what I know now...

-P

I always aim to get 200 + food and a place to sleep (if we play more than 100 km away from our city). So far it worked most of the time but it ranges from 150 to 350 or something like that.

I'd love to get a stable guarantee of 400 + food + place to sleep + a certain amount of money for every km we have to drive. If you think about it that's not really a whole lot to ask but in the real world it seems like it's never gonna happen... :erk:

Had a great deal once were they flew us in to Berlin for two shows, paid for the flights and a hotel that was 350 a night and everyone of us got their own room for three nights. A ridiculous of money was blown... Still I didn't sleep any better (in fact even worse) in the expensive hotel than in the last "normal" one (I think it was 80) we got paid.

Reading this one thread about the black/death mix contest on the side right now... I think the problem translates to this one as well: Once you've settled on a low rate all you do is helping to devalue the market! Thus I'm always trying to get at least some money out of it. There's definitely no show below 100. Still if you think about it: Time for rehearsals, money for gear, recordings, van... It's just a joke that there is so little in it for the band!
Still I don't know how to break into the market without playing for cheap. I mean if you are really extraordinarily great it might work but lets face it - most of us aren't...